Windows 10: Computer starting from manufacturer boot animation after suspend/sleep

Discus and support Computer starting from manufacturer boot animation after suspend/sleep in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey guys, I've had a problem where I would put my laptop to sleep, and when it wakes up it doesn't save my session; it's basically boots from scratch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by skyles, Oct 14, 2015.

1. skyles Win User

Computer starting from manufacturer boot animation after suspend/sleep

Hey guys,
    I've had a problem where I would put my laptop to sleep, and when it wakes up it doesn't save my session; it's basically boots from scratch so when I log in it has to reload all background applications as well as restoring my open applications.
    I've posted this here because it may be related to the Intel HD Graphics 4400 driver I recently updated (with which I can't roll back, as I just reset the system).

Any response associated with this question is appreciated.
    Thanks!

:)

skyles, Oct 14, 2015
  2. pdario Win User

Windows 10: sceen goes black after boot; I need to make it sleep and turn it on again

Hello, I recenlty upgraded my Win7 x64 to Win10.

All seems right, apart that I always need to cycle a computer sleep to make it boot correctly.

What happens is:

• cold boot
    • Win loading animation
    • screen goes black (no cursor, it is completely turned off)
    • I press sleep button, computer suspends
    • I turn it on again and I have the screen again
    I'm using it on an Acer notebook that has both integrated Intel graphics and a separate ATI Radeon card (and a switch button that I don't know if still works...).

What can I do/check?

Thank you!

pdario, Oct 14, 2015
  3. VarunNaga Win User
    windows 10 black screen after update and after leaving PC to sleep?

Ok I see that this issue is common enough. I'm also getting it on my Windows 10 install (screen goes blank after resuming from sleep). I have confirmed that it's not a hardware problem because sleep (or "Suspend") works perfectly on Linux Mint which is installed
    on dual boot.

Please fix this.

VarunNaga, Oct 14, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Are you sure it sleeps? It might hibernate instead. Hibernation involves saving the RAM into hard disk and then switch off. When you switch it on again it reads the disk and copies the data back to RAM. This takes more time than waking from a sleep state. Do that again and observe the power LED. If it goes off completely, it probably hibernates. If it goes yellow or is slowly blinking it sleeps.

spapakons, Oct 14, 2015
  5. skyles Win User
    The blinking power indicator means that the computer "should" be in sleep mode, and even if it was hibernating, I still have the problem of the machine not saving my session and data.
    The problem is no matter what happens, it doesn't save my session.
    I've been having Intel Graphics driver problems for a while now (used to BSOD when waking up from sleep; fixing memory preallocation fixed that). It's been working fine until after I reset my PC.

skyles, Oct 15, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    spapakons, Oct 15, 2015
  7. skyles Win User
    I've used the Intel Driver Update Utility. I install the only driver that pops up in "Latest", but as soon as I restart and start Windows Update, it automagically tries to update my "out of date" drivers.
    Windows Update automatically installs the manufacturer drivers, which override the generic Intel provided ones, being Windows 10 Home, it's pretty hard to stop it from installing faulty drivers.

I'll uninstall the driver, than reinstall the generic again (this time from the Intel site) and I'll see if I can get it to work better.

In the meantime, do you know if there is any BIOS option or Windows setting that might be at fault when suspending to RAM? Maybe a power option?

Thanks again for you reply.

skyles, Oct 15, 2015
  8. skyles Win User

I just installed the latest drivers (ver. 15.40.7.64.4279) from the Intel Download Center, but it didn't fix the problem. Windows also didn't waste any time updating the driver back to the manufacturer's provided one (10.18.15.4256).
    I'm starting to think this may be more of a power settings option, but I'll sit tight and see what people here can come up with here.
    Thanks guys.

skyles, Oct 15, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Search for Control and click to open the classic (desktop) Control Panel. Then click View by Large icons to see all controls. Click the Power Options and Change plan settings on the selected plan. Click Change advanced power settings to see them all. Expand Sleep and Allow wake up timers. Set that to disabled. See if your problem is solved.

spapakons, Oct 15, 2015
  10. skyles Win User
    They were the first thing I checked. They were already turned off. I have also already set the hibernate timeouts to "Never". It still doesn't work.
    The thing is the PC stays asleep, but it just doesn't like waking up, like it has short-term memory loss or something and can't remember what it just did. Shutting it down and restarting it is shorter than suspending it then waking it. That may be something important, but we'll see.
    Thanks again.

EDIT: I was just thinking it might be something with the RAM, although I'm not sure Windows sleep function is the same as Linux suspend to RAM. I'm guessing it is. Is there such a thing as RAM drivers? Or maybe it could have come loose inside the laptop shell itself.

skyles, Oct 15, 2015
  11. spapakons Win User
    RAM incompatibility can cause various symptoms. Did you ever upgraded your RAM? It could be that the memory modules are not fully compatible with your motherboard. No there are no drivers for RAM, it works as it is. Try changing RAM modules (borrow from a friend) and see if the problem fixes.

spapakons, Oct 15, 2015
  12. skyles Win User
    I was thinking more like loose connections. I can't even access my battery in this thing, let alone the RAM modules. The entire laptop seems closed and I'm not really comfortable in taking apart something where I can't see what is underneath it.
    It still says there is 8.00 GB installed, so maybe the laptop is failing to provide power for the RAM modules as it stays asleep.

skyles, Oct 16, 2015
  13. Computer starting from manufacturer boot animation after suspend/sleep

You might try uninstalling the drivers with DDU and reinstalling them from Intel's & Nvidia's websites. I've found Win 10 does a horrible job updating graphics drivers, appearing to not fully uninstall old drivers. DDU will block Windows Update from updating the drivers temporarily and fully uninstall old drivers. Best of luck!

fracking4oil, Oct 18, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Have you noticed a "Search for Updates" option when upgrading to Windows 10? This also searches for updated drivers and replaces any "old" driver before installing Windows 10. Unfortunately almost always the new driver is Microsoft (not from original manufacturer) and is not 100% compatible with the devices, hence the problems.

So my advice for anyone else considering upgrading to Windows 10 is to download all new drivers before the upgrade, directly from the manufacturer. Then uncheck this Search for updates box when upgrading to Windows 10. Even better, disconnect from the internet just to make sure Windows Update will not try to mess your drivers. After successfully upgrading to Windows 10, install all new drivers and restart your computer. At this point it should be safe to connect to the internet again. The drivers are already updated so the chance that they are affected is minimum.

spapakons, Oct 18, 2015
  15. There is hardly hardware problem - I have pretty the same specs and it works fine for me, but to be 100% - sure, check your RAM with memtest+86. Also, to exclude internal videocard issues, try to disable it in BIOS and check things again.

altproject, Oct 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Computer starting from manufacturer boot animation after suspend/sleep - Similar Threads - Computer starting manufacturer

2. Will the boot animation show?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will the boot animation show?: I'm planning to do the registry thing for the new boot animation ring, and I have my laptop in UEFI. I've heard that it doesn't show up in UEFI. And I really want the ring to show under the HP logo. Will it show or will it not show under the HP logo when it's booting up? I'm...
  3. Windows 10 Computer doesn't wake correctly up after sleep suspend

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Computer doesn't wake correctly up after sleep suspend: Hi everyone,I hope someone can help me with this as I'm running out of ways to troubleshoot this issue.I have a new PC custom build with an MSI Z590-A PRO board, 32GB 2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM 3600MHz, Core i7 11700K water-cooled, and an MSI Suprim X 3080 RTX graphics...
  4. Windows boot logo animation Vs Manufacturer’s version.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows boot logo animation Vs Manufacturer’s version.: I had someone ask me recently about what happened to the Windows boot animation (Windows logo with dotted circle) as they only saw the Manufacturers logo with the dotted circle animation, and it got me wondering as I too have not seen the Windows logo animation. I see the...
  5. Computer boots from sleep as if it were shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer boots from sleep as if it were shutdown.: I have been trying to put my computer to sleep as I normally have the past few nights, but when I turn it on the next morning it starts up as if it were shutdown. I have checked to ensure that the system and drivers are updated, and the event log shows "The previous system...
  6. BSOD after starting from sleeping mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after starting from sleeping mode: My system is always getting BSOD after starting up from sleeping mode. The system is built in around two months ago and the only thing i did is changing my GPU. Don't know if that is the issue if the driver of that last GPU is leading to BSOD. System specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen...
  7. BLACK SCREEN AFTER boot animation!

in Windows 10 Support
    BLACK SCREEN AFTER boot animation!: Please be advised: posted in this part as other catagories did not say crash. If moving to better part please inform! Preface: no image backup exsits for system; User says: " yes it will in future" System:HP Compaq Elite 2300 all-in-one touch Windows 10 build partially...
  8. BLACK SCREEN AFTER boot animation!

BLACK SCREEN AFTER boot animation!: Please be advised: posted in this part as other catagories did not say crash. If moving to better part please inform! Preface: no image backup exsits for system; User says: " yes it will in future" System:HP Compaq Elite 2300 all-in-one touch Windows 10 build partially...
  9. BSOD after starting computer and wakening from sleep

BSOD after starting computer and wakening from sleep: I got my Surface Book 2 a week ago and have experienced 2 BSOD errors. The first one happened when the computer woke up from sleep. The second one happened this evening immediately after I started the computer and clicked on the Mail app. I have uploaded my log and...
  10. Computer would boot from scratch after put to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer would boot from scratch after put to sleep: After upgrading to Windows 10 everything was going smooth, until few days ago I noticed that the sleep function is not working properly. After asked to sleep the computer will boot from scratch and all the unsaved data is lost. My computer is ASUS K551LN, Intel i7 4500U...