Windows 10: Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive

Discus and support Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've upgraded to 10 from W7, and I've had nothing but problems with it, so i'm concerned about the installation to a different SSD than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MrNeeds, Oct 10, 2015.

1. MrNeeds Win User

Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive

Hi everyone, I've upgraded to 10 from W7, and I've had nothing but problems with it, so i'm concerned about the installation to a different SSD than the one I'm using, my mind is telling me it should be fine as the Upgrade happened all on the same hardware, but changing the location of installation, does that affect activation?

:)

MrNeeds, Oct 10, 2015

2. Windows Anniversary Update cannot install. Tried a lot, still not solved

None of this helped, unfortunately. We will now try a fresh install (on a different hard drive)

Wouter Pinkhof, Oct 10, 2015
  3. How do I reinstall Windows 10 on a brand new hard drive?

The hard drive in my notebook computer is failing. How do I reinstall Windows 10 after installing the new drive?

I would like a fresh install of Windows 10 with minimal software. I'm not concerned with saving any of my old data or programs.

I just want to get the computer back up and running Windows 10 fresh and new. The notebook still has the product Key on the bottom tag.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The computer currently still runs with the old hard drive. The drive is just really noisy, but it's still running. So I can use this computer do download things. In fact,
    I was trying to use the MediaCreationTool to create a USB Windows Reinstall, but I keep getting the error code
    0x8004205 - 0xa001a after about 4 attempts trying different things I gave up on that. I keep getting the same error every time.

Is there another way to install a fresh copy of Windows 10? Like I say, I'm not concerned with saving any old data or programs. A totally fresh copy of Windows 10 would be just fine.

Thanks.

JamesRoss2, Oct 10, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

I went from a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB to a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB a couple of weeks ago using Macrium to clone, then I extended the C: partition with no negative effects. Hope that helps*Smile

Cliff S, Oct 10, 2015
  5. MrNeeds Win User
    I'm not looking to clone though, it retains all relevant information when cloning, but my concern is the fresh install from the media creation tool and format all drives, do a fresh install and start new.

MrNeeds, Oct 10, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Whether you clone to, or image and restore to, or even clean install to a blank different SSD should make no difference in activation of a fresh/clean install as long as the initial upgrade activated successfully. MS activation server should allow it as the same machine.

That's usually only a concern with a motherboard swap and likely overcome with a phone call to the MS robot.

Word Man, Oct 10, 2015
  7. MrNeeds Win User
    sounds good to me, I'll give it a go and see what happens, hopefully I won't need to go down the automated MS machine then *Smile

MrNeeds, Oct 10, 2015
  8. MrNeeds Win User

all done, worked a treat, it asked me for my product key twice during installation, but skipped both times and windows says it's activated, so no concern was necessary, I'll contribute to your rep points for the help, thanks.

MrNeeds, Oct 10, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    Glad it worked as we all thought it would!

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive - Similar Threads - Concerns fresh install

2. Are small partitions on my drive of any concern when fresh installing windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are small partitions on my drive of any concern when fresh installing windows?: When reinstalling windows 11, my primary drive, 'Drive 1' is divided into three parts - 1.a16mb partition called msr reserved, 2. Unallocated space of 100mb, 3. My 465.5gb 'primary' drive. I'd appreciate information about whether it matters whether these partitions remain...
  3. Are small partitions on my drive of any concern when fresh installing windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are small partitions on my drive of any concern when fresh installing windows?: When reinstalling windows 11, my primary drive, 'Drive 1' is divided into three parts - 1.a16mb partition called msr reserved, 2. Unallocated space of 100mb, 3. My 465.5gb 'primary' drive. I'd appreciate information about whether it matters whether these partitions remain...
  4. Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive: I am performing a fresh install for somebody on a new hard drive. Their last hard drive basically died, but I was able to pull the user file out of it. When I went to put the hard drive into their computer, I was getting a boot device not found error. I brought the hard drive...
  5. Downloading to a different hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading to a different hard drive: I just built a custom pc and it has 3 hard drives in it. One Samsung 970 pro drive, one Samsung 970 evo drive and one Seagate Barracude 2tb drive. The pro drive, or C:, is the default drive. However, I want to save that drive for current video project work. I would like to...
  6. BSOD fresh install on new hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD fresh install on new hard drive: Hi, I have been getting the VERY FUN irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD after doing a fresh install on a brand new SSD. I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing the BSOD. Here are the files: DESKTOP-T065BLG-2018-12-17_131645_32.zip 123637
  7. portable hard drive concern

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...
  8. Fresh install in a different language

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install in a different language: Hello. I've bought an HP laptop with preinstalled Russian version of Windows 10 PRO. I am going to use Media creation tool to make clean install and I would like to use English version of Windows. Can I do that? Will it activate automatically or I can run into some issues...
  9. Office 365 - how to install on a different hard drive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 - how to install on a different hard drive: Okay experts, does anyone have a way of installing office 365 on any drive except drive C, the boot drive? I want to install it on my D drive, which is a mechanical drive, to save space on my C drive, which is an NVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 - 500 GB drive. Thanks 118483
  10. HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP! Multiple hard drives - Fresh install: Fixing a friends older PC. There are two physical hard drives in the computer and I am going to completely format and reinstall Windows10 due to the 1803 failure on that machine (can't get into literally anything now). So, the PC has 2 hard drives but boots from the...