Windows 10: Computer won't recognize headset microphone

Discus and support Computer won't recognize headset microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I recently got a new headset with a mic, as i have been using an external mic that was separate from my old headphones and was really old and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aaeeschylus, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Computer won't recognize headset microphone

Hello,

I recently got a new headset with a mic, as i have been using an external mic that was separate from my old headphones and was really old and dodgy. The new headset i got was the Plantronics Rig Flex LX. It has really good sound quality and everything works well on my Xbox. However, when i went to use it on my computer, the computer will recognize the headset as a playback device, but doesnt recognize it as a recording device.

I have updated all of my drivers and tried plugging my headset into all of the 3 audio jacks (one for microphones, one for headphones, one for combination) but it still doesnt work.

Does anyone know a solution?

:)

Aaeeschylus, Jul 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 does not recognize headset with microphone

Windows 10 does not recognize headset with microphone. Actually it does not recognize that the headset has a microphone.

The headset is properly integrated but not the microphone on the headset.

BoEngström, Jul 22, 2016
  3. USB Audio device not recognized on Windows 10

I have been having a recurring issue with any USB any devices being recognized on Windows 10, even ones that don't require drivers. Specifically I just bought a SADES A60/OMG plug and play headset and the system simply won't recognize it at all and regulates
    it to 'other devices' in the device manager when it's not even supposed to require a driver. Here is a link to the headset. Why won't it just recognize it? It should just plug and play.

USB Gaming Headset-SADES A60/OMG Computer Over Ear Stereo Heaphones With Microphone Noise Isolating Volume Control LED Light (Black+White) For PC & MAC:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

David5000_640, Jul 22, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Computer won't recognize headset microphone

spunk, Jul 22, 2016
  5. fireberd Win User
    If it has a "TRRS" plug, it will require an adapter for PC's. PC's (most) require TRS type plugs, one for the mic and another for the headset.

Here is an example of a TRRS plug (used with an iPhone and some game consoles such as a PS4).

Computer won't recognize headset microphone [​IMG]

Here is an example of a 3.5mm TRS plug

fireberd, Jul 22, 2016
  6. The headset seems to have a TRRS plug. However, i did not think that would be a problem. I use the Alienware 17 laptop (planning to build a pc later this year), and it has 3 audio ports. They each have a diagram next to them. The diagrams (in order) are: A microphone, headphones, a headset (with the mic coming off of it). Because of the headset image, i would assume that it would be a TRRS port. That doesnt work though.

7. fireberd Win User
    That suggests it is TRRS compatible.

Go to the Sounds panel and the Recording Section. "Stereo MIx" should be set as default recording device. That may not fix the mic detection problem but with stereo mix any (detected) input is active.

Also, go to the Device Manager and display the Sound section. It should list the Realtek and possibly an HDMI audio device. If it has any others, such as the generic "HIgh Definition Audio Device", disable that, restart the PC and then see if its detected.

fireberd, Jul 22, 2016
  8. Computer won't recognize headset microphone

This is what i see in device manager. Im not sure if the Speakers/Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio) is the one your saying to disable, as that is what is default in playback devices in the sounds panel.

Setting Stereo Mix as the default recording device and disabling everything else still didnt get the mic working, even when the headset is plugged into the microphone only audio port or the mic + sound audio port.

9. fireberd Win User
    That looks OK.
    This is what I'm seeing in my Recording Panel and Device Manager. You should have something similar.
    Just trying to get this part straight away. Are you using the Dell provided Realtek sound drivers?

fireberd, Jul 22, 2016
  10. I would assume I am using the Dell provided Realtek sound Drivers. Im not entirely sure though. Heres what I see in the same spot as your two images. The microphone that is disabled is the inbuilt microphone next to the webcam.

Aaeeschylus, Jul 23, 2016
  11. fireberd Win User
    Try enabling the mic and see if works/makes a difference.

Also, temporarily disable the XSplit Stream Audio Renderer, in the Device Manager to see if it is causing the problem.

fireberd, Jul 23, 2016
  12. I tried disabling XSplit Audio Renderer. That didnt seem to do anything. Not sure if i should restart computer or not. Enabling the mic only enables my inbuilt mic next to my webcam, which is unusable because of the fans of the computer.

Aaeeschylus, Jul 23, 2016
  13. fireberd Win User

Restart after disabling the XSplit. May not make a difference but worth trying.

What's left is the possibility the multi jack is the issue. A computer mic needs +5V DC to operate. If that is not being provided it could be a reason the mic is not detected or working. Another problem is the jack or internal components.

Since the separate mic jack works, you could get a splitter, to provide separate TRS plugs for the mic and headset and try that. If that still does not work, it suggests there is a compatibility problem between the headset and your PC (since you reported the headset/mic work in a game console).

fireberd, Jul 23, 2016
  14. Ok, so, i did a couple of things. First i checked in the computer manual to see if it was a TRRS audio port, to which it stated "microphone, or headphones or microphone and headphones combination." This proves that it is a TRRS audio port.

Next, i went onto my dell inspiron 15 -7559, which is my work computer (which has a single TRRS audio port). I plugged the headset in and something came up, asking me what i plugged in. It seemed to be a dell program. It had options such as Speaker, Headphones, Headset (with mic). I selected the Headset (with mic) option and bam, the microphone worked.

So what i was thinking, could my main computer with the troubles have something that has already determined that what i am plugging in is just headphones?

Aaeeschylus, Jul 25, 2016
  15. And i think i just worked it out. I went into the alienware audio program. I was looking around for microphone related stuff and stumbled across this in advanced:

The check box at the bottom was not checked, so it was not asking me anything when plugging in my headset. when i clicked on the port that was not grayed out, this appeared:

And once i chose headset (with microphone) and tested it out in some of my programs that i can use voice in, it was working.

Thanks for all the help leading up to this!!!

Aaeeschylus, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Computer won't recognize headset microphone - Similar Threads - Computer won't recognize

2. Xiberia headset microphone not recognized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xiberia headset microphone not recognized.: So I recently got a headset with a decent microphone for an online course, but I noticed that my computer was still only using the built-in microphone. I look up some advice for getting it working, and when I look at my device manager and my control panel, it wasn't showing...
  3. Xiberia headset microphone not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xiberia headset microphone not recognized.: So I recently got a headset with a decent microphone for an online course, but I noticed that my computer was still only using the built-in microphone. I look up some advice for getting it working, and when I look at my device manager and my control panel, it wasn't showing...
  4. Headset microphone isn't recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset microphone isn't recognized: I have been using my HyperX Cloud Stinger Gaming Headset for awhile now on this computer, and the microphone worked perfectly fine until I come back to my computer, turn it on, and go onto a call with my friends online. They only could hear what I know is my built...
  5. Microphone on Headset not recognized by Windows

Microphone on Headset not recognized by Windows: My headset is the Turtle Beach Recon 70. I have it plugged in to the 3.5mm Combo Jack on my ASUS laptop, and I get sound output to the headphones. The mic, however, is not recognized by the system. The jack should support output and input, but there seems to be no way to get...
  6. Headset microphone not being recognized

Headset microphone not being recognized: I have used this headset with the laptop before, and I have used both the mic and the headphones with it. However, I just went to use it again after some time, and my laptop doesn't recognize the mic with it. The sound still goes through the headphones, and it registers it as...
  7. Headset's Microphone isn't recognized

Headset's Microphone isn't recognized: Good Afternoon, I recently bought a Headset that my PC doesn't totally recognize - it appears connected, but only as audio output and not as audio input. I've tried to troubleshoot my problem, but Microsoft's solutions as well the solutions given by the company that...
  8. Computer Not Using and or Not recognizing Headset Microphone

Computer Not Using and or Not recognizing Headset Microphone: Recently I got a gaming headset but upon plugging in the headset my microphone jack, I realized my computer was not picking up audio from the headset mic. I have looked through other forums but I still cannot find a solution to this problem. I have looked at the sound...
  9. PC not recognizing headset microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC not recognizing headset microphone: I just recently bought a Cyberpower PC with windows ten installed. I tried to use my built in headset mic to talk with my friends on discord, but it wasn't recognized. I have a turtle beach recon. I reinstalled the drivers, and it still says that there is no microphone...
  10. Headset Microphone not Recognized

Headset Microphone not Recognized: I am using a headset with two plugs for audio and microphone individually, and I use an adapter that turns them into a single 3.5mm jack. For some reason, I can hear the audio in my headset, but my microphone does not work. More specifically, the microphone doesn't even show...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my computer wont recognize my headset mic

2. windows 10 wont recognize microphone

3. computer wont recognize usb microphone

4. computer wont recognize headphone mic,
  5. pc wont recognize headset mic