Windows 10: Computer tries to boot from CD-Rom before hard drive. A problem?

Discus and support Computer tries to boot from CD-Rom before hard drive. A problem? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now, whenever I restart my computer, it briefly gives a "Boot from CD-Rom" (or some such words to that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016.

1. hbenthow Win User

Computer tries to boot from CD-Rom before hard drive. A problem?

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now, whenever I restart my computer, it briefly gives a "Boot from CD-Rom" (or some such words to that effect) message, then gives a second message saying that it is now attempting to boot from the hard drive. This whole process only lasts a few seconds, then Windows boots up. Is this a problem?

:)

hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016

2. Bootable DVD

Hi there.

Thanks so much for your reply.

On my Startup Menu F12 doesn't appear... I know that I can use it (at least on my laptop) to boot from some Network adapter or something but I don't currently have it on. When I tried it, just defaulted to normal boot. In my BIOS, I have two boot orders,
    one UEFI and a Legacy.

Currently UEFI order is "Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive, USB CD/DVD ROM Drive, OS boot Manager, USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk, !Network Adapter".

Legacy Boot is "Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive, USB CD/DVD ROM Drive, Notebook Hard Drive, USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk, !Network Adapter"

My BIOS is InsydeH20 Setup Utility.

I have a question about the rest of your links... How do I know what hard drive I have?? I'm kind of a computer noob...

And lastly, I found that in the Startup Menu there is also an option called F9 (Boot Device Options), which lets me choose what to boot from. I've picked both "Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI) and Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive" which both bring me to a Blue
    Windows Loading screen rather than the HP screen, however I still get to the black screen where I can't do anything.

The three other options are "OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100)", "Boot from EFI File", and "Notebook Hard Drive - TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100".

Not sure if any of those are useful.

Final question, how do you "Remove and reseat the hard drive"?

Sorry to waste your time... But thanks so much for looking into this.

SendHelpForSadGuy, Mar 29, 2016
  3. Unable to download apps - Windows 10

I'm having another problem.

-Now my Cd Rom cannot work (Still detectable by my BIOS) (Code 28)

-I can't install some apps on the Store

-I can't check for windows updates (0x80070422)

I just tried to install an old Half-Life 2 Cd before. But there was a loud scratching sound coming from my cd rom drive, so I ejected it. I saw that this is just like the Xbox Before in microsoft's history. There is a Circular scratch on my Half Life Cd.

The first installation cannot run, So I took a bad Decision to install it to my C:\ (Installer auto install C:\Valve\...\...\Half-Life2. But it installs the half life uninstaller and install log file there as well. Then I took out my cd rom from my notebook,
    I saw some wires (Wide types) below the cd rom. This must be the reason for the cd scratching. Then after I readjusted the wires, slide it down below the cd rom drive, then the problem started, Windows can't detect it.

But my device manager shows that there is an unknown device. This must be the Cd Rom drive. Then I saw that no driver is installed for this device, I tried to update the driver, but windows can't find any drivers for the specified device.

This computer have just recently replaced it's hard drive. (NOTE not cd rom) But I have not tried to install anything from the store after the hard drive has been replaced, so I do not know whether its caused after or before I tried to install Half-Life
    2 for the second time

(Now my Half-Life 2 Cd have even worse scratches.)

Malvorn Darth Vader, Mar 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have a DVD/CD inserted in the drive?

You can also press the Win key + R at the same time to open the run dialog. Run MSCONFIG. Click the boot menu. Do you have only one entry in the list there?

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    This is what I would call the normal sequence. One should always set the CD drive as Nr. 1 in the boot sequence so that one can quickly load a live CDVD in case of trouble.

6. hbenthow Win User
    No.

Yes. Windows 10 is the only item in the list.

I see. I don't recall this happening with Windows 7 (or Vista, for that matter), though.

hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    This actually shouldn't be happening if Windows 10 fast startup is turned on because the computer isn't supposed to power down all the way to the bios boot sequence.

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2016
  8. hbenthow Win User

How can I tell whether Windows 10 fast startup is turned on?

hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Mar 29, 2016
  10. hbenthow Win User
    I found two pertinent details.

Firstly:
    I was restarting the computer when the matter referenced in the thread title happened.

Secondly:
    I checked my settings, and found that while "Turn on fast startup" is checked, "Hibernate" is unchecked.

Should I enable hibernation (in order to enable fast startup). Does fast startup provide all that much of an advantage?

hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    This has really nothing to do with Windows. It is a BIOS setting.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is completely true. With Windows 10 Fast Startup enabled, if the user just clicks Shutdown...then the computer should not shut all the way down for that bios setting to take effect. When powered back on the computer should not be checking for a CDROM to boot from first, if the fast startup is working properly. Clicking Restart instead of Shutdown will cause the computer to restart all the way back from the initial bios loading with the CDROM first option. Also holding down shift key when clicking Shutdown will bypass the Windows 10 fast startup and the subsequent power on will be all the way from the beginning, with bios checking for a CDROM to boot from.

All this is only IF the boot from CDROM is marked as a boot device before the HDD is in the bios boot order.

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2016
  13. hbenthow Win User

So, what would be my best course of action (if any)?

hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    Do nothing or if it bothers you, set the DVD rdr at a lower boot priority.

15. hbenthow Win User
    Is the current state of affairs at all dangerous to my computer or operating system (even slightly)?

If not, I'll probably leave it be.

hbenthow, Mar 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Computer tries to boot from CD-Rom before hard drive. A problem? - Similar Threads - Computer tries boot

2. cd-rom rw drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cd-rom rw drive: recovery driver and f drive disappeared after windows update...also restore points removed so cannot do restore how do i get these back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom-rw-drive/9566452c-08a8-4011-9a94-ab34ffeb79c2
  3. trying to find my cd-rom drive

trying to find my cd-rom drive: Hello. I can see the cd-rom drive on my HP Probook 450G2 but I cannot figure out how to open the drive and play an installation disk needed to set-up a printer? I don't see a cd-rom drive when I go to This PC or when I go to File Explorer\Disk Management. I have a C drive,...
  4. CD ROM DRIVE

CD ROM DRIVE: I UPDREADE FROM 7 TO WIN 10 AND NOW MY PC DOES NOT SEE MY CD DRIVE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom-drive/54c008f5-4dd7-4065-b015-0dd2b1d3e167
  5. cd rom drive

cd rom drive: hi just wondering at all if there is a cd rom drive on a lenovo laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom-drive/7b932ceb-cdc2-45c2-bd36-29cfa46a8c1e
  6. CD-ROM drive

CD-ROM drive: My computer crashed after updating windows 10. I downloaded the ISO recover and got my computer reprogramed. But it never recovered my CD-ROM drive. I have the option of using it in my bios boot menu but no where else. How do I recover my CD-ROM drive on my computer....
  7. CD Rom drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD Rom drive: I want to download a CD software disc. How do I open the CD Rom door in my HP computer with Microsoft 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom-drive/1edb8c00-609a-4e62-8b60-e133e97ec45c
  8. DVD/CD Rom Drive

DVD/CD Rom Drive: I have a game on a DVD in my DVD ROM Drive & want to transfer the game to my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom-drive/4534f767-eea6-4a7f-8bd2-379797ff54ec
  9. dvd/cd rom drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    dvd/cd rom drive: I cannot get my dvd/cd rom drive to work. I have a HP Pavilion 23-q014ld all in one computer. It says all of my drivers are up to date. I tried the pin hole to manually open the door and that doesn't work. I tried all of the steps of deleting and reloading the driver and...
  10. CD Rom Drive

CD Rom Drive: My CD Rom drive will not read any CD or DVD. I've tried unintalling, etc. to no avail. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cd-rom-drive/b536efd0-4a95-478f-9149-50cdd5c7b681

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows looks in cd drive before hard drive