Windows 10: configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Discus and support configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network. I need to configure wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by matake, Jun 25, 2016.

1. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

:)

matake, Jun 25, 2016

2. Windows 10, "Obtain IP Automatically" not working

John Davenport2, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Network Sharing - Public Network shares show up over WiFi when Private Ethernet is connected

I'm trying to connect a NAS device to my Windows 10 laptop.

An internet connection is available over the WiFi connection, which is marked public. When I disconnect the ethernet cable, 'Network' shows as empty with the message "Network discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and device are not
    visible. Click to change..." as expected.

Connecting the ethernet cable gives me two networks in 'Network and Sharing Center' as expected. My WiFi network remains connected to the internet, and categorized as a 'Public network'. So far, so good.

The new network is labelled 'Unidentified network', and due to changes using 'secpol.msc', is a 'Private network', allowing me to look for network devices such as the NAS device.

However, going to my 'Network' location, I now find a bunch of devices from the WiFi network (which is still public), but no NAS device.

My questions are:

1) Why are devices from a Public network being shown once I connect a private network on a different adaptor?

2) Why can't I find my NAS device? (This remains a problem if I disconnect the WiFi - then Network is shown as just my laptop)

chrisb2244, Jun 25, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

I would delete your current WiFi profile,
    You can follow this tutorial from TenForums to learn how to do it
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Then I would reconnect to the WiFi but when it asks if I want this computer to be discoverable by other computers I would select NO

sml156, Jun 25, 2016
  5. matake Win User
    Thank's for answering but this not solve mi problem. This make both ( wifi and ethernet public )
    I need wifi public and Ethernet private

There is mi scenario
    On wifi adapter the ip is assigned by dhcp ( 192.168.1.xxx ) mask 255.255.255.0
    select not disoverable when I connect to internet (also I uncheck "file and printer sharing" and disabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP for this adapter )

On Ethernet adapter I set manually the ip to 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.254.0
    there I have checked "file adn printer sharing" also enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP

How to make discoverable only Ethernet adapter ?

In Network settings->WIFI-advanced options have one button "allow your pc to be discoverable .... " on/off
    when turn on WIFI change to private when turn off change to public. ( this is the short way to do your above suggestion )

but for ethernet adapter have not this option.
    So how to make Ethernet discoverable and WIFI NOT discoverable.

(The same scenario i have build on windows XP some years ago and working good )

Also for windows firewall how to put on wifi and off on Ethernet ?

Windows 10 have only two options for the firewall put on/off on public or private network.
    Is for this why I put this title for my question because i need also to put the firewall on to WIFI and off on Ethernet

Thank you

matake, Jun 26, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    I am not sure why you would want to give your Ethernet adapter an IP that is out of your routers subnet, If you really want to do this I would suggest getting another router for your Ethernet connections.

What are your reasons for picking these IP's.

sml156, Jun 26, 2016
  7. matake Win User
    Because I have a shared wifi connection and i don't want to share my files via router but yes over ethernet.

But just now I solved the problem ... in mi configuration I have forgot to put the default gateway so when I was putting the default gateway ( the ip of the first PC on the second PC and the ip of the second PC on the first PC ) ... only after that windows questioning if I want to make this network discoverable. ... so PRIVATE

Sorry for mi english and thanks for your answer

matake, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private - Similar Threads - configure network type

2. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  3. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  4. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  5. Why are the network profile types public and private incorrectly labeled in the Wifi...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are the network profile types public and private incorrectly labeled in the Wifi...: In Settings -> Network and internet -> [Your wifi network]; the labels for 'Public' and 'Private' are muddled.My settings state:"Public Recommended Your device is not discoverable on the network. Use this in most cases - when connected to a network at home, work, or in a...
  6. Why are the network profile types public and private incorrectly labeled in the Wifi...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are the network profile types public and private incorrectly labeled in the Wifi...: In Settings -> Network and internet -> [Your wifi network]; the labels for 'Public' and 'Private' are muddled.My settings state:"Public Recommended Your device is not discoverable on the network. Use this in most cases - when connected to a network at home, work, or in a...
  7. Creating two networks Public/Private with one wifi router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating two networks Public/Private with one wifi router: Hi all. I want to create a wifi network where I can share across all of my private devices. Then, another wifi network that my guests can access for internet only. Do I need two routers for this? Or, are there some good routers out there to do that sort of thing? If you can...
  8. No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection

No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection: Hello, Where is the Public/Private switch has gone for Ethernet connection? I need to switch my ethernet connection from public to private. I have connected two PCs using ethernet cross-over cable Thanks Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.592 [ATTACH]...
  9. Public and private WiFi settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Public and private WiFi settings: It's completely disappeared from the WiFi options in the settings menu. Does anybody know where it's moved to? Every time I update Windows it causes havoc with my WiFi by setting every network to public and I've searched everywhere. submitted by /u/PerryDigital [link]...
  10. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...