Windows 10: Computer won't sleep; "Driver WSDScan stopped the power transition"

Discus and support Computer won't sleep; "Driver WSDScan stopped the power transition" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Lately, whenever I sleep my desktop PC, it wakes up again almost immediately. I checked the Event Viewer and found this every time right after the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eksy61, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Eksy61 Win User

Computer won't sleep; "Driver WSDScan stopped the power transition"

Lately, whenever I sleep my desktop PC, it wakes up again almost immediately.

I checked the Event Viewer and found this every time right after the computer tries to go to sleep:

"The driver \Driver\WSDScan for device SWD\DAFWSDProvider\urn:uuid:e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-34238763972f/uri:e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-34238763972f/ScannerService stopped the power transition."

Apparently, this is a driver for something called the WSD Print Provider, which in Device Manager has an entry for my printer, a Brother MFC-J450DW. I tried to disable this driver. I could still print to the printer (since it's on my LAN), but disabling the driver didn't keep the computer from awakening right after it goes to sleep.

Why do I need WSD Print Provider anyway? Can I get rid of it safely somehow?
    And how about the driver file itself, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\WSDScan.sys ? Can I safely delete it or rename it?

:)

Eksy61, Jan 21, 2017

2. Laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep mode

Use powercfg to find out if you can Hibernate (e.g. powercfg.exe /a). Make sure your Hiberfil.sys is big enough to allow your system to Hibernate (e.g. not just assist a Fast Restart). Then use Advanced Power Options (in Control Panel) to ensure that Hibernate
    is used when the Sleep state transitions to a lower power sleep state. Etc.

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jan 21, 2017
  3. WA Young Win User
    power options

I run a program late at night that won't run while the computer is at sleep. I've set the power options to "never" both on battery and plug but it continues to go to sleep. How can I fix this?

WA Young, Jan 21, 2017
  4. Computer won't sleep; "Driver WSDScan stopped the power transition"

I believe you will find that WSDScan is for scanning which your Brothers printer likely has the capability to do. Likely it thinks someone has pressed scan and so computer is waking up, at least that is what it thinks it is seeing.

I would head to the Brothers site and check for updated firmware, software and updated drivers for the scan and printer.

After updating any necessary items I would power down Printer and router to ensure any extraneous requests are not coming from either to wake up. (Updating firmware has associated risks, may be last thing you want to do.)

On the next wake up I would enter Command Prompt(admin)

powercfg -lastwake

and see who the gremiln was. There are commands with powercfg to disable a device's ability to wake a system.

Caledon Ken, Jan 21, 2017
  5. Eksy61 Win User
    I can scan even with that driver disabled.

The Device Manager shows that it's part of "WSD Print Provider," which is part of Web Services for Devices (WSD).

But I'm not letting clients access my printer or computer over the Internet--so why would I ever need that?

Eksy61, Jan 21, 2017
  6. Looking at it online I can't imagine why it would be waking your device. That is not normal. At least if you disable and you know you've done it, then you can always undo.

Would still be interested to see what Powercfg reports.

Caledon Ken, Jan 22, 2017
  7. Eksy61 Win User
    A google search has revealed that other users have found the same problem on occasion.

But I'm pretty sure I found the underlying cause and solution.

A month ago, I installed the updated driver. And looking in Devices and Printers\Printer Properties, it showed that it created a second copy of the device: "MFC-J450DW" (on a TCP/IP port) and "MFC-J450DW (Copy 1)" on a WSD port.

So I deleted the second copy, uninstalled the drivers, and then reinstalled them again. Voila! No second copy on a WSD port, and everything is back to normal with printing and computer sleeping. From now on, I'll make a System Restore checkpoing and uninstall the old drivers before I install any updated drivers.

Sorry, I can't run powercfg -lastwake anymore because I had to reboot after installing the new drivers.

So, I think we can mark this issue as solved !

Eksy61, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer won't sleep; "Driver WSDScan stopped the power transition"

1. Computer won't sleep; "Driver WSDScan stopped the power transition" - Similar Threads - Computer won't sleep

2. Computer Won't Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Won't Sleep: Everytime I tell my computer to sleep it just goes to the lock screen. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-wont-sleep/a040a24d-375d-4844-b471-e0cd0b860d23
  3. Computer Won't Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Won't Sleep: Everytime I tell my computer to sleep it just goes to the lock screen. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-wont-sleep/a040a24d-375d-4844-b471-e0cd0b860d23
  4. Power and Sleep option stops working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power and Sleep option stops working: My Power and Sleep 30 minute limit wasn't always turning off the display as specified. I suspected an app might be impacting that process and I thought of Media Player, which has been known know to exhibit rather strange behavior on occasion. Detail of the steps I executed to...
  5. RealTek Audio Drivers Stopping Computer from Sleeping

RealTek Audio Drivers Stopping Computer from Sleeping: Hi everyone, I've checked out the other threads on this issue and have tried all of their solutions - no luck so far. As they are all locked, I thought I would post another thread. I recently purchased a new desktop and have had troubles getting it to go to sleep or turn...
  6. Computer won't sleep

Computer won't sleep: New machine, ~6 weeks - Win 10 Pro, Ryzen 12 core processor, 64GB RAM, nVidia 1660Ti GPU. Up until the last few days, the power settings were working properly. The displays would turn off after the set time and the computer would go to sleep shortly thereafter. The past...
  7. Power and sleep setting won't save.

Power and sleep setting won't save.: My power and sleep settings won't stay how I set them. Every time I reboot, they go back to a default of turning off the display after 1 hour and sleeping the PC at 2 hours. I don't need to save battery power on this desktop PC and I want it to stay on....
  8. Computer won't sleep after Power Options criteria are met

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't sleep after Power Options criteria are met: My computer should go to sleep after 30 minutes plugged in - and go into hibernation after 180 minutes plugged in. However, after waiting overnight, it is still "awake" with no apps running. I ran "powercfg /requests" and this was the result: SYSTEM:[DRIVER] Realtek High...
  9. Computer won't sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't sleep: My computer won't sleep, like ven enter the sleep mode. It does the usual fade to black, then to the blue "No signal detected" screen, then to black again after varying periods of time, then my desktop. It is quite irritating, as I had just fixed it (Not sure how) and got it...
  10. Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition

Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition: Hi, I am a new user in this forum but have been reading it for years. I have an interesting observation to share and to seek some advice. I experimented with two laptops: Lenovo X220 (rather old one) and Samsung notebook NB9 (2019). Both run Windows 10 1909 version. I set...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Driver\WSDScan

2. DAFWSDProvider

3. the driver \driver\wsdscan for device swd\dafwsdprovider\urn:uuid:cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-b0e892f6c166/uri:urn:uuid:cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-b0e892f6c166/01 stopped the power transition.

4. The driver \Driver\WSDScan for device SWD\DAFWSDProvider stopped the power transition.,
  5. hp_wsprint.wsdl stopped the power transition.,
  6. ScannerService stopped the power transition.,
  7. driver\wsdscan stopped the power transition