Windows 10: Computer takes forever to shut down.

Discus and support Computer takes forever to shut down. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My computer is a Lenovo Y400 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home Intel Core i7 Nvidia Geforce GT It has been exactly 2 weeks since I upgraded to Windows 10 but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by retlol, Aug 18, 2015.

1. retlol Win User

Computer takes forever to shut down.

My computer is a Lenovo Y400 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home Intel Core i7 Nvidia Geforce GT

It has been exactly 2 weeks since I upgraded to Windows 10 but one thing I noticed about my computer ever since the update is that it has a very long shut down time. Just yesterday, I waited 45 mins to before finally deciding to shut it down by press on the power button. It was just showing the "Shutting Down..." with a blue background throughout the entire time I have waited. Is there anyway to solve this issue? As far as I have seen the forums, there is nothing about long shut down times...

Thanks in advance

:)

retlol, Aug 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 takes forever to shut down

Hi Brian,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query.

Method 1: Run power troubleshooter
    from the following steps, and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Type Troubleshooting
    in the Search box next to Start button, and press enter.

Step 2: Select View all from the left side panel, and select
    Power.

Step 3: Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue is not resolved, try
    Power Options from the steps below, and check if the issue persist.

Step 1: Go to Search, search Power Options (Or right click your battery icon, and select Power Options).

Step 2: In Power Options, select Choose what the power button does.

Step 3: Select Change settings that are currently unavailable located under
    Define Power Buttons and turn on password protection.

Step 4: The Shut Down settings at the bottom become available.

Step 5: De-select Turn on fast start up

I also suggest you to check with the latest BIOS from the manufacturer for the computer from the manufacturer’s website.

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Microsoft Community.

Likhitha V, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 takes forever to shut down

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the startup repair using the Windows 10 installation media from the below link and check if it helps.

Download Windows 10

Boot from the Windows 10 installation media and then perform automatic repair and check if it helps

Follow the steps to perform Automatic repair:

• Insert installation media and restart the computer.
    • Select language and click on Next.
    • Select Repair your Computer and click on Skip this drive.
    • Select Troubleshoot and click on Advanced Options.
    • Here choose the option Automatic Repair and follow the prompted instructions.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

5. retlol Win User
    Hi, thanks for the help, what do I do with the things I see at 200-299?
    Because there are quite a few and the levels are warning and criticals, alll under the category of Shutdown Performance Monitoring. Do I disable them? If yes, how do I go about doing it?

retlol, Aug 18, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
  7. retlol Win User
    It looks something like this

The File Name consists of vpnagent, ProfSvc, WSearch, SQLWriter, EventLog, IkTimeSync, StateRepository, NvStreamSvc, CryptSvc... and many others...

The critical levels doesnt seem to have any files located to it

Thanks for the link on how to upload screenshots btw.

retlol, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Dude Win User

Are you using a cisco vpn?

9. retlol Win User
    Nope, the VPN is not in use, it is rarely used and as far as I rmb I last used it was in Feb, so i dont think it affects my computer

retlol, Aug 18, 2015
  10. retlol Win User
    Nope, my Cisco VPN was last used in Feb for sch purposes, under then that I did not touch it

retlol, Aug 18, 2015
  11. Dude Win User
    Okay, because there seems to be an issue with it and windows 10.

Try uninstalling it, or open an elevated command prompt and enter

sc stop "vpnagent"
    sc config "vpnagent" start= disabled

Then reboot and test if it helps

12. Dude Win User
  13. retlol Win User

Sorry for the wait, I got this msg when I tried to disable the VPN...

Scanning for Malware at the moment

retlol, Aug 18, 2015
  14. Dude Win User
    Try a regular uninstall through control panel

15. retlol Win User
    Omg! It worked! Thanks so much for the help! Hope you got enough rest as our time zone is different....

Really appreciate your help!

retlol, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Computer takes forever to shut down. - Similar Threads - Computer takes forever

2. Computer taking forever to load on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer taking forever to load on startup: Whenever I turn on my computer or restart it, it takes forever to load, and when I do finally get to my desktop, I have to wait another 5 or so minutes to be able to do anything.My brother has the exact same PC as me, but it never happens to him.Does anyone know why this...
  3. laptop take forever to shut down and uses battery whilst unplugged.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop take forever to shut down and uses battery whilst unplugged.: I had quite a few issues with this HP omen 17" laptop, but now when i shut it down it can take over 10 mins to actually turn off, it just sit there with the "shutting down" screen and the HDD light is flashing away on the side the keyboard is lit up and fans still going, but...
  4. laptop take forever to shut down and uses battery whilst unplugged.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop take forever to shut down and uses battery whilst unplugged.: I had quite a few issues with this HP omen 17" laptop, but now when i shut it down it can take over 10 mins to actually turn off, it just sit there with the "shutting down" screen and the HDD light is flashing away on the side the keyboard is lit up and fans still going, but...
  5. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  6. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  7. Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down: Hello all, We have just purchased a brand new Mpg z490 gaming carbon wifi motherboard and installed Windows 10. We have 2 ssd hard drives and 3 normal hard drives attached. Drivers and bios is upto date. When we select restart or shut down the pc takes forever to restart...
  8. Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes forever to restart or shut down: Hello all, We have just purchased a brand new Mpg z490 gaming carbon wifi motherboard and installed Windows 10. We have 2 ssd hard drives and 3 normal hard drives attached. Drivers and bios is upto date. When we select restart or shut down the pc takes forever to restart...
  9. SHUT DOWN TAKING TIME

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SHUT DOWN TAKING TIME: HELLO THERE I HAVE DELL XPS 15 9570. IT USED TO SHUT DOWN INSTANTLY I MEAN THE SCREEN USED TO TURN OFF INSTANTLY BUT NOW IT IS TAKING 10-15 SECONDS TO TURNOFF. WHEN I ENABLE VERBOSESTATUS TO KNOW WHAT IS HAMPERING THE PC I GOT THESE MESSAGES: PLEASE WAIT FOR PROSVC...
  10. Computer takes forever to fully shut down.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer takes forever to fully shut down.: My computer has been taking around ~5-10+ minutes to fully shut down. It starts to shut down normally when I press shut down in the start menu,shutting down screen, screen turns off and everything... but, everything is still on (lights, fans, hdd). I've had this problem for...