Windows 10: Computer Ventilation and Desk

Discus and support Computer Ventilation and Desk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On Saturday, I am getting an Antique Roll Top Desk for my Computer Room. I will be taking the old desk and will be putting it in my room, since I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jesse Williams, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Computer Ventilation and Desk

On Saturday, I am getting an Antique Roll Top Desk for my Computer Room. I will be taking the old desk and will be putting it in my room, since I need more desk space.

As you all know, a Roll Top Desk has a top that opens and closes. If I put my tower and monitor on this desk, and close the top, will it cause ventilation issues for the computer? I will only be closing the top when the computer is turned off.

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I know this question is a little odd to ask.

:)

Jesse Williams, Jul 6, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

HP 285 G2 with AMD A8 PRO-7600B with Radeon™ R7 Graphics

Since you say you think the problem happens when the computer is under heavy load, it could be an overheating problem.

Try monitoring the CPU and GPU temperatures.

Since that is a Tower case PC, try opening the case to see if there is a problem with vents being blocked, ie dust bunnies, or poor ventilation. Try to recrate the problem with the case open.

Point a desk fan at the open case and try to recreate the problem.

Rohn007, Jul 6, 2017
  3. XBOX VENTILATION PROBLEM

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

This issue is better suited in Microsoft Xbox forum. We have a dedicated team with advanced tools and permission to help you with this issue. So I suggest you to post the same query in Microsoft Xbox forum.

For anything related to Xbox, head over to the
    Xbox Support & they’ll take care of you.

Hope it helps. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 6, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Computer Ventilation and Desk

The only time you need to worry about good ventilation is when the computer is turned on. If it is off, it will not overheat because, it's not on.

spunk, Jul 6, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Yes, it probably will (when it's on even at idle) if you are talking about a desktop computer. Laptops on the other hand produce less heat but are also more susceptible to heat.

CountMike, Jul 6, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    we are not talking about Idle, we are talking about being powered on, or being powered off. Not sleep, hibernate or idle. So, if the desktop computer is powered off, not idle, it will not need ventilation.

spunk, Jul 6, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    Well duh, I thought it would be pretty logical that he's not asking about it's state when not running but only when left running a program and using some resources and so produces heat. It's not a live thing to need fresh air to breathe.

CountMike, Jul 6, 2017
  8. Computer Ventilation and Desk

Guys, I was just asking if it needed ventilation when I shut it down and close the top. I just didn't know how this worked. It's a Desktop.

Jesse Williams, Jul 6, 2017
  9. My rolltop is unhappy with desktop anywhere but, beneath the center drawer, in the kneewell. Even when idle power off, heat is still generated.

Stick it on a power strip and kill all when leaving it.

The monitor shouldn't be an issue, there is some breathing room in the canvas backer of oak slats (tambour) at least if it truly is old oak roll top.

Since not all roll tops are created equal, suggest checking it after 8 hours for heat build-up or just stick a thermometer in it.

Frozenoem1, Jul 7, 2017
  10. Computer Ventilation and Desk [​IMG]

Computer Ventilation and Desk [​IMG]

Computer Ventilation and Desk [​IMG]

Jesse Williams, Jul 7, 2017
  11. I didn't understand what you were saying? Can you verify what you are saying when you mentioned the power strip and how your Roll Top doesn't agree with your desktop.

12. First, the not all roll tops are created equal bit. Your roll top appears to be newish 1970?? Vintage. That means it's oak plywood or particle board veneer.

Suggest taking a razor to bottom of drawer front rails, your going to see picture grain laminate.

If you put your desktop atop desk or in kneewell your fine.
    Same with monitor, otherwise you'll need to power down, and then power off.

Have seen the glue on tambour re-melt from heat generated by monitor in rolltop.

Have had more than enough enclosed spaces in 48 years of computers.

Laptops cool, desktops with 750watt or greater
    PSU you need ventilation or power strips to kill heat.

My rolltop is circa 1900, The Hyde glue on the tambour doesn't like heat. It's applied hot, and can liquefy again.

Just trying to give you a warning. Even my bookcase build heated up when powered down but not powered off. Had to remove door and knock vents in that one.

Where did you plan on putting the desktop computer.

New or old the heat from desktop computer will separate the joints and panels if left powered on for long time.

Frozenoem1, Jul 7, 2017
  13. Computer Ventilation and Desk

I planned on putting it on the desk top, itself. If it will fit, that is. I mean... I could put the desktop on our old sewing machine as it is open, but really wanted to leave it on the new desk.

14. @Frozenoem1, so you don't think it's a good idea to put it on the desk top itself or do you?

15. I wouldn't have a problem putting a pc on the writing surface of desk but, closing the roll top on any residual heat from that desktop computer that I'd have a problem with.

Atop or beneath no problem whatsoever. Plenty of air movement.

My only true issue is when that roll top comes down, that's when things/joints cook.

Your call though.

Frozenoem1, Jul 7, 2017
Thema:

Computer Ventilation and Desk

1. Computer Ventilation and Desk - Similar Threads - Computer Ventilation Desk

2. Optimum desk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Optimum desk: How do I stop Optimum Desk from truing to install? I don't want it and it is causing problems with streaming and other video calls. It is trying to install at least 20 times per minute. I have read that it is 58% spyware for other products and companies....
  3. desk top

desk top: My old desk top with the icon and info is disapperaed ps help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desk-top/c2f6e620-5b0b-4993-a40c-b9aea2f71dda
  4. Camera access on my Desk Top Computer

Camera access on my Desk Top Computer: Hi. I have a HP Desk Top all in one with a Built in Camera . Keep getting messages Can't detect the Camera. Tried to follow instructions to fix problem could not. Need help. Running on Windows 10. Thank you....
  5. unresponse of computer any desk was downloaded on my computer by someone pretending to be a...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unresponse of computer any desk was downloaded on my computer by someone pretending to be a...: ant desk was downloaded on my computer by a Norton security personnel my computer has been taken over by this app which I the permmissions because I thought it was a real entity I no longer have control of my computer and they have retrieved all of my information how do I...
  6. logging onto desk top computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    logging onto desk top computer: I have Windows 10 and am stuck on the administrator log in screen. I have pushed the windows key and r and no run window comes up. I have tried every password for Administrator and can't log on to my desk top computer. I have restarted the computer and nothing changes....
  7. desk top

desk top: while trying to copy pictures to put on a flash drive i have somehow put them on my desktop, how do i remove them and not delete them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desk-top/1281a9bf-36ba-4ad2-8803-513bf653ef54
  8. Desk files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desk files: today, I logged into my home computer and noticed that the files that I saved to my desktop are missing from the screen. Instead, the applications that come with the computer are located on the screen. How do I get back to the previous screen...
  9. Windows 10 desk top computer start

Windows 10 desk top computer start: always turn my desktop off when I am finished using it. Lately, at times when the window appears and the small dots rotate below the window, the window disappears and the dots may continue to rotate or just stop rotating. The system then appears to be in a loop and does...
  10. Desk top

Desk top: my desk top has disappeared. All the icons have disappeared. I can log onto the computer into my area of use, but once in nothing comes up. When you click on the home button - it does nit bring up any thing just a whirling ball? Is this my computer going faulty or...