Windows 10: Computer wouldn't boot after cloning to SSD

Discus and support Computer wouldn't boot after cloning to SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've seen a lot of threads of people who have migrated to an SSD and the SSD would not boot, and here's the solution I found: Upgraded my daughter's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Computer wouldn't boot after cloning to SSD

I've seen a lot of threads of people who have migrated to an SSD and the SSD would not boot, and here's the solution I found:

Upgraded my daughter's laptop to SSD. I wanted to clean up the partition layout and resize some partitions (especially since the SSD was 20GB smaller than the HDD). I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to copy over the partitions I wanted to keep, one at time, put them in the order I wanted on the SSD, and resize them. Installed the SSD in the laptop, and at boot I got the Windows startup repair BSOD. Hmmm....the EFI System partition was the first partition I copied over.

Booted into Kyhi's Recovery Tools, ran Macrium Reflect, selected the fix Windows startup problems utility. It found the Windows installation on the SSD, but no system partition to write the boot files to. Ran AEOMI Partition Wizard and the first partition was the FAT32 EFI partition, but it was not marked as an EFI System partition - it looked like just any other partition. The partition ID that made it an EFI System partition did not copy over.

The fix: open a command prompt with admin rights. Run:
    diskpart
    select disc 0 (select the SSD you need to work on. List disc if you are not sure)
    select part 1 (select the FAT32 partition that is supposed to be EFI System. List part if you are not sure)
    setid=C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B override
    exit
    exit

Then just to be sure, I ran Macrium Reflect Fix Windows starup problems again just to be sure, this time it showed the EFI System partition, wrote the boot files to it, and computer booted just fine from SSD.

:)

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2016

2. Drive Partitions

I cleaned the SSD after I cloned it to the HDD

chrisjieberson, Dec 6, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    System and Reserved storage usage...

Hi,

I'm not sure you will have much luck with Cloning... Some programs do not function well when going that much smaller... But it wouldn't hurt to try...

It is not a good idea to leave a Windows installation on your original drive... It can potentially lead to boot errors\crashes...

You need to move as many of your personal user files to a external drive as possible...

Downloaded programs you wan to keep, pictures, data, and etc...

Part of the 360GB Used Space is probably something like 20GB of hidden system files...

When you do the cloning, simply hook up the SSD and launch the cloning program...

Look for an option to NOT INCLUDE the HP Recovery partition... It will be useless on the SSD anyway... it will not function on a smaller drive.

I prefer to do Cloning\Imaging when booting from the Cloning\Imaging Program...

Things usually seem to work out better that way...

After you clone to the SSD, unhook the other before booting to the SSD, at least for the first few times...

You may need to enter your machines BIOS and set the SSD as the first HDD Boot Device, and maybe change the first Boot Device as well... This depends on whether you want to set a DVD drive or USB Flash Drive as the first boot device...

Changing boot drives usually messes up those settings

slance310, Dec 6, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

Thank you, I'm going to save this.

TrustMe, Dec 6, 2016
  5. linw Win User
    Yep, thanks, got it saved.

Had a no boot after clone to SSD once, but, in that case, Macrium fixed it. Got lucky!!

linw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer wouldn't boot after cloning to SSD - Similar Threads - Computer wouldn't boot

2. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  3. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  4. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  6. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  7. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  8. HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone: Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify it. Do I need to redo it. [img] [img] 175565
  9. SSD won't boot after clone

SSD won't boot after clone: Hi all, I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium Reflect to a new Samsung SSD. And it appeared to clone everything correctly. I then powered off my computer and swapped out the...
  10. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD: I recently cloned my HDD to my SSD, to have my OS run quicker. The cloning went well, and I have set the SSD as the nr. 1 in the boot priority (each and every one of them), yet when I go into the Disk Management, my old HDD (C drive) is still labelled "boot" ***Original...