Windows 10: Computer takes forever to fully shut down.

Discus and support Computer takes forever to fully shut down. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer has been taking around ~5-10+ minutes to fully shut down. It starts to shut down normally when I press shut down in the start menu,shutting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gage00, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Gage00 Win User

Computer takes forever to fully shut down.

My computer has been taking around ~5-10+ minutes to fully shut down. It starts to shut down normally when I press shut down in the start menu,shutting down screen, screen turns off and everything... but, everything is still on (lights, fans, hdd). I've had this problem for about a month and a half now and decided to get a new ssd to install windows on, I was excited for this problem to go away but frustratingly its still here even after that. Maybe its something with the BIOS? When I shut down, and after waiting ~5-10 mins to turn it back on, it seems to start up slower than usual almost like it crashed or something. Also when I put it to sleep the screen turns off but it seems that's about it, fans, lights, everything is still up and running and eventually turns off or crashes(?). Any help?

EDIT: Solved! I was messing around in my BIOS and did an Internet Flash to update it and its fixed! weird...

:)

Gage00, Mar 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 takes forever to shut down

Hi Brian,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query.

Method 1: Run power troubleshooter
    from the following steps, and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Type Troubleshooting
    in the Search box next to Start button, and press enter.

Step 2: Select View all from the left side panel, and select
    Power.

Step 3: Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue is not resolved, try
    Power Options from the steps below, and check if the issue persist.

Step 1: Go to Search, search Power Options (Or right click your battery icon, and select Power Options).

Step 2: In Power Options, select Choose what the power button does.

Step 3: Select Change settings that are currently unavailable located under
    Define Power Buttons and turn on password protection.

Step 4: The Shut Down settings at the bottom become available.

Step 5: De-select Turn on fast start up

I also suggest you to check with the latest BIOS from the manufacturer for the computer from the manufacturer’s website.

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community.

Likhitha V, Mar 10, 2017
  3. Windows 10 takes forever to shut down

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the startup repair using the Windows 10 installation media from the below link and check if it helps.

Download Windows 10

Boot from the Windows 10 installation media and then perform automatic repair and check if it helps

Follow the steps to perform Automatic repair:

• Insert installation media and restart the computer.
    • Select language and click on Next.
    • Select Repair your Computer and click on Skip this drive.
    • Select Troubleshoot and click on Advanced Options.
    • Here choose the option Automatic Repair and follow the prompted instructions.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Computer takes forever to fully shut down.

Im not an expert on this issue, but I know that sometimes certain hardware can conflit with the shut down or sleep process since shutdown in Windows 10 is a sort of hybrid sleep if I am not mistaken. I know some hardware doesnt take too well to that. I would do a search for your specific computer model and shutdown and sleep issues. You might find something that way.

ArazelEternal, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Gage00 Win User
    Its a custom computer that I built so I can't lookup the specific computer model, but this only started happening a month and a half ago and I've own this PC with windows 10 for 1 1/2 years now

Gage00, Mar 10, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi Gage00 and welcome to Tenforums.
    Have you turned off Fast Startup in Windows?
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

You also will want to get rid of hibernation when using an SSD. In an admin command prompt:
    Code: powercfg -h off[/quote]

simrick, Mar 10, 2017
  7. Gage00 Win User
    [/quote] I've tried turning off fast startup but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I turned off hibernation. As of now, when i turn my pc off I get the shutting down screen and then the screen goes off, machine stays on and after ~10+ mins it just turns itself back on... I have to force shut it down now.

Gage00, Mar 11, 2017
  8. Win10Pro Win User

Have you turned off hybrid sleep and disabled wake timers?

Computer takes forever to fully shut down. [​IMG]

Have you considered a faulty PSU?

Win10Pro, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer takes forever to fully shut down. - Similar Threads - Computer takes forever

2. Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?: Specs:Ryzen 3700xASUS ROG Strix x570-F WiFi16GB G.Skill TridentZEvga RTX 3080 FTW3WD SN750 NVME - OSSeagate Barracude 120 SSD - MiscSamsung 970 Evo Plus - GamesWindows 10 ProVersion: 22H2Build: 19045.2364Over the past 6-8+ weeks when I shut down my computer it will randomly...
  3. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  4. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  5. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. PC not fully shutting down

PC not fully shutting down: When I shut down my computer, my monitor loses signal but my pc stays on and doesn't fully shut down. This forces me to shut it down using the power button on the case, which I don't like doing cause I've heard it can cause harm. I have tried updating my graphics card...
  7. Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down

Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down: Hello all, We have just purchased a brand new Mpg z490 gaming carbon wifi motherboard and installed Windows 10. We have 2 ssd hard drives and 3 normal hard drives attached. Drivers and bios is upto date. When we select restart or shut down the pc takes forever to restart...
  8. Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down: Hello all, We have just purchased a brand new Mpg z490 gaming carbon wifi motherboard and installed Windows 10. We have 2 ssd hard drives and 3 normal hard drives attached. Drivers and bios is upto date. When we select restart or shut down the pc takes forever to restart...
  9. pc not fully shutting down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc not fully shutting down: i recently built my new computer but everytime i shut down the gpu and fans and monitor doesnt shut down, only windows. when i try to restart to download drivers (i had to download them on an existing computer) when it starts to turn back on its just a black screen so i have...
  10. Computer takes forever to shut down.

Computer takes forever to shut down.: My computer is a Lenovo Y400 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home Intel Core i7 Nvidia Geforce GT It has been exactly 2 weeks since I upgraded to Windows 10 but one thing I noticed about my computer ever since the update is that it has a very long shut down time. Just yesterday, I...