Windows 10: Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10?

Discus and support Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Working on several projects at one time, and using primarily laptops with not that great support for virtualization, so I am loathe to install a basic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by johngalt, Feb 8, 2015.

1. johngalt Win User

Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10?

Working on several projects at one time, and using primarily laptops with not that great support for virtualization, so I am loathe to install a basic Win 7 in virt jsut to be able to use hte Win 7 AIK.

In a past tutorial, Kari mentioned that the AIK / ADK used to modify the unattend.xml was relevant to the OS that you were using to make the mods. I (think I) know that there is not (yet) a W10 ADK out (or is there?), so would one be able to install the 8.1 ADK on Win10 and use it to make mods to Win 7 installs?

:)

johngalt, Feb 8, 2015
  2. Linney Win User

Windows AIK for Windows 10

Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10? Solved

Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

When you are talking about "create a recovery bootable disc " are you talking about a Recovery Drive as well as any AIK? Are they two separate things, or one and the same?

See, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery if you want to create a Recovery Drive.

Linney, Feb 8, 2015
  3. wg23333 Win User
    AOMEI onekey recovery AIK/ADK not installed

I recently upgraded my system from windows 7 to windows 10 and I want to create a recovery partition with AOMEI OneKey Recovery. However, this message is prompt out during the process, it says Windows AIK/ADK is not
    installed. I am currently using windows 10, and I want to create a recovery partition for windows 10 (not for windows 7). So, which of the Windows AIK/ADK should I download?
    Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10? [​IMG]

wg23333, Feb 8, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hi John, welcome to Ten Forums *Smile.

ADK for Win 10 was just released, a preview version of it at least:

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

Anyway, you can use any Windows SIM / ADK (starting from WSIM for Windows 7) to create answer file to any version of Windows (7 and later).

Below some relevant information when preparing a Build 9926 image, from the TenForums tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...tml#post168194 (BTW, I used ADK for Windows 8.1 Update for video and screenshots in this tutorial).

Note Build 9926 Known Issues:

Use the Enterprise edition for sysprepping Build 9926, normal Pro edition has a bug and sysprep fails every time (subjective piece of information, based only on my own tests). Free Enterprise download at www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-enterprise-technical-preview?i=1

1.) Build 9926 Pro edition (from Windows Insider) fails the sysprep every time on vm and two thirds of tries on real machine (my subjective, not automatically factual statistics). This seems to be (comical enough!) due Windows Insider app. Checking the error logs there's various errors every time, but always something common: "Package Microsoft.InsiderHub_1.1.0.400_x64 was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users". I tried removing the AppxPackage Microsoft.InsiderHub before sysprepping, did not work. Also trying to install offline, vm not connected to network when installing to avoid installing the Hub in the first place did not help, however logical solution that had been.

2.) Build 9926 Enterprise edition (from TechNet Evaluation Center), sysprep and customizations work every time like a charm as long as you remember to disconnect the computer or vm from the network before starting to install. As soon as you have arrived to desktop in Audit Mode you can reconnect the computer and download ADK and software to be installed. When connected to network while installing, all vm syspreps failed and over half on the real machines. As soon as I tried to install network disconnected, my success rate was 100%.

3.) You cannot create a catalog file (Part 5 Step 5.6 in this tutorial) using the install.wim file in Build 9926. Use Windows 8.1 Update, or Windows 10 Builds 9841, 9860 or 9879 install.wim. When you have saved your answer file, open it with Notepad and edit the highlighted part in below example answer file, everything between the double quotes. In this example it is wim:X:\Sources\install.wim#Windows 10 Enterprise, meaning that the Windows install media and its install.wim file used for Sysprepping (which as told above is not the same we use for catalog) are located on drive X:.
    Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend"> <settings pass="specialize"> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <OEMInformation> <Manufacturer>TenForums</Manufacturer> <Model>TF-PC001</Model> <SupportHours>24/7</SupportHours> <SupportPhone>+1 (202) 456-1111</SupportPhone> <SupportURL>TenForums.com</SupportURL> </OEMInformation> <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> <ComputerName>TF-PC</ComputerName> <OEMName>TenForums</OEMName> <RegisteredOrganization>TenForums.com</RegisteredOrganization> <RegisteredOwner></RegisteredOwner> </component> </settings> <cpiConfigure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10? :eek:fflineImage cpi:source="wim:X:\Sources\install.wim#Windows 10 Enterprise" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /> </unattend>

5. johngalt Win User
    Awesome. I thought I had already replied to you, Kari,but apparently my reply never posted.

I Was under the impression is I was using a particular OS I had to install that OS's AIK / ADK. Are you saying I can install any AIK / ADK <= the current Installed OS version?

johngalt, Feb 12, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    In the video at the moment in tutorial, I prepare Windows 10 Build 9926 Enterprise image with Windows ADK for 8.1 Update, using Windows 8.1 Update install.wim to create the catalog in Windows SIM. When doing this you need to edit the answer file of course before sysprepping, to tell that instead of using the catalog file SIM created for sysprepping, the original Windows 10 install.wim should be used.

I have since attaching the video into the tutorial remade it, this one shows the process of using ADK, SIM and install.wim of another version of Windows even better (IMO *Smile):

[youtube]UWb8hJk-yZg[/youtube]

This video is unlisted because I want to wait the next build, to see if it fixes issues with sysprepping Build 9926. Sysprepping this build of 10 is problematic, for instance the end product has Start Menu, Search and Modern apps disabled. Please read the warning I have added at beginning of the tutorial.

7. Kari Win User
  8. johngalt Win User

That is actually the tutorial I am using, however I built the image itself on a separate laptop.

Also: Didn't realize that WIn10 Does Hyper-V natively. Guess I don't need to install VBox / VMWre, eh? *Smile

johngalt, Feb 13, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
  10. johngalt Win User
    Lol. I had to enable it first as a Windows feature and then it was there.

BTW, this is the same from Vistax64 / seven / eight forums. Thanks for the concise and well detailed tuts that you've been making since 7F.

johngalt, Feb 15, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Good to know you got Hyper-V running.

I assumed you are the same old geek I know from other Windows forums, thanks for the confirmation *Smile. Did you get your Windows 7 image customized and sysprepped?

12. johngalt Win User
    Decided to restart it using an image built in Hyper-V versus the live one I built on an external machine - that was was coded to a 320 GB HD, and I read that CloneZilla (our imaging solution of choice) would not handle moving images to *smaller* drives.

So, I'm starting fresh - since I have a fresh and full WSUS update set, plus I have all the required apps, patches, etc. that I need to install on all future machines, and it takes not very long to do so, I figured a new fresh install on a smaller Virtual disk of, say, 50 GB, would be acceptable.

I did make a CZ backup of the previous image prior to the Sysporep stage anyway, so I can always restore that if this doesn't work.

Next steps after configuration and sysprepping will be to use my Easy2boot USB drive to boot CZ to the VM and pull that VM down as an deployable CZ image. The3n I get to tet on various hardware to make sure I have all the necessary items configured correctly for mass deployment.

This is a lot more hectic when it is not for fun but for actual use lol.

johngalt, Feb 15, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

But it is always interesting! it's amazing how much you can do, customize and tweak in Audit Mode and create an image just for your needs.

14. johngalt Win User
    No doubt, but when I don't have the luxury of having the time to make mistakes in order to learn from them, then it becomes just plain hectic *Smile

Speaking of not having the luxury...how does one go about adding access to a jump drive to the VM? I know I can do it in VMWare and VBox, but I just don't seem to see it in Hyper-V....

johngalt, Feb 16, 2015
  15. Kari Win User
    The easy and fast way:
    Connect to your Hyper-V vm through RDC. I do normally not even open the vm window, I just wait until I see the Hyper-V manager showing that the vm is started and waiting logon (the small image shown in info area at bottom of the Hyper-V Manager):

I use static private IPs so I know the IP of the vm, now I launch Remote Desktop Connection and connect to it. All remote client (virtual host) resources you have chosen to share with remote host (virtual guest) are available.

The quite easy but most definitely not fast way *Wink:
    Hyper-V Manager, create new vhd:

First steps are self explanatory, when you arrive to Configure Disk, select your jump drive and Hyper-V copies its contents to a vhd:

Now you can attach this vhd to any vm in their settings.

Thema:

1. Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10? - Similar Threads - Configure using AIK

2. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  3. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  4. Audio configuration worked fine in Win 7, but not in Win 10 1903

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio configuration worked fine in Win 7, but not in Win 10 1903: Hi! I had a custom audio config that worked fine in Win 7, but I haven't gotten it to work in my current Win 10 Pro 1903 desktop system, and I'd greatly appreciate some help. Here's the key part of the config that's not working: I take the HDMI output from my Fire TV Gen 2...
  5. AIK and ADK lost. How to install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AIK and ADK lost. How to install?: Hello, I only want to create a recovery media, but I don't understand anything about how to do it *cry I have a Windows 7 DVD which includes SP1, I have downloaded The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7 And wrote the ISO file to a DVD Everything OK...
  6. Lost with AIK and ADK Again. How to install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost with AIK and ADK Again. How to install?: Hello, I only want to create a recovery media, but I don't understand anything about how to do it *cry I have a Windows 7 DVD which includes SP1, I have downloaded The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7 And wrote the ISO file to a DVD Everything OK...
  7. Use a Win 7 Theme in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use a Win 7 Theme in Win 10?: When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, my Australian Backgrounds theme came along with me. While fiddling, I selected the current jpg as the background, and now I can't get my Aussie theme back. I have the folder containing all the jpgs and sound settings for the theme. Is...
  8. Win 7 to 10 using MCT

Win 7 to 10 using MCT: I have win 7 Home Premium, if I use the MCT to upgrade at what point will I have to pay for the upgrade? Richard 96087
  9. win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1

win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1: when i try to install win 10 i get win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1 my laptop came install with win 8.1,rtied 3 times to install,same message.thanks for any help,maty 20636
  10. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...