Windows 10: Computer waking up on it's own.

Discus and support Computer waking up on it's own. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I remember that there used to be a problem with 7 and up where the network card could wake up the computer if there was any activity detected by it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fenrir0wulf, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Computer waking up on it's own.

I remember that there used to be a problem with 7 and up where the network card could wake up the computer if there was any activity detected by it and could be fixed by going into the device manager and unchecking the box "Allow this device to wake the computer". This is different.

I think this started around the first major update, the anniversary update, although I don't remember precisely. It has definitely worsened since 1703 though. Everyday, around 10AM EST, my computer just goes up on it's own. Most times, it even goes back to sleep on it's own as well, but sometimes it just stays up.

Can I just say that this was really fvcking scary the first few times it happened? I seriously thought someone managed to hack my computer and take control remotely. I've since reinstalled completely Windows and determined that it was Windows updates doing it, most likely due to the fact I'm on the Insider program.

This is... annoying. And not just because it almost looks like someone is remotely hacking me. My computer is in my bedroom. While most people would be up and working already at this time, I'm still trying to sleep because I work nights (and as such, I set my active hours as 11AM to 2AM).

So my question is: is there a way to make it not wake up like this (besides the obvious answer of shutting it down completely instead of sleep mode).

:)

fenrir0wulf, Jul 27, 2017

2. My Windows 10 computer keeps waking up on its own

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History (0)

Wake Source Count - 0

JOHNROSSI1, Jul 27, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 27, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Computer waking up on it's own.

Hi there, fenrir0wulf. Welcome to TenForums.

Being an Insider myself, I would say you can expect bugs like this with prerelease builds, if your settings are as you like.

Active hours is when you typically use your PC. Perhaps you might consider setting the maintenance time to a time that you're up. Push Windows key to open Start > Type security and maintenance > Hit Enter > Choose "Change maintenance setting" > Set the time and check or uncheck the box.

*Arrow Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Hope that helps.

Tony K, Jul 27, 2017
  5. So it was set to 2AM, I guess it was because it was the end of the set active time. Let's see if it does anything along with the check box.

Oh BTW, I'm actually not new to the forum. Or was it windowsforum? But it certainly was with another e-mail that I've abandoned. But thanks regardless *Smile

fenrir0wulf, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome, fenrir0wulf. Now get a good sleep. *Wink

Tony K, Jul 27, 2017
  7. Stevekir Win User
    A couple of weeks ago my system woke from sleep about a few minutes after it was slept. Only peripheral than is capable of waking it from sleep is a press on the keyboard, but I eliminated this as a candidate. I don't have any careds install. It has stopped happening now. (I'm not an Insider.)

Stevekir, Jul 27, 2017
Thema:

Computer waking up on it's own.

1. Computer waking up on it's own. - Similar Threads - Computer waking own

2. Win10 Desktop wakes up from sleep on it's own

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Desktop wakes up from sleep on it's own: My Win10 Desktop wakes up from sleep on it's own. I've tried all the checks and changes recommended that I can find and none will work. I ran a "powercfg /requests" but am not sure how to read it. Is it saying that the VIA High Def Audio is the item causing a power-on...
  3. Computer waking up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer waking up: For the past 7 days when i got a pc 1 or 2 weeks ago, it keeps turning on bu it self every day at 5:55 AM. I tried everything i could to stop it and it failed, any tips? submitted by /u/Zylenlox69 [link] [comments]...
  4. This might be waking up the computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    This might be waking up the computer: I've noticed as of late, pressing the Powerbutton does not put the computer into Hibernation but brings it up to where I need to put my password. It doesn't do a complete reboot, but just brings it where the password need to be put in again. If I reboot the System, the...
  5. Computers wake up at night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computers wake up at night: Right so, to start, it's windows update orchestrator that's waking it up. About fifty percent of the time I put my computers to sleep it'll wake them up at the dead of night and keep them at the lockscreen permanently until I shut the computer down. Multiple times during the...
  6. Wake up computer

Wake up computer: Hi, Why can't I wake up my laptop by pressing any keys on my keyboard? Dennis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-computer/22a8e0d7-cde5-4034-9373-ff84d379f09c
  7. Computer not staying asleep. Wakes up on own

Computer not staying asleep. Wakes up on own: Lately I've been having an issue where my computer will wake itself up sometime in the morning. I can't pin down an exact time the computer wakes itself up. I have noticed a few things however in regards to this annoyance. 1) The computer will turn itself on as well as...
  8. waking up computer

in Cortana
    waking up computer: when i wake up computer i get running dots in cortana and browser search box continually , why is that ? or what can be done not to have that ? i usually do ctrl alt del and just choose cancel--then it stops...
  9. Computer wakes up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer wakes up: My computer keeps waking up on it's own after I put it to sleep. I am running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-wakes-up/f04dadcd-e205-4f5d-b9c8-a4aab97f4895"
  10. Computer Booted Up On It's Own

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Booted Up On It's Own: My desktop PC has randomly booted up on it's own. Also, I noticed yesterday that it kept waking up from sleep on it's own. Is there anything we can do about this. This is very strange! Help would be greatly appreciated! 11699