Windows 10: computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in

Discus and support computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently bought A WD MY BOOK ,but now my computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in. What can I do? Other than the obvious 73680 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bluzeboy, Dec 30, 2016.

1. bluzeboy Win User

computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in

I recently bought A WD MY BOOK ,but now my computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in.
    What can I do? Other than the obvious

:)

bluzeboy, Dec 30, 2016

2. Stuck on Hibernate, Hard Reboot + Physical Removal SSD/RAM Doesn't Solve Problem

To give an update on my situation:

- I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 10 again. It had been almost 3 years anyways, so the timing was right.

- After doing a clean install, I was STILL having that problem! So clearly something's up in with my BIOS or Boot Options...

- I "think" I might've found the root of the problem, but don't know how to fix it per say:

I believe the issue lies in the WD My Book 6TB HD I purchased a few months ago. I hadn't started using it yet, and when I started having it plugged in for my backups, I noticed my computer jam at the start when it's plugged in, and then when it's unplugged
    my computer starts with no issue. It's only after trying different things in booting my PC that I noticed identical steps produced different outcomes whether it was plugged in at startup or not.

The weird thing is my Boot Options is still set as my main SDD, even when that HD is plugged in, I never switched it to that one either, so I have no idea why/how it happens, and how to fix it other than making sure the drive isn't plugged in when I boot.
    I even own another older My Book that is always plugged in, and this one has never given me a problem.

How can I fix it?

EliseFrappier, Dec 30, 2016
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    WD My Book external HDD Will not show up in Windows 10

Hi William,

It is possible that your external hard disk drive was not recognized due to partition issues on your external drive, using the wrong file system, dead USB ports, and driver issues in Windows. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried connecting your external hard disk drive to another computer/device?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for Hardware and Devices. This will identify and diagnose technical issues. Kindly, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select
      Control Panel.
    • On the upper right part of the Control Panel window, type
      Troubleshooting
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Hardware and Devices and follow the prompt to proceed with the troubleshooter.
    • Restart your PC and check if the issue still persist.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Dec 30, 2016
  4. computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in

Adjust your BIOS settings. Remove it from the list of bootable drives.

softwaremaniac, Dec 30, 2016
  5. bluzeboy Win User
    thank you very much ,i never had this problem with my other ext drives

bluzeboy, Dec 30, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    As stated, boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab. Move your internal HDD to the first boot device. Move the WD drive to last drive or take it out of the boot order all together. Save and Exit.

spunk, Jan 1, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Was anything cloned or imaged to this external WD HD? Reason for asking: elsewhere, a few had cloned their whole HD, OS and all, OR had full-imaged restored their OS partition onto -- their 2nd hard-drive, their external usb-connected hard-drive. Upon any cold boot, warm boot, the computer "sees" two operating systems and will try to boot the external device first OR will get "confused" as to just what to boot.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in

1. computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in - Similar Threads - computer boot BOOK

2. WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?: my computer notify when I plug in wd mybook driver but it not show up in files explorer . not show up in disk management but show up in devices manager .in device manager update driver is ok . Open detail is ok open property is ok but when open volome it notify " can not...
  3. WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?: my computer notify when I plug in wd mybook driver but it not show up in files explorer . not show up in disk management but show up in devices manager .in device manager update driver is ok . Open detail is ok open property is ok but when open volome it notify " can not...
  4. WD external drive my book suddenly not show up on computer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WD My Book Essential unresponsive

WD My Book Essential unresponsive: Hello,we have a 3TB WD My Book Essential with very critical data. It was working fine on windows XP and 7. I tried to move it to a new dell workstation with windows 10. It connected and showed the directory structure fine. When I tried to open a file it said it was not...
  6. WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed

WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed: Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.657 Howdy Folks, *Smile Shortly after a successful Macrium Reflect full backup [SSD Primary Image & HDD Secondary Files & Folders .mrbak] on my desktop the Book failed backing up my laptop. Disk Manager says it needs to be initialized...
  7. WD My Book World Edition (White)

WD My Book World Edition (White): After building a PC with win 10, i've not had my WD my book world edition used for a good while, decided to plug it in and install the drivers etc. Plugged it into a switch and it's not being recognised at all, even downloaded the WD cd with the drivers and the detection...
  8. Connecting to WD My Book Live

Connecting to WD My Book Live: I can log into My Book Live, but when I go to File Explorer My Book Live doesn't appear. On a separate PC using Windows 10 it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/connecting-to-wd-my-book-live/eeaf8f94-b8fb-41ff-8718-153ca3f41d95
  9. Need to automatically backup WD My CLoud to WD My Book

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to automatically backup WD My CLoud to WD My Book: I have a 2TB WD My Cloud NAS and a 3 TB WD My Book USB drive. I want to back up the NAS to the USB drive automatically but the software that comes with the My Cloud won't do that. Does anyone know of a free or cheap program that will copy the contents of the NAS to the USB...
  10. Problem with WD My Book WD Unlocker showing twice when in Explore

Problem with WD My Book WD Unlocker showing twice when in Explore: I have a WD 3tb My Book using WD Unlocker for the drive. I use this drive unlocked as I am the only one using the drive and no password required. There are 2 problems I'm having. The first is that when I start Win 10 Pro, 64bit, I get an error message telling me that "The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 will not boot with wd mybook pluged in

2. Computer will not boot with WD My Book attached

3. computer will not boot when connected to wd my book

4. plugging in mybook to pc,
  5. my wd mybook is keeping pc from booting