Windows 10: Computer's Bad Habits

Discus and support Computer's Bad Habits in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My win 10 computer developed recently bad habits. Every day, about 2 hours after turning it on, a notice on the screen that "new updates are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Computer's Bad Habits

Hello,
    My win 10 computer developed recently bad habits. Every day, about 2 hours after turning it on,
    a notice on the screen that "new updates are ready, scheduled restart or restart now..", so I select restart, and again the blue screen "working on updates" which ends with the (you know) black screen, nothing is working and have to use my restore again.
    I disabled the update service, what else can I do to stop this. It consumes my time and cannot use computer when this happens.
    Made full scan with Windows defender - all is clean. (There is not any antivirus installed)
    So I will ask your help once more, please.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Jul 16, 2017
  2. WindowsOS Win User

Just had my laptop updated in win 10 automatically by Microsoft. Completely deleted CCleaner

Microsoft have got a really Bad habit of deleting programs off peoples computers during upgrades including anti-virus and anti-malware/spyware programs. They really need to stop it !! Bunch of Dummies !!

WindowsOS, Jul 16, 2017
  3. N82 Display Brightness, Whats Going On Here?

Are they well put together? I have a bad habit of breaking earphones Computer's Bad Habits :D

psychomania---01, Jul 16, 2017
  4. Computer's Bad Habits

--- I have seen what you describe and I'm familiar when it's time consuming and interfering with your work.
    --- Since you know that there is a windows updates ready to download/install, plan a day when it's possible to allow it to complete itself.
    --- Also consider creating a system image backup as well as saving your data and have a USB Recovery Drive just in case something does go wrong.
    You have version 1511 and the updates that are being attempted to install are probably for the CU version 1703.
    --- If that isn't the case, please let us know.
    --- My thinking is that there is extra effort involved in such an update.
    --- Some people who called me and told me how there is a black screen and nothing is happening: I have told them not to touch anything.
    --- In a few cases it took a couple of hours and a few others it took many hours (one time it was in the 12 hour timeframe)
    --- Leave the computer on overnight: let the update happen according to it's recommended time so it doesn't interfere while you are doing your work or set it to a convenient time such as 11:00 PM.
    --- Being a simple computer user, I'm not technically savvy enough to explain it as well as I'd like to but that has worked very well in the situations I've been involved in.

Just today one of my Win10 computers updated from 1607 to 1703 and it took only 27 minutes total
    --- It was scheduled for 11:58 AM, I saved my data and let the computer do what it had to do while I took a break.
    --- I suspect it went that well is was because there weren't any intermediate updates that had to be accounted for.
    --- One of my habits is to leave my computer on overnight most of the time especially around the " 3 Patch Tuesdays" time frame and/or noticing that there are updates ready to be done: that way my updates are always up-to-date.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 16, 2017
  5. Motim Win User
    Hello,Thanks for the detailed answer.The system is 1511, but I do not know which updates are on the way, just this black screen on one restart makes me afraid something wrong with the computer.I always have on a second disk a current image backup.Right now the updates option is turned off, I'll try it soon. I was thinking that this black screen happens only to my computer.What I wonder is why the HD light not flashing even a little when this happens.Thanks again.

Motim, Jul 17, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Maybe you`re having problems because you are so far behind, just a thought.

Why don`t you just download the Creator`s Update Iso file, crate a dvd or usb installer, and clean install it ?????

Download Windows 10

AddRAM, Jul 17, 2017
  7. I understand what you mean.

Go into Update & Security and select Update History. In my experience once an update is ready to be installed as yours seems to be, there is a prior preliminary update relating to the upcoming update sometimes as much as a month ahead if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I don't recall what that preliminary prior update is but it will identify the upcoming update intending to be installed once it's finally ready to naturally update. If it shows 1703, that's what should be trying to update: I know it did on my computer.

On the black screen, in my experience it hasn't caused a problem yet and I suspect the update is doing it's best to get caught up. Naturally it's possible there is something wrong but the good thing is you do have a system image backup available if needed. Create a system restore point also as well as a USB Recovery Drive: that might save you the trouble of reverting to your system image backup. I prefer to have more than one recovery option.

On the HD light not flashing not even a little, I've seen that also but I've never sat through the entire process of getting through a black screen.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 17, 2017
  8. Motim Win User

Computer's Bad Habits

Hello,
    Thanks for the answer.If I download the Creator's Update: Install it over my current system ?Do I have to register again and activate Windows?What will happen to Office and all other installed programs ?The link in your answer as I understand is strait to the update, not to an Iso file, when I made an Iso file with the tool, it made a copy of my system.Lot of questions, waiting for answers.Thanks

Motim, Jul 17, 2017
  9. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Made final effort to update the system, used a new-made Iso file, (made a new image with Macrium) mounted it and started the setup. At the beginnig all was well, until it reached about 72%, there was a restart and froze. Screen black, only the ring of dots turning. As you sugested, left it over night (almost 12 hours) - miracles happen only in fairytales - in the morning had to restore with the image. I may once more try the 'Windows 10 upgrade assistant'.
    Its better an 'ancient' working system then a metal box.
    Thanks alot

PS. There is not any antivirus software installed.

Motim, Jul 21, 2017
  10. Thanks Motim. At least you tried. It's sure a good thing you had an image to restore to.
    EDIT: I'm writing this in my doctors place and I don't recall which tutorial it is: but there is a way to refresh your system and keep your data, programs etc. Would you be willing to try that? I know the black screen could still be an issue, but trying to keep your data and future updates in control can be worth finding out.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 24, 2017
  11. I’m beginning to think that the windows updates and black screening issues could also be related to some system files problems.
    Although I’ve never had to follow up on how to address integrity issues, I have run sfc /scannow with administrative rights and have gotten "System Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" results. Try it on your computer and see what it reports.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 24, 2017
  12. benedict Win User
    I wish this update issue could be solved for good. Its been a recurring issue for lots of people since Win8.

benedict, Jul 25, 2017
  13. Bastet Win User

Computer's Bad Habits

Is your graphics card driver up to date?
    Do you have any USB devices especially Logitech mouse &/or keyboard connected? There was a problem between USB devices being connected & black screen w/ spinning dots so it's recommended to remove/disconnect all USB devices before upgrading or installing Windows 10.

Bastet, Jul 25, 2017
  14. Unfortunately there isn't a way to keep your programs by refreshing your system that I know of.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer's Bad Habits

1. Computer's Bad Habits - Similar Threads - Computer's Bad Habits

2. Computer games lagging badly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer games lagging badly: My computer has been lagging badly for the past 3 weeks this lag problem started basically out of nowhere as it was fine before. I noticed when I play roblox my ping will fluctuate throughout the day from averaging 70-90ms of ping then suddenly spiking to 1000ms where the...
  3. Computer games lagging badly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer games lagging badly: My computer has been lagging badly for the past 3 weeks this lag problem started basically out of nowhere as it was fine before. I noticed when I play roblox my ping will fluctuate throughout the day from averaging 70-90ms of ping then suddenly spiking to 1000ms where the...
  4. Computer games lagging badly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Strange "Scrolling" habit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange "Scrolling" habit: In Windows 11, scrolling shows a strange habit see picture.When clicking on Page-down in the scroll bar, the scroll bar moves a page down but the contents of the file stays the same.No scroll down.When clicking on scroll-up and scroll-down again, the error seems to have...
  6. Strange "Scrolling" habit

Strange "Scrolling" habit: In Windows 11, scrolling shows a strange habit see picture.When clicking on Page-down in the scroll bar, the scroll bar moves a page down but the contents of the file stays the same.No scroll down.When clicking on scroll-up and scroll-down again, the error seems to have...
  7. Computer badly messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer badly messed up: I'll get straight to the point to not bother you with unneeded information.I tried factory restarting my Windows 11 computer with the reset settings Remove everything > Local reinstall > Clean data, Delete files from all drivesThen I got the message "There was a problem...
  8. Computer badly messed up

Computer badly messed up: I'll get straight to the point to not bother you with unneeded information.I tried factory restarting my Windows 11 computer with the reset settings Remove everything > Local reinstall > Clean data, Delete files from all drivesThen I got the message "There was a problem...
  9. Ok microsoft im tired of bad computing and bad computer protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ok microsoft im tired of bad computing and bad computer protection: Dear Microsoft Community I have recently downloaded malware on one of my computers this is a black screen malware I found this out after a few DAYS of searching the internet. I am tired of this. here is one of my Complaint. Upgrade windows Sercurity. I Dont like when it...
  10. 1 very annoying file explorer habit

in Windows 10 Support
    1 very annoying file explorer habit: I open file explorer and start boring down to my intended destination. When I'm about there, explorer I guess has now found the network and the left panel of explorer scoots back to the top. Is there a setting, like maybe delay looking for the network after explorer is opened...