Windows 10: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10

How to: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10

How to Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Windows 10

Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoftand with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when theyre available. (Unless youre on a check for updates.)

After an update is installed, Windows 10 attempts automatic restart outside of deadline of 7 days (by default), the user will see a warning notification that restart is required.

Since users are not able to postpone a deadline has been reached, you can configure a warning reminder (4 hours default) prior to the scheduled restart. You can also configure a warning (15 minutes default) prior to the restart, to notify users once the restart is imminent and allow them to save their work.

This tutorial will show you how to specify when notifications are displayed to warn users about a scheduled restart for a Windows Update installation deadline in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to configure auto-restart warning notifications schedule for updates.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Auto-restart imminent warning notification for updates

Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure auto-restart warning notifications schedule for updates policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. Use Default Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. Specify Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, and perform the actions below:
    • Under Specify the period for auto-restart warning reminder notifications, select 2, 4, 8, 12, or 24 in the Reminder (hours) drop menu for what you want.
    • Under Specify the period for auto-restart imminent warning notifications, select 15, 30, or 60 in the Warning (mins) drop menu for what you want.
    • Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates in Registry Editor
    1. Do step 2 (specify) or step 3 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. Specify Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

*note This downloadable .reg file will add the registry keys and values for you to make it easier to specify what you want starting at step 2D below.
    Add_to_registry_auto-restart_warning_notifications_schedule_for_updates.reg

Download
    B) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

C) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

D) Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

E) Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

F) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the ScheduleRestartWarning DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

G) Select (dot) Decimal, type 2, 4, 8, 12, or 24 for how many hours you want to Specify the period for auto-restart warning reminder notifications, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

H) In the right pane of the WindowsUpdate key, double click/tap on the ScheduleImminentRestartWarning DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2E)

I) Select (dot) Decimal, type 15, 30, or 60 for how many minutes you want to Specify the period for auto-restart imminent warning notifications, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

J) Close Registry Editor, and go to step 4 below.

3. Use Default Auto-restart Warning Notifications Schedule for Updates
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Default_auto-restart_warning_notifications_schedule_for_updates.reg

Download
    B) Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

C) When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

D) Go to step 4 below.
    4. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 23, 2018

2. How to turn off low disk space notification in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/faq-l...on-or-warning-in-windows-7-how-to-disable-etc
    While the link says Windows 7, it works the same in 10. I personally have been using the following;
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
    This utility provides a simple method to change a lot of needless, irritating and annoying things about Windows.
    Cheers and fun! *Rockout :rockout: *Peace Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 :peace:

lexluthermiester, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10 auto restarts

"Between all suggestions, including the one there, there is nothing that has worked." I hate to sound reduntant but I just had to repeat myself since it still applies.
    An additional factore that may have bearing is that at some point my system converted to trying to boot off of my external drive if it is plugged in. Nothing has worked in attempting to resolve that issue either. As I said it may or may not have a bearing on the restart issue.*sarc

bobsscgirl, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Liezl Fal Win User

Restart notification window upon login

You can try to open the Local Group Policy Editor and edit the settings. Kindly try these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Run, and type gpedit.msc.
    • Find the Windows Update settings.
      • Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
    • Edit these 2 settings:
      • No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations:
        Enabled
      • Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations: Enabled, wait period (minutes): 1440
    We're here for your feedback.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Oct 27, 2019
  5. auto trivia restart script?

I know everyone is so busy here so I'm suggesting an auto restart script so trivia is a benefit instead of a burden. Can anyone make this script?

vectoravtech, Oct 27, 2019
  6. (SOLVED/CLOSED)looking for help with Android phone CONSTANT wireless signal notification

Yeah, thats not a solution she is interested in......I've suggested that course of action. Thanks though.

Just to clarify, I feel that there MUST be a step, or series of steps to turn off JUST the wireless notification sound. Thats what Im driving @ here.

jboydgolfer, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Configure Auto-restart Warning Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Configure Auto restart

2. DCOM Configuration warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM Configuration warning: On a server of an Oil&Gas plant with Siemens software installed on i receive this message:The CLSID {12845886-C9C4-11d3-B773-00A0244F8109}, item "C:\PROGRA~1\SIEMENS\WINCC\bin\SfcRt.Exe" and title RedundancySfcNotify Class has the named value AppID, but is not recorded under...
  3. DCOM Configuration warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DCOM Configuration warning: On a server of an Oil&Gas plant with Siemens software installed on i receive this message:The CLSID {12845886-C9C4-11d3-B773-00A0244F8109}, item "C:\PROGRA~1\SIEMENS\WINCC\bin\SfcRt.Exe" and title RedundancySfcNotify Class has the named value AppID, but is not recorded under...
  4. Windows restarts for updates with no warning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows restarts for updates with no warning: I have an older laptop on which I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10. Unlike other computers I have, it gives no warning when it wants to do a Windows 10 update. It just briefly displays a screen saying it needs to restart for an update, then does so. No buttons for...
  5. How can I configure windows 10 to auto restart when updating windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I configure windows 10 to auto restart when updating windows?: Hi guys, I usually control windows update service by enabling or disabling it using Group Policy so I can update the windows as a specific time that I want. However the process of updating windows is a little annoying when I have to watch for it and click restart when it...
  6. Windows Updates auto restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates auto restart: I have a windows 10 machine running windows server 2016 essentials. I have a update that is pending restart outside active hours. I want to deactivate this and only restart when I tell it too. Can you help me with the settings I need to change....
  7. DCOM Configuration Warning

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DCOM Configuration Warning: Hello, I was fixing a DCOM error and while entering the DCOM Config in Component Services I encountered a "DCOM Configuration Warning" asking me if I would like to record an item. I clicked "Yes" without fully reading what it asked me to add. I doubt this will have any...
  8. Windows 10 auto restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 auto restarts: I have tried to stop pc from restarting automatically and following different site suggestions has not worked. Suggestions please. 69204
  9. Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notification for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Reminder Notifications for Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and...
  10. Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10: How to: Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 How to Configure Auto-restart Required Notification for Updates in Windows 10 Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to make windows stop restarting without warning you