Windows 10: config external display as primary

Discus and support config external display as primary in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Laptop and a combo with LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, When I'm at my desk, I want to use the combo LCD Monitor as primary, and the Laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by longtth, Apr 19, 2016.

1. longtth Win User

config external display as primary

I have a Laptop and a combo with LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse,
    When I'm at my desk, I want to use the combo LCD Monitor as primary, and the Laptop screen as secondary display, but windows only support Laptop screen as primary, LCD as secondary.
    Is there any config in Win 10 can help me do this?
    Thanks!

:)

longtth, Apr 19, 2016
  2. Majishn Win User

Pop Ups on External Displays

I have two external displays. Whenever I move an application to one of the extended displays and the app calls for a pop up, the pop up always appears on the primary display, in may case a Surface Pro 3. For example, if I run Outlook on an external display
    and then double click on a message, the pop up window with the message is on the primary display.

How can I make pop ups initiated on an external display show up on the same extended display.

I'm running Win 10 on a Surface Pro 3.

Majishn, Apr 19, 2016
  3. RDrewD2 Win User
    Making a monitor a primary Display whilst keeping the other one.

That's the same setup I've got right now. It sounds like you just need to reverse the display postions and then set the external as the primary.
    Go to settings / System / Display, and under
    Multiple displays, change that to
    Extend these displays. Then in the monitor configuration box at the top, drag and drop monitor 2 so that it's to the left of monitor 1 and highlighted, then go down and check the box that says
    Make this my primary display, then click
    Apply. Now your external monitor (2) on the left should be your primary display, your laptop screen (1) the right should be your extended display, and your mouse orientation (right to left) should be correct when sliding between the two.

RDrewD2, Apr 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. Just keep in mind, it may revert back to the laptop as main automatically anyway, if you unplug the external monitor with the laptop on. I run dual displays on my laptop, but I leave my laptop screen as main. My laptop screen is 17 inch and my portable screen is only 15 inch. I've never tried to swap them.

alphanumeric, Apr 19, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    So far in my 10 experience, I've found once set, if I plug in an external back after not using it, or have been away from that desk, it holds the settings for it. The caveat is if you have more than one external display that you might be using in different locations ...

RWOne, Apr 19, 2016
  7. longtth Win User
    Thanks alot, i will try it and mark solved after work.

longtth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

config external display as primary

1. config external display as primary - Similar Threads - config external display

2. External Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Display: I am trying to connect my surface go 3 as an external display for my laptop pc. I have followed all the steps and the pc recognizes the tablet as an output device as well. But it still won't connect. Finally, it shows a message saying unable to connect and to retry from the...
  3. External Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Display: I am trying to connect my surface go 3 as an external display for my laptop pc. I have followed all the steps and the pc recognizes the tablet as an output device as well. But it still won't connect. Finally, it shows a message saying unable to connect and to retry from the...
  4. Primary display is not recognizing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary display is not recognizing.: HI, I AM USING HP LAPTOP, I CONNECTED A SECONDARY MONITOR LG BY USING HDMI CABLE , FROM THERE THE SECONDARY MONITORS IS ACT AS AN PRIMARY DISPLAY THE LAPTOP DISPLAY IS NOT DISPLAYING AND ALSO THE WINDOWS NOT RECOGNIZING THE LAPTOP DISPLAY AS PRIMARY DISPALY, IN...
  5. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  6. Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,...

Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,...: Hi all, I'm running a MSI GP73 laptop with Windows 10. It has the following periodic problem: When waking up from sleep, either from being left for a while or by closing the lid, it sometimes wakes up with a black or dead screen. It has definitely woken up but the screen...
  7. Weird problem with primary displays

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird problem with primary displays: Hi, I have 2 Acer 27" 2k 144hz monitors. I use them in extend mode with one in front of me and the other off to the right. I have to set the right display as my primary display because I like to be able to throw my mouse into the bottom right corner and hide my windows when I...
  8. Display config options issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display config options issue: [ATTACH] Does someone know why my display configuration have this weird options now? submitted by /u/Solid1030 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjldbg/display_config_options_issue/
  9. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

in Windows 10 Customization
    No display on monitor when TV set as primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...
  10. TV primary display

in Windows 10 Customization
    TV primary display: Issue: incorrect multiple display setting. Unable reset display setting with a monitor black screen. No sound from TV due to AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In. The monitor goes black because the TV is the primary display When VGA is connected to Syba VGA...