Windows 10: Computer Speed Slow in Windows Standard Mode But Normal in Safe Mode

Discus and support Computer Speed Slow in Windows Standard Mode But Normal in Safe Mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 Laptop. Running Windows it operates slowly. Checking the speed in Task Manager it shows processor usage of never more than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MarianneBates, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Computer Speed Slow in Windows Standard Mode But Normal in Safe Mode

I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 Laptop. Running Windows it operates slowly. Checking the speed in Task Manager it shows processor usage of never more than 16% and processor speed of .38 Gigahertz and sure enough everything runs like molasses. When I boot into Safe Mode and check the speed in Task Manager it shows processor usage fluctuating above 16% and processor speed of 2.4 Gigahertz. Dell's online diagnostic testing doesn't show any issues with the hardware. I am a novice, but this seems to be a software issue rather than a hardware one.

Any suggestions are welcome.

:)

MarianneBates, Jul 18, 2018
  2. psyko12 Win User

Safe mode problems

System refuses to go to safe mode unless, 1. using the directory service repair mode, 2. in windows go to msconfig use diagnostic startup and then boot back and choose normal safe mode.

Other than that, when not using two statements above, when safe mode is used it restarts the computer, Is there a software/driver conflict? Or maybe disabled a used service so windows doesn't want to go to normal safe mode? Any help is welcome, *Bang Head :banghead:

Thanks in advance

psyko12, Jul 18, 2018
  3. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Computer Speed Slow in Windows Standard Mode But Normal in Safe Mode

PC stuck in Safe mode, unable to boot to Normal mode.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• What error do you get when you try to boot in normal mode?
    • Did you entered Safe mode through Windows Recovery Environment or through System Config?

I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it works:

• Press Windows key + R and type msconfig and hit enter.
    • On the General tab, tap or click the Normal Startup option.
    • On the Boot tab, uncheck all the option under Safe mode.
    • Tap or click OK, when you are prompted to restart the computer, tap or click Restart.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

Computer Speed Slow in Windows Standard Mode But Normal in Safe Mode

1. Computer Speed Slow in Windows Standard Mode But Normal in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Computer Speed Slow

2. Mega slow USB speed in normal Windows 10 mode, but very good in Safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mega slow USB speed in normal Windows 10 mode, but very good in Safe mode: Hello I need help.I have very slow speed with any USB flash memory and very good speed if it is external HDD.If I boot to Safe mode the speed of the same USB flash memory is perfect!Here are the screenshoots to compare:Normal mode:Safe mode:...
  3. Mega slow USB speed in normal Windows 10 mode, but very good in Safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mega slow USB speed in normal Windows 10 mode, but very good in Safe mode: Hello I need help.I have very slow speed with any USB flash memory and very good speed if it is external HDD.If I boot to Safe mode the speed of the same USB flash memory is perfect!Here are the screenshoots to compare:Normal mode:Safe mode:...
  4. Mega slow USB speed in normal Windows 10 mode, but very good in Safe mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer freezes in safe mode but NOT in normal mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes in safe mode but NOT in normal mode: I am having a very strange problem where my computer only freezes in safe mode but not during normal use. I was having some stuttering issues with a game so I decided to use DDU and reinstall my graphics driver. It's best to do this in safe mode, but every time my computer...
  6. Computer freezes in safe mode but NOT in normal mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes in safe mode but NOT in normal mode: I am having a very strange problem where my computer only freezes in safe mode but not during normal use. I was having some stuttering issues with a game so I decided to use DDU and reinstall my graphics driver. It's best to do this in safe mode, but every time my computer...
  7. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow internet speeds outside safe mode: So, we just moved my partners computer over to my place and setting up internet. His speeds are just garbage.I get 80/80 speed, he gets tops 20/0.5 No matter if we switch network cables. The speed is consistent. So it seems located to his computerIn safe mode, he gets good...
  8. Slow internet in normal mode but fast in safe mode

Slow internet in normal mode but fast in safe mode: Hi guys, In the past week my internet suddenly slowed down for some reason. At first i thought it was ISP problem but after calling them and let a techinician come to check, he couldn't find any problem. Even more, he tried the internet with his own computer and it was...
  9. Windows internet speeds are slow in normal boot, fast in safe mode

Windows internet speeds are slow in normal boot, fast in safe mode: My question directly relates to this post but it's locked... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-download-speed-on-windows-10-computer/138d42b7-65cd-42a7-aff4-f71896ba0f2b?page=2 I have a similar setup to the OP. I have 1 Gbit fiber from my...
  10. Slow speed in normal mode fast speed in safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow speed in normal mode fast speed in safe mode: Hi, I tested my speed (PC connected by Ethernet cable) and a couple of days ago i noticed it had dropped to 20 Mbps (i usually get 60+) so having searched online i found it could be a conflict, a few threads pointed to AMD quick stream so i uninstalled it and it made no...