Windows 10: Computer won't post after graphics card replacement

Discus and support Computer won't post after graphics card replacement in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Okay, so I bought this Radeon RX 550 and I installed it into my PC, the computer wouldn't POST and I realized the GPU fans would turn on later than the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Fir, Jan 14, 2018.

1. FIR
    Fir Win User

Computer won't post after graphics card replacement

Okay, so I bought this Radeon RX 550 and I installed it into my PC, the computer wouldn't POST and I realized the GPU fans would turn on later than the other fans, at st I thought it was the PSU so I bought a 500W and installed it into my PC and it still wouldn't work.

:)

2. Chinee899 Win User

"System settings changed" prompt

Hi

My have resolved after replaced a new AMD graphic card. It was my graphic card problem.

I tried all steps to uninstall the driver, change the AMD utility to start manually, it won't fix my problem.

Chinee899, Jan 14, 2018
  3. I can't replace my graphics card after win 10 upgrade

Hi
    Pendous

You could try going to the manufactures official site, of the new graphic card, and download latest drivers for your graphic card, and install them, than try to replace the graphic card, maybe it will help. If not, try reverting back to win 7 and replace
    the graphic card. There is also the possibility that the new graphic card is not working.

Maybe try to replace the graphic card in another computer to see if it works.

Hope this Helps!

Kind Regards:

-

Archer's Pain, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Computer won't post after graphics card replacement

I assume you are using the ASUS P5KPL AM SE in your profile. And I assume the GT 630 still works if you plug it into the slot.

Unfortunately it looks like the board doesn't have an onboard speaker, just a speaker header. But on the off-chance you have a speaker (maybe it came with your case), that would be a way to hear what the POST error is.

The G31 chipset does have onboard graphics. Do you see any output if you hook up your monitor to the VGA port on the motherboard while the RX550is installed?

The chipset only supports PCIe 1.1. Theoretically the RX550 (PCIe 3.0) should be backwards compatible but most likely very little testing was done with that combination.

PolarNettles, Jan 14, 2018
  5. FIR
    Fir Win User
    Okay, so when the RX550 is installed and I plug it into the G31 chipset I get no output, however when I plug it in while there is no GPU then I do get output. Everytime the device POSTs I hear a beep coming from the system but with the RX 550 I don't hear anything.

6. bobkn Win User
    The usual ritual I follow when swapping graphics cards is:

--With the old card in place, uninstall its drivers.

--Shut down the PC. Do not restart instead.

--Swap in the new graphics card.

--Power up the PC

--Install the new drivers.

Also, in the past, I have had to clear the CMOS (also known as resetting the real time clock) to get the new card recognized.

All this assumes that the new card is working properly.

Good luck.

bobkn, Jan 14, 2018
  7. I assume you have the latest BIOS version - P5KPL-AM BIOS & FIRMWARE | Motherboards | ASUS Global

With the RX550 removed, try modifying the BIOS setting Chipset->Initiate Graphics Adapter to [PEG/IGD]. Then save, shut down, and install the card.

If that doesn't help then you can clear CMOS as suggested by bobkin.

Otherwise it's either a bad card or just an incompatibility with your motherboard. I would lean towards the latter since the G31 is an 11-year-old chipset.

PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer won't post after graphics card replacement

1. Computer won't post after graphics card replacement - Similar Threads - Computer won't post

2. Graphics card won't display anything on the monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics card won't display anything on the monitor: I am having trouble with my display adapter, it was working just a few days ago but now it has an error. It says Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43 and if I go to event details it has an error: Device...
  3. Graphics card won't display anything on the monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics card won't display anything on the monitor: I am having trouble with my display adapter, it was working just a few days ago but now it has an error. It says Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43 and if I go to event details it has an error: Device...
  4. Graphic card drivers break computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphic card drivers break computer: When i download my graphics drivers for my gtx 770, or my radeon rx 550 things stop working, settings wont open at all, i can run things as admin, anything i download freezes halfway through download or just doesnt start at all. please help...
  5. Computer can't detect graphic card after windows update

Computer can't detect graphic card after windows update: Today I did a windows update and after the update, the computer detects the graphics card and the fans are running at full speed.Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?Have I lost my graphics card for real ??I have an Acer Laptop Acer aspire vx5-591g...
  6. Do I need to replace my graphics card?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need to replace my graphics card?: Hello. I recently had problems with BSOD on random occasions. I tried everything, including complete clean reinstall of my PC. It still gave me BSOD. I have an Acer Swift Laptop. So I looked in the device manager and saw that my intel(r) uhd graphics 620 had a code 43 and...
  7. New Graphic card to replace AMD Radeon hd 7970M.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New Graphic card to replace AMD Radeon hd 7970M.: Hi there. I have trouble finding a replacement to my old graphic card in my laptop. Does it pay off to replace the AMD Radeon hd 7970M as it is no longer supported and replace it with a newer one that may enable me to play Space engineers?
  8. Replacement Graphics Card

Replacement Graphics Card: Hello, I’m trying to repair an elderly friend’s desktop PC and hope someone can help. In early November Windows Update supplied a driver update for the graphics card, AMD/ATI Radeon HD5570 DDR3. Straight afterwards the display screen was corrupted with block colours and bars,...
  9. Multiple BSODs on computer after getting a new graphics card.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSODs on computer after getting a new graphics card.: I recently had an extensive issue with graphics drivers and windows updater removing them and eventually i just decided to upgrade my graphics card, which fixed the issue i was having. Since then I have had multiple different BSODS in the past week that will happen every...
  10. After Creators Update - Won't boot with graphics card driver installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Creators Update - Won't boot with graphics card driver installed: As the title suggests, I allowed the creators update to install itself yesterday and now the computer will get stuck whilst booting. I took the graphics card out and used the onboard graphics and it then booted fine. Uninstalled the graphics drivers and rebooted with graphics...