Windows 10: Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening

Discus and support Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm writing this from my phone because my computer is unusable for extended periods of time right now. My primary hard drive (the one with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ADAMPOKE111, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening

Hello, I'm writing this from my phone because my computer is unusable for extended periods of time right now.

My primary hard drive (the one with my windows installation) is becoming very problematic. It started yesterday when I noticed programs randomly hanging and not responding so I decided to do a reformat and reinstall of Windows 8.1 which is what I was using followed by another full reinstall with Windows 10. Both reinstalls and reformats may no difference and the problem persisted. Except after Windows 10 finished installing the crashing and freezing was becoming much mute frequent followed by repeated blue screens of death which has happened about 4 times now in the space 3 hours.

I have had this drive (WD Blue 10EZEX 1TB) for just over a year and half and have two of them; one for Windows and programs and one for documents, music, pictures etc. In read benchmarks the Windows install drive gets a max of 140 MB/s with minimums of 1 MB/s whereas the second drive gets 185 MB/s max and 90 MB/s min. SMART values for both drives are fine however, but is it still possible that my Windows install drive is failing?

Specs:

1. CPU: AMD FX-8320

2. GPU: GIGABYTE R9 270

3. RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro

4. Storage: 2x WD10EZEX 1TB

:)

ADAMPOKE111, Dec 16, 2016
  2. col B Win User

Frequent Windows 10 blue screen crashes

Reading the comments and suggested remedies for Windows 10 Blue Screen Crashes has been enlightening, however I have yet to find a remedy that works on our computers. My wife and I have three computers with the Windows 10 OS. The one that crashes most frequently
    is our HP Pavilion 23 All-In-One. This All-In-One came with Windows 8 and has been upgraded to 16 GB of RAM and, of course, Windows 10. Next is our Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop that came with Windows 7 and upgraded to 8 GB of RAM and Windows 10. The least
    frequent blue screen crasher is our Microsoft Surface 3 which has been very recently purchased and it came with Windows 10. These blue screen crashes occur too often and are very irritating. With our three machines I have been attempting, without success, to
    find a common thread to the crashes. Most crashes seem to occur when we are playing are online, especially playing a game such as The LA Times Just Words Scrabble (the only appearance of a common thread is that, no matter which machine, the blue screen happens
    when I'm ahead in the game). All three of our Win 10 computers seems to enjoy going blue in the middle of a very enjoyable video/movie. In addition Windows 10 seems to enjoy going blue when we are working with Office 2010 and other installed programs/apps.
    All kidding aside, the Windows 10 blue screen crash occurs way too frequently on each of our three computers and the reasons given on the blue screens differs.

Each of our computers are set for automatic updates from Microsoft and other installed programs/apps. Could that be the common thread?

col B, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 June 2017 Update KB4022405 ISSUES

I'm having issues with this update as well.

For me computer works too but it becomes slow, crash with blue screen and frequently restart to restore and recovery screen!! All this happens just after this update!

I tried to uninstall this, but the option to "uninstall" is goes away, as soon as I select this update, I was able to uninstall other updates.

After I did System Restore to older date this update is still there.

Please fix this issue or allow us to uninstall this update.

many thanks

Past.Melody, Dec 16, 2016
  4. Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening

Run a memory diagnostic tool like memtest86+. You should get zero errors. Run chkdsk against your primary drive to ensure there are no errors. Hopefully one of these will give you an indication of where the trouble lies.

Caledon Ken, Dec 16, 2016
  5. I've done a scan of the memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest86+ from an Ubuntu Live USB and both report no errors. I did a CHKDSK from a recovery USB and it initially reported some errors and then I re-ran the command with the switch added to fix errors and it finished saying there were no errors. Problem still persists though. Disk is spiking to 100% usage with hardly anything reading or writing from it apart from a few megabytes and the system and all the programs keep locking up; followed by a BSOD sometimes. I think the drive is failing.

ADAMPOKE111, Dec 16, 2016
  6. Are the BSOD's pointing to a specific driver or dll?

Unless others have better idea i would get see if your disk manufacture had a SM.A.R.T. tool. Wiki has a page on smart tools.
    Comparison of S.M.A.R.T. tools - Wikipedia

I would also be copying out any data files that haven't been backed up yet.

Caledon Ken, Dec 17, 2016
  7. Luckily this drive on had programs and Windows on it. All my important music, videos, pictures documents etc are on a 2nd hard drive.

Also new information has to light to why this is happening: https://i.imgur.com/mAIih7E.png

Now I'm worried it might be the SATA Bus/Controller or the motherboard that has caused this - or a SATA or power cable or even the power supply!

ADAMPOKE111, Dec 17, 2016
  8. Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening

Well if it is being cause by MB or power supply I would first focus on a full data backup. I would still look into S.M.A.R.T. tool to actually look at drive performance.

You can start to isolate problem by getting a PSU tester. I use a Thermaltake Dr. Power. Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Dec 17, 2016
  9. I don't have any PSU tester but I have a multimeter, can I use that? Also is it possible that it could be the SATA cable?

ADAMPOKE111, Dec 17, 2016
  10. I'm sure you can do with a multimeter although I never attempted and you would have to know all the pin out on the connectors. A sort would be a very bad thing. You would have to Google. Not sure if Dr Power also runs any tests for stability which you won't see on multimeter.

Yes cables fail as do connection points. I guess it would be better to say connection points can develop a little corrosion depending on environment. I should also added that while a cable can fail they usually do it from day one or they are under a stress from vibration / movement or heat / cold.

With machine fully powered down you could reseat cables and reseat drives if they are plugged into a back plane within case. Sata cables are cheap so they can be replaced, buy quality as all cables are not created equally.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening

1. Computer slow, programs crashing and frequent blue screening - Similar Threads - Computer slow programs

2. Frequent blue screen crashes on new computer build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent blue screen crashes on new computer build: Built a new PC about 2 weeks ago and have been getting blue screens and/or crashes of google chrome and games fairly frequently. The blue screens error messages aren't always for the same error. And blue screens can happen randomly, sometimes overnight when computer is in...
  3. Frequent blue screen crashes on new computer build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent blue screen crashes on new computer build: Built a new PC about 2 weeks ago and have been getting blue screens and/or crashes of google chrome and games fairly frequently. The blue screens error messages aren't always for the same error. And blue screens can happen randomly, sometimes overnight when computer is in...
  4. Frequent blue screen crashes on new computer build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Blue screens and starting to be frequent crashes on my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screens and starting to be frequent crashes on my computer.: So for the past 2 months I have been getting complete system crashes when playing games or blue screens on both win 10 and now currently 11 such as system thread exception not handled or driver irql less or not equal or kernel related ones. Can someone please help me? I tried...
  6. Blue screens and starting to be frequent crashes on my computer.

Blue screens and starting to be frequent crashes on my computer.: So for the past 2 months I have been getting complete system crashes when playing games or blue screens on both win 10 and now currently 11 such as system thread exception not handled or driver irql less or not equal or kernel related ones. Can someone please help me? I tried...
  7. Frequent Blue screen Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent Blue screen Crashes: Hello,I have a 6 months old asus tuff15 fx506LI and for some reason from the past 2 weeks i have been experiencing frequent blue screen crash.My computer just stops working suddenly and the display gets stuck.I have updated all the drivers but the problem has not been...
  8. Frequent Blue screen Crashes

Frequent Blue screen Crashes: Hello,I have a 6 months old asus tuff15 fx506LI and for some reason from the past 2 weeks i have been experiencing frequent blue screen crash.My computer just stops working suddenly and the display gets stuck.I have updated all the drivers but the problem has not been...
  9. Frequent blue-screen crashes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Frequent blue-screen crashes: How can I fix frequent several per day blue-screen errors: "stopcode=fltmgr"? Is this likely a software or a hardware problem? PC is running Windows 10 / with latest updates. PC is an HP Pavilion, Core I5, SSD, one-yr old. PC is connected to a USB external HD Western...
  10. Blue Screen Crashes Frequently

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue Screen Crashes Frequently: Hello, I've been playing on my laptop for a bit longer than a year and have recently run into an issue with blue screen crashes occurring every time I play games. I'm not sure what happened, but it's always the same error type: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and iaStorA.sys...