Windows 10: computer wakes from sleep at night time

Discus and support computer wakes from sleep at night time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Each morning when I wake up, my computer is on, rather than in sleep mode, as I left it. I have disabled the power of the mouse to wake it. What else... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by irsimons, Sep 24, 2015.

1. irsimons Win User

computer wakes from sleep at night time

Each morning when I wake up, my computer is on, rather than in sleep mode, as I left it. I have disabled the power of the mouse to wake it. What else can I try to fix this problem?

:)

irsimons, Sep 24, 2015

2. How to prevent Windows 10 from updating at times that are inconvenient for me

In sleep mode my computer wakes up in the middle of the night to update...?? I wish to prevent this and schedule a time that is convenient for me.

* Moved from Community Participation Center

DavidLee2755, Sep 24, 2015
  3. markeydsl Win User
    when I wake up my computer from sleep a file Explorer window is always open

Last night when I pulled my laptop out of sleep, there was a window open, a File Explorer window, open to "this PC". Now each and every time I wake my computer this window is open. I close it, put the computer to sleep, and when I again wake the computer
    this window is on the desktop.

It almost seems like there is something stuck in the memory or registry that tells the computer this window was open when it went to sleep and it will not clear when I wake the computer.

I am using Windows 10 and this started happening last night 04/04/2018. The computer went through some updates over the past 2 days and the issue was not present until last night.

thank you

markeydsl, Sep 24, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Check all likely devices in Device Manager to see what their power management settings are. Also it could be MS updates taking place, or in my case a cat walking across my keyboard at night when keyboard wake up was enabled.

Kanata, Sep 24, 2015
  5. irsimons Win User
    I have disabled the ability of the keyboard and mouse to wake the computer and have no cat. need a different solution....

irsimons, Sep 24, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    In Device Manager, disable wake function for ALL keyboard and mouse entries, regardless of how many devices you actually have.
    Also for the network adapter. Same thing.
    If the issue is still there, use this command to determine what last woke up your computer: powercfg -lastwake
    Also this command lists the devices that have the capability of waking up your computer:
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Kanata, Sep 24, 2015
  7. PJLLB Win User
    Confirm that system maintenance is not scheduled for overnight times. (Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Maitenance > Change Maintenance Settings

PJLLB, Sep 24, 2015
  8. Gunstar Win User

Gunstar, Sep 24, 2015
  9. irsimons Win User
    Pjllb, you were right thanks for the help

irsimons, Sep 27, 2015
  10. PJLLB Win User
    You are welcome.

PJLLB, Sep 27, 2015
  11. ROX
    Rox Win User
    thanks to everyone that provided help with this topic. it is exactly the reason i signed in tonight and having done a search, i found this little nugget and YUP, it not only answered why my system was suddenly waking up but it provided even further information that gives me greater control over when, how and by what. thanks again *Smile

12. yingjai Win User
    I am having the same problem also.

Scheduled Automatic Maintenance is disabled.

Both network adapters are not allowed to wake the computer.

The only thing I haven't done is disabling keyboard/mice. Do I really have to disable them? I like being able to wake up the computer with them. They're stationary, so I don't understand why they would cause the computer to wake up.

yingjai, Oct 28, 2015
  13. tchaik Win User

My thanks to all on this thread. I also stumbled across it when trying to solve the problem, and found all the information I needed, and more. What a friendly atmosphere, too. Have registered in order to come and reply *Smile

tchaik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. computer wakes from sleep at night time - Similar Threads - computer wakes sleep

2. UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UpdateOrchestrator keeps waking computer up from sleep every night: Hello all, so first things first: My computer is up to date. So I've been wrestling with this problem for the past week. My computer will not stay asleep all night and wakes itself up every night. Really wouldn't be an issue except that it doesn't go back to sleep. It just...
  3. Laptop wakes from sleep in the middle of the night

Laptop wakes from sleep in the middle of the night: [ATTACH] My battery settings are mostly default, and I noticed that if I leave the notebook in sleep in the night it automatically wakes at some times. This definitely has to do with hibernation, which I changed to 120 and increased the frequency of the wake-ups....
  4. Computer won't wake from Sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake from Sleep.: My computer won't wake from sleep. It is a clean install of windows Ver 1909 Build 18363.836. I have reinstalled several times. When I move the mouse or use the keyboard the power light stop blinking comes on steady, the fans start up, it checks the DVD player, the activity...
  5. PC wakes from sleep during the night

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes from sleep during the night: My pc have been waking from sleep, usually just minutes after putting it to sleep. Is there an easy way to figure out what device is causing it from the lastwake below, without having to go through the device manager? Because I looked there but can't find it. Alternatively,...
  6. Laptop waking up from sleep at night

Laptop waking up from sleep at night: I tried following this post, but when I execute this command: powercfg/waketimers, I get a different result: C:\Windows\system32>powercfg/waketimers Timer set by [PROCESS]...
  7. Computer takes a long time to wake from sleep

Computer takes a long time to wake from sleep: It seems to take ~20 seconds for my computer to get to the Windows 10 login screen from sleep. I first click on the keyboard and it lights up immediately. I can hear the CPU fan kick on immediately also. Then I have to wait another 15-20 seconds before the monitor displays...
  8. Computers wake up at night

Computers wake up at night: Right so, to start, it's windows update orchestrator that's waking it up. About fifty percent of the time I put my computers to sleep it'll wake them up at the dead of night and keep them at the lockscreen permanently until I shut the computer down. Multiple times during the...
  9. Computer takes time to wake up from sleep

Computer takes time to wake up from sleep: I have a toshiba portege r835 which is a pretty old laptop but it has a reliable intel core i5 2nd gen processor. there is a power light near the trackpad which blinks yellow when the pc is asleep and turns green the moment i lift the lid. it's pretty fast and reponsive. but...
  10. Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night

Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night: I put my computer to sleep before going to bed, but the signon screen is brightly lit every morning. Furthermore, when I launch Windows Update, it never seems to finish searching for new updates. In searching for a cause of the waking, I have come across the following...