Windows 10: Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

Discus and support Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have been having this problem for a couple of months and I do not know what to do. I have tried so many different things from many posts and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphajoe, Aug 5, 2018.

1. alphajoe Win User

Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

So I have been having this problem for a couple of months and I do not know what to do. I have tried so many different things from many posts and I can't find anything that works.

A few months ago I replaced my boot drive with an SSD drive. I did this by plugging in the SSD, then transferring my boot drive to the newly installed drive using Macrium Reflect. I then set the new SSD to be the primary boot in the BIOS. Everything seemed to be working fine, however, I noticed that my computer will now not go automatically go to the lock screen after it passes the screen timeout threshold. Specifically, I want it to go to the lock screen slideshow. This worked fine before I transferred, so I am not sure why it would not work now.

I have tried everything I can find on this subject and nothing works. Here is the list of things I can remember that I have tried (in no particular order):

• powercfg /requests - everything fine
    • Change around the timers in the power settings (went to 1 minute on display timer and it did nothing)
    • Customized power plans and then reset them to default
    • Changed Plan settings to prevent multimedia devices from preventing sleep
    • I have updated to the latest system BIOS
    • Updated to the latest display drivers (Nvidia GTX 980)
    • Deleted and recreated the folder setting used for the slideshow
    • Created a new user account. It didn't work either

If anyone has any clues, I am all ears. This has been driving me insane.

:)

alphajoe, Aug 5, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

How to change the Screen Timeout settings

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the desktop and click on Personalization.

• Click on Lock screen

• On the bottom of the screen click on Screen Timeout.

• Under screen select the Time period accordingly.
    Reply us back with the status of this issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Lock screen woes

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to try resolving the issue.

Setting the timeout for Lock Screen

• Press Windows + I and select personalization.
    • Select Lock screen.

• Select the Screen Timeout setting.
    • Select the time of timeout you need and check.

Keep us posted if the issue resolves to help you better.

Sachin V Rao, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

Lock Screen Timer

Hi Peter,

Let us check the Screen timeout settings if the screen
    and sleep function are properly set. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start menu and then choose Settings.
    • Select Personalization and then go to Lock screen.
    • Click Screen timeout settings and make sure that Screen
      and Sleep are set to never.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

1. Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout - Similar Threads - Computer sleep lock

2. Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout: I've seen this Registry setting before, but I just did a web search and couldn't find it. When the screen times out and turns off, there are a couple of seconds during which you can wiggle the mouse or press the space bar and the screen will return, but not be locked. After...
  3. Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout: I've seen this Registry setting before, but I just did a web search and couldn't find it. When the screen times out and turns off, there are a couple of seconds during which you can wiggle the mouse or press the space bar and the screen will return, but not be locked. After...
  4. Adjust Screen Sleep to Lock Timeout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Computer going to “locking” screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer going to “locking” screen: Hello, i’m not sure what info is needed but I do indeed have a windows computer, but when my battery is low, not dead, it randomly shows a blue screen that says “locking” also it shows “hibernating” too, then it goes black, i’ve been looking this up for awhile and i’ve found...
  6. Lock Screen Timeout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen Timeout: Hi all! I have an odd issue: My computer running Windows 10 10.0.18362 Build 18362 won't auto-lock the screen. It turns off the screen like it ought to after 10 minutes but won't lock unless I use the keyboard shortcut. Any ideas on how to get the machine to lock when the...
  7. Lock Screen Timeout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lock Screen Timeout?: Hi All, I have set my display to never lock me out (i work from home) when both on power and battery. However, my screen still locks me out and shows me inactive after 5 minutes. I could be on the phone taking notes and my screen will timeout and lock. Is there something I...
  8. screen timeout/sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen timeout/sleep: my Acer is scheduled to go to sleep after 3 hours of away time (when plugged in) but goes to sleep after only a couple minutes. It is driving me crazy! does anyone know what setting I may need to adjust?...
  9. Screen lock or timeout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen lock or timeout: My screen lock has been set to kick in at 15 mins for some time now but it locks after only a minute or two. How can I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-lock-or-timeout/2bc2c310-a96b-4b5f-8907-d6eaa6e3a919
  10. Lock Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lock Screen Timeout: I have followed all the suggestions made by changes in the registry and in the power options but the timeout in my Windows 10 still remains at 1 to 2 minutes. Is it any way I can just turn off all the functions related to having the computer going to sleep? Any help will be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer not locking when going to sleep

2. pc not going to lock screen when going to sleep