Windows 10: Computer unresponsive when waking from sleep

Discus and support Computer unresponsive when waking from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Computer: Page Not Found | HP® Official Site I've sent it in once to replace the motherboard and replaced the SSD drive on my own Every now and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ConceptEight, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Computer unresponsive when waking from sleep

Computer: Page Not Found | HP® Official Site

I've sent it in once to replace the motherboard and replaced the SSD drive on my own

Every now and then, maybe 1% of the time, when trying to wake the computer from sleep mode, the power button will turn on, the wifi light (f12) will turn orange, the fans will start running, but the computer doesn't get any further than that. The screen remains lit, but dark, the caps lock light doesn't turn on or off, and no mouse/keyboard input is registered. It appears as though the operating system has frozen (this is just a guess). Eventually I just have to hold the power button until it turns off. Things I have tried:

-Virus Scan
    -sfc /scannow
    -Updating drivers
    -Windows Updates
    -BIOS updates

This may just be me, but it appears that hitting keys multiple times (i.e spamming the space bar instead of hitting it just once) lowers the chance of it happening. This also happens regardless of if I try to wake it by pressing the power button once or if I hit a key. This problem existed before I swapped the old hard drive for an SSD drive, so it's not linked to the drives. This only happens when waking from sleep, not when turning on the computer for the first time. Does anyone have an idea as to why this happens?

:)

ConceptEight, Jul 23, 2017
  2. Cal Reed Win User

after putting my desktop to sleep the mouse and keyboard are no longer active

For months I was able to put my computer to sleep and wake it up with a mouse movement. Now I have three icons over to the left when it wakes up and the mouse/keyboard are unresponsive. I have to shut the computer down and restart to boot up.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Start Menu

Cal Reed, Jul 23, 2017
  3. AlexDragu Win User
    Found a bug!

I have Windows 10 x64 bit. When the computer wakes up from sleep, It asks for a password and then changes to a Sign In button. Then the mouse is unresponsive. It's acting like the buttons aren't there. This goes on for about 20 to 30 minutes. Not a big
    deal, just REALLY annoying.

AlexDragu, Jul 23, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Computer unresponsive when waking from sleep

Hi ConceptEight and welcome to Ten forums!

Sleep issues are difficult to resolve, just to warn you *Smile Especially with high end laptops

Did you check HP support pages? Sleep and hibernation issues

I would start with disabling fast startup

AndreTen, Jul 23, 2017
  5. When you mean by difficult to resolve? As in the issue is somewhere deep where it can't easily be fixed?

And yes I've done everything on that page. Doesn't fast startup only come into play when fully shutting down the computer?

ConceptEight, Jul 23, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Difficult, as it happens one time in a hundred.. One can get misbehavior of individual component, but in your case (trouble when waking from sleep), problematic events are not stored, as computer crashes and resets itself...

Fast startup causes troubles in some cases. It is also mentioned in HP troubleshooter, but probably with other words..

In your case (one in a hundred), I would look in some possibility that could occur... Bluetooth connected device maybe, or USB device (legacy one) that is not always connected.

AndreTen, Jul 23, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Fast Startup depends on a system file called hiberfil.sys. Typically 8-12GB in size, depending on your specs. When enabled, it dumps active memory to the hiberfil.sys, so at startup it can initialize almost everything with reloading from scratch. Sounds good, but there are drawbacks. If it shuts down and saves any error conditions, they will be right back at startup. If you have an SSD, it has no speed advantage and can increase wear and tear considerably. Best advice from many here, unless you have a really, really good reason to use it, kill it.

Cleanest and quickest way to kill Fast Startup and get that 12GB file space back is to run this command at an admin command prompt:

powercfg -h off

I would follow Andre's advice and try this first before diving into other areas.

TC

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

TC, I think he wants to keep hibernation. This is laptop and it comes handy *Wink

ConceptEight, check this conversation ... tomshardware.co.uk | envy-15t-shutdown-sleep-problems

AndreTen, Jul 23, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    That qualifies as really good reason. Fast Startup off, at least. *Wink

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2017
  10. I'm back now, thank you for all the advice. I've disabled Fast Startup and see what that does. I looked through that link and didn't really like the suggestions; never turning the hard disk off isn't really the solution i'm looking for, and it's not that the keyboard doesn't wake up the computer at all, the screen lights up, the power button light is solid, and the fans start running, it just doesn't get any further than that.

ConceptEight, Jul 24, 2017
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry, should tell you to check specific post (further down ...)

More detailed (from the link above...)

AndreTen, Jul 24, 2017
  12. Thanks for following up, but the problems listed at this link:

Sleep, shutdown and hibernation issues after upgrading to Wi... - HP Support Forum - 5213861

Don't really seem to be describing the problems I'm facing. The link detailing that the MEI driver isn't working

[SOLVED] Windows 10 - Laptop won't go into sleep mode - HP Support Forum - 5171069

is from people experiencing the problem that their computer won't go TO sleep, not not wake up from it. Or is the MEI driver responsible for both of these?

Sorry for the poor formatting of URL's, I am kinda lazy

ConceptEight, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer unresponsive when waking from sleep - Similar Threads - Computer unresponsive waking

2. BSOD when waking computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when waking computer from sleep: Hi, I need help with my pc. I am using a laptop with Windows 11 Home Ryzen 5500U, I keep getting blue screen while using my laptop, this usually happens when waking the pc after sleep and when I am on battery only. most of the time the error says Stop code:...
  3. BSOD when waking computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when waking computer from sleep: Hi, I need help with my pc. I am using a laptop with Windows 11 Home Ryzen 5500U, I keep getting blue screen while using my laptop, this usually happens when waking the pc after sleep and when I am on battery only. most of the time the error says Stop code:...
  4. HDD disappears when waking computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD disappears when waking computer from sleep: Not sure what to do with this any more. I have a 300x Toshiba HDD for storing large files. Every time I wake my pc from sleep, the HDD will vanish. I cannot find it using Disk Management or any other method.Tried:- Updating/reinstalling drivers- Changing the SATA port-...
  5. HDD disappears when waking computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD disappears when waking computer from sleep: Not sure what to do with this any more. I have a 300x Toshiba HDD for storing large files. Every time I wake my pc from sleep, the HDD will vanish. I cannot find it using Disk Management or any other method.Tried:- Updating/reinstalling drivers- Changing the SATA port-...
  6. Computer won't wake from Sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake from Sleep.: My computer won't wake from sleep. It is a clean install of windows Ver 1909 Build 18363.836. I have reinstalled several times. When I move the mouse or use the keyboard the power light stop blinking comes on steady, the fans start up, it checks the DVD player, the activity...
  7. Computer Waking Up From Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Waking Up From Sleep: [ATTACH]I recently built my new gaming rig and I usually set my power and sleep settings to sleep after 2 hours of idle. I realized when it goes to "sleep" It actually turns off but still responds to a press of a key and saves the session. When it turns on it goes through the...
  8. Computer sleeping when set not to / Not waking up from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer sleeping when set not to / Not waking up from Sleep: Hi All I have a windows 10 machine that has two issues but they both are causing the PC to freeze. The first issue is the PC will go to sleep even when set not to in the power configuration. The second issue is that the PC will not wake up so it seems once it has gone to...
  9. Mouse is unresponsive for few minutes on Startup or Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse is unresponsive for few minutes on Startup or Wake from Sleep: I have a desktop PC with Core i3 and 4GB RAM. I have Logitech G400 mouse. Recently it has started acting extremely odd on startup or when the pc is woken up from sleep. The mouse will not respond for a period of 30 seconds to 5 minutes each time. The optical red sensor is...
  10. BSOD when waking computer from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when waking computer from sleep: Hello My PC will sometimes get a BSOD when waking it up after long hours of sleep, this does not happen reliably and I have no idea how to reproduce it. My GPU and CPU is overclocked however they have caused no issues during general use and gaming. 67440