Windows 10: Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

Discus and support Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have been having this problem for a couple of months and I do not know what to do. I have tried so many different things from many posts and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphajoe, Aug 5, 2018.

1. alphajoe Win User

Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout

So I have been having this problem for a couple of months and I do not know what to do. I have tried so many different things from many posts and I can't find anything that works.

A few months ago I replaced my boot drive with an SSD drive. I did this by plugging in the SSD, then transferring my boot drive to the newly installed drive using Macrium Reflect. I then set the new SSD to be the primary boot in the BIOS. Everything seemed to be working fine, however, I noticed that my computer will now not go automatically go to the lock screen after it passes the screen timeout threshold. Specifically, I want it to go to the lock screen slideshow. This worked fine before I transferred, so I am not sure why it would not work now.

I have tried everything I can find on this subject and nothing works. Here is the list of things I can remember that I have tried (in no particular order):

• powercfg /requests - everything fine
    • Change around the timers in the power settings (went to 1 minute on display timer and it did nothing)
    • Customized power plans and then reset them to default
    • Changed Plan settings to prevent multimedia devices from preventing sleep
    • I have updated to the latest system BIOS
    • Updated to the latest display drivers (Nvidia GTX 980)
    • Deleted and recreated the folder setting used for the slideshow
    • Created a new user account. It didn't work either

If anyone has any clues, I am all ears. This has been driving me insane.

:)

alphajoe, Aug 5, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

How to change the Screen Timeout settings

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the desktop and click on Personalization.

• Click on Lock screen

• On the bottom of the screen click on Screen Timeout.

• Under screen select the Time period accordingly.
    Reply us back with the status of this issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Sachin V Rao Win User
    Lock screen woes

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to try resolving the issue.

Setting the timeout for Lock Screen

• Press Windows + I and select personalization.
    • Select Lock screen.

• Select the Screen Timeout setting.
    • Select the time of timeout you need and check.

Keep us posted if the issue resolves to help you better.

Sachin V Rao, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Jamille Nar Win User

Lock Screen Timer

Hi Peter,

Let us check the Screen timeout settings if the screen
    and sleep function are properly set. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start menu and then choose Settings.
    • Select Personalization and then go to Lock screen.
    • Click Screen timeout settings and make sure that Screen
      and Sleep are set to never.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer will not go to sleep (lock screen) via timeout - Similar Threads - Computer sleep lock

2. Locked Computer Screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked Computer Screen: I have realised that I have been scammed, thought I was talking to Microsoft about my computer being locked. Now that they have my information could you kindly advise what I can do to protect my computer from any further violations from these people. I feel pretty stupid...
  3. Computer Won't Go to Sleep Automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Won't Go to Sleep Automatically: Hi all, After I upgraded to Windows 10, my system won't go to sleep automatically. The display will turn off after the idle time I've set but the computer remains on. I've tested with setting it to sleep after being idle for 1 minute, and only the display turns off. If I...
  4. Computer does't go to auto-sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer does't go to auto-sleep: Hi, A trick has been proposed on this forum to solve that problem : powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "srvnet" SYSTEM on an admin command line. My question : what would be the command line that restore the srvnet driver in case the trick is not totally operational?...
  5. My computer won't go to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    My computer won't go to sleep: From yesterday, my computer do a restart instead of shutdown when I click the shutdown button. I figured out that when I disable fast starup in Power options. My computer can now shutdown properly. But it can't go to sleep. I click the sleep button, it just go dark and then...
  6. Computer doesn't go to sleep!

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer doesn't go to sleep!: Hi! My computer doesn't go to sleep. My monitor turn off as i want but the pc not rather, i notice that power consumption pass from 24W to 27-30W. Therefore i use Windows Performance analyzer and i find that after 100s, the process "logonUI.exe" start and use 2/3% of my...
  7. My computer will randomly go to the lock screen

in Windows 10 Support
    My computer will randomly go to the lock screen: When I am using my computer, the screen will go black and then go to the lock screen, just like if I had locked it using the start menu. It happens even If I'm actively using my computer. All my power settings are set so that when my laptop is on the "hp recommended" power...
  8. no sleep option in lock screen

in Windows 10 Support
    no sleep option in lock screen: sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldn't find anything about a missing sleep option from the lock screen, only a shut down option. i recently had to reinstall windows 10 (home), and since i've reinstalled, i've lost my sleep option from the lock screen. i can...
  9. Computer Will Not Go to Sleep or Stay Asleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Will Not Go to Sleep or Stay Asleep: Computers and proper sleep have been the bane of my existence for years. Sleep issues prove extra difficult to diagnose, in spite of hours and hours of research, because you have to wait and see what happens. I am an experienced builder, and a relatively competent...
  10. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!: I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why. Previously when I enable turning off the lock screen in gpedit.msc it turns off the lock screen timeout too. But on the latest build I still get a much sooner...