Windows 10: Computers slow slow slow slow down; what do I do?

Discus and support Computers slow slow slow slow down; what do I do? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Both my and my wife's computer will just sorta die; they work but things that should take a couple seconds take many minutes. Restarting fixes it, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Toller, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Toller Win User

Computers slow slow slow slow down; what do I do?

Both my and my wife's computer will just sorta die; they work but things that should take a couple seconds take many minutes. Restarting fixes it, but it can take 15 minutes just to shut the computer down. Once I had to unplug it.
    Mine is 3 months old, hers maybe 5 years.

This started perhaps a month ago.

I have run 4 virus programs (Panda, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Bitdefender) and they all report no problems. On mine I also ran the full Tango (Security Tango) with nothing showing up.

I originally blamed our internet connection, but that couldn't affect my ability to close a program, or even move the mouse.
    What can I do?

:)

Toller, Nov 15, 2016
  2. Slow Win User
  3. N80 - Messaging

hi recently this has been happening with my phone as well it has slowed down not as slow as yours tho.....but ive found that when the phone memory is low the phones slow down.....it also happened with my trusty ol' 6620....low memory slows the phone down.....remember
    that these phones are "considered" mobile computers and if that has any truth to it the memory on your cpu when low slows down your cpu

roberth---01, Nov 15, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

Are you using Windows 10? I will assume yes.

Disable Fast Startup in Windows. Right click on Windows Start button and select Power Options, select Change what the power buttons do, select, Change settings that are currently unavailable, uncheck Windows fast startup. Close open windows, right click Windows start button, hover Shutdown or sign out, select Restart.

Enjoy

Railtech, Nov 16, 2016
  5. Toller Win User
    yes, Windows 10. Sorry.

That didn't work on either computer; the fast start wasn't showing. I read that you can make it show by turning hibernation on. I did that and it showed as checked. I unchecked it and restarted.

But if hibernation was off, wasn't fast start off also? So I really didn't change anything, did I?

Toller, Nov 16, 2016
  6. Railtech Win User
    Nope you sure did not change a thing. The next thing is to go through all of the settings and turn off things that you do not need or want. Windows 10 tries to be all things to everybody and as a result runs a boat load of stuff in the background all of the time. It all uses resources and slow down your PC.

Left click on Windows start button. click on the gear icon to open settings. Go through System, Devices, Network and Internet, and Personalization. See something you do not use, turn it off, see something you do not want, turn it off, see something your not sure about, leave it alone.

You can also take a look at Task Manager and see what is consuming CPU and Hard Disk usage, you might find something there you can kill to make things run better. Be careful there though.

Railtech, Nov 16, 2016
  7. Toller Win User
    I don't use many of the Windows stuff now.

Looking at Task Manager now, the CPU is 16% and memory is 64%.
    Big users are Edge 260mb and 146mb, and "Windows Modules Installer Worker" at 245mb.

Googling to find out what WMIW was I found:
    Windows modules installer worker - High CPU usage - Win 8.1/ 10

Are either of those worth a shot?

And... the problems started right after a windows cumulative update. Could I uninstall that and see what happens; or is that risky?

Thanks much.

Toller, Nov 16, 2016
  8. Railtech Win User

I believe you have found the culprits. I would recommend first go to this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter

Download and run the troubleshooter and see if it says it fixed Windows Update. If it does see how the machine acts after that. If the problem persists then yes you can uninstall the update, a bit risky but you can evaluate that by doing a search for what that update is and what it addressed to make your decision. You may find something else there that can be corrected.

Railtech, Nov 16, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    I would also look at Power plan advanced settings and see if "Processor Maximum power state" is set to 100%. Hard disk(s) may also be set to go to sleep too early and any response from them could be delayed.

CountMike, Nov 16, 2016
  10. Toller Win User
    I notice the only time my wife's computer failed on 11-17 she was on Nordstom.com. On 11-18 and 11-19 I went to Nordstom.com on my computer and it failed also; the only times those days. Seems like more than a coincidence.
    But it doesn't fail every time, and it never fails on my laptop.

Does this mean anything?

I can't find where maximum power power state is. Should it be set to 100%, or something else?

Toller, Nov 18, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Computers slow slow slow slow down; what do I do? [​IMG]

CountMike, Nov 18, 2016
  12. Toller Win User
    Thanks. Set at 100%

Toller, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computers slow slow slow slow down; what do I do? - Similar Threads - Computers slow slow

2. Slowed down computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slowed down computer: Has anyone had this problem. Since i installed the update KB5031356 my computer as become a to act at a snail pace I have uninstalled the update and will see the response once it it is out.George...
  3. Slowed down computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slowed down computer: Has anyone had this problem. Since i installed the update KB5031356 my computer as become a to act at a snail pace I have uninstalled the update and will see the response once it it is out.George...
  4. Slowed down computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Computer Slowing Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Slowing Down: I have had this computer for about 3 years. 1070ti, 32GB ram, 8th gen i7 8700k, 1.5TB SSD, and 2.5TB HDD. It's not a bad build, but recently I have noticed EXTREME lagging while opening up either VR games or even playing a game for too long. Is there any fix? or do I just...
  6. Computer slowed down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer slowed down: My pc was running very slow for last few days. I did not install new except some updates ( I'm not talking about windows 10 updates ). My antivirus shows no activity of malware's. When I try to turn pc on or off it takes roughly 5 minutes. Things like blender, Photoshop or...
  7. Slow internet and slow computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow internet and slow computer: Hey everyone. My internet and my computer have started being slow recently(especially my internet). I have tried everything but nothing seems to work. What can I do? Thanks. submitted by /u/anihamud444 [link] [comments]...
  8. slow,slow,slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow,slow,slow: Hi,I have a brand new HP laptop with windows 10 , i5 processor & double RAM form my last laptop with windows 7 but I find that it takes easily twice the time to load pages & get into sites,This was to be an upgrade but it's a sorry excuse for my needs. What if anything can...
  9. Computer slows down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slows down: After booting, my computer works just fine. Then, after some time, everything slows down to a crawl. I have not been able to find out what's going on. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-slows-down/8a5643b9-aec4-4b48-aa5d-49e3d8339931
  10. Windows Slow and slow down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Slow and slow down: Whats going on in Win 10. The past 2-3 weeks have seen win 10 go from smooth and fast to slow and slow. This forum took 77-78 seconds to open from clicking on shortcut to screen. I have games staggering all over the place like drunken graphics. On occasion sites do not even...