Windows 10: Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI

Discus and support Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I'm thinking of doing a clean install using UEFI. I've only ever had BIOS before and a snap of it is attached. In the section called Boot Device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dortmunder, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI

Hi. I'm thinking of doing a clean install using UEFI. I've only ever had BIOS before and a snap of it is attached. In the section called Boot Device Control, it seems logical that I would set it to 'UEFI only' but perhaps there's a reason to choose 'UEFI and Legacy OPROM' – which would you suggest?

Also, because my Media Creation Tool is on a USB stick, I presume I have to configure the section called Boot from Storage Devices? If so, is it 'UEFI driver first' or the 'dual' option?

Many thanks.

Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI [​IMG]

:)

dortmunder, Apr 17, 2017

2. i have win 10 fall creators update magor problems with BIOS or UEFI.

i have win 10 fall creators update, ever since i installed i cannot enter BIOS or UEFI, My system information says my BIOS mode is UEFI, yet i cannot access eithes Bios or UEFI. My computer tells me it is UEFI ready, any advice would be great

BruceLankin, Apr 17, 2017
  3. System Restore Question in Win 10

Thank you for the fast response. The error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style occurs when your computer is booted in
    UEFI mode, but your hard disk is not configured for UEFI mode.

The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface or UEFI is a modern specification that defines software interface between Windows operating system and, your computer's firmware. The
    UEFI mode is designed to replace Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).

In order to install Windows 10 on your computer, we need to switch firmware modes. We need to boot it from
    UEFI mode to BIOS mode. You can find the steps on how to switch firmware modes in this

article
    . Follow the steps under the section: To boot to UEFI or BIOS. After switching firmware mode, try to install Windows 10 again using the installation media you created.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Apr 17, 2017
  4. Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI

I use an ASUS motherboard as you do, and I was still using BIOS early this month as you are now.
    Nine days ago I clean installed Windows in UEFI mode, and I did not have to change anything in the compatibility support module before installation. I just had to set 'Windows Boot Manager' as the first boot device after installation; otherwise Windows could not be started.

Matthew Wai, Apr 17, 2017
  5. essenbe Win User
    If you will set the BIOS to defaults, Asus bios usually is set, by default, to recognize either Legacy or UEFI.

essenbe, Apr 17, 2017
  6. You don't need MCT but setup files to perform clean installation.

PS I guess the OP doesn't know s/he can simply press F12 to use 'Print Screen' on an ASUS motherboard, as shown below.

Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI [​IMG]

7. Sorry, I meant that my bootable USB drive was made with the MCT.

dortmunder, Apr 17, 2017
  8. Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI

I only had to press F8 to enter the boot menu and select 'UEFI : PNY OU3 3.0'.

9. RPO
    rpo Win User
    Make sure your USB stick is fat32 for UEFI boot.

10. My USB drive was made bootable by DiskPart.

11. cereberus Win User
    Use the media creation tool and usb will be bootable on uefi or legacy bios.

cereberus, Apr 17, 2017
  12. essenbe Win User
    Some suggestions, Disconnect all hard drives except the one you want to install Windows on. When you boot up and see the Asus logo start tapping F8. You have to be quick or it will boot into Windows. You will have 2 entries in the boot menu. If you were using a Sandisk USB drive, you would see Sandisk USB drive and UEFI Sandisk USB drive. If you want to install in UEFI mode, pick the UEFI Sandisk USB. The other one will install in legacy mode. Make sure you have a backup of all of your personal data first. When you get to "Where do you want to install Windows" use the advanced options and delete all Partitions on the drive until is says 'Unallocated'. Then you can click next and the install will begin.

essenbe, Apr 17, 2017
  13. Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI

I only deleted the system reserved and the Windows partitions. The data partition remained there.

14. essenbe Win User
    Ok, you have it done then?

essenbe, Apr 17, 2017
  15. Yes, sure. I did it nine days ago. All files in the data partition remained there after the clean installation in UEFI mode.

Thema:

Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI

1. Configuring BIOS in readiness for a switch to UEFI - Similar Threads - Configuring BIOS readiness

2. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  3. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  4. Bios - uefi system configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios - uefi system configuration: I can't open system configuration after getting into bios management. There seems to be no option of system configuration or of action keys. It only shows system information and option to run some tests.My purpose to get in bios is to disable the Fn key .Please use the...
  5. Bios - uefi system configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios - uefi system configuration: I can't open system configuration after getting into bios management. There seems to be no option of system configuration or of action keys. It only shows system information and option to run some tests.My purpose to get in bios is to disable the Fn key .Please use the...
  6. Bios - uefi system configuration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. BIOS Configuration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS Configuration: Hello,I had asked a question, two days ago, and there has been no reply. Please reply, its frustrating without one, even if its some wild guess, or a method you are unsure of, please.Thank you...
  8. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  9. UEFI BIOS configuration issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BIOS configuration issue: So recently, I have downloaded a .exe file and after both running it and restarting my pc, I lost both keyboard and mouse functionality. This was in UEFI with safe boot on, and when I switched to safe boot off, my pc worked again. I am curious, is there a way to fix the...
  10. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...