Windows 10: Configuring for (near) real time processing (and back)

Discus and support Configuring for (near) real time processing (and back) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Dear friends, I have assembled a modern PC for my son who is a musician for his music production needs, but also as a general purpose PC (we don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rjalex, Oct 5, 2015.

1. rjalex Win User

Configuring for (near) real time processing (and back)

Dear friends,
    I have assembled a modern PC for my son who is a musician for his music production needs, but also as a general purpose PC (we don't have enough space and money to have a dedicated rig).

As you might now music production has a stringent "real time" requirement with the CPU needing to keep a steady flow of processed data into the audio interface buffers with a latency that cannot be greater than 10-20 milliseconds, the lower the better.

While trying to optimise his system I have discovered the obvious Configuring for (near) real time processing (and back) :) : there are drivers, devices, processes, services, settings and applications which would be better turned off when the PC is used for recording music (eg. antivirus, network, graphic effects etc.)

The same things need to be in a different state when the PC is used for general purpose stuff (surfing, office etc.)

Is there a way to automate the most of these things in a simple way so that ideally you'd have two "profiles" and could switch between the two easily ?

Thanks a lot.

:)

rjalex, Oct 5, 2015

2. Network GPS for racing lap time and real time speed

I am looking for a Nokia phone whcih will work in Network GPs (not A-GPS) whcih I can use in Racing lap time recording along with the srealtime speed every where.

Is it possible to get in 5230 or X6 or any nokia phone with GPS connecting to three satellites.

I have seen that it will take 15 min to sync. I will be always on outdoor.

Please suggest me if I can use nokia phome to record my lap times in a race track

avinashrao30, Oct 5, 2015
  3. larkim Win User
    Network GPS for racing lap time and real time speed

Provided you have a good clear view of the sky, any "proper" GPS (NOT network GPS) will work to a degree. However, none will be accurate enough to give you really good lap time info. Accuracy (even with a good consumer dedicated GPS device) will only be
    to 2-3m, and at high speed without a full view of the whole sky the chances are accuracy will be even less than that. So when the GPS records you crossing the start / finish line, it could be 10, 20, 30, 40m wrong.

The only way to get accurate timing data is to use a transponder.

Even runners will tell you that GPS's have a limited degree of accuracy, they'll often have you on the wrong side of the road etc. Whilst they are OK for timing you to the nearest second on a 3 mile run, they'd be useless for timing you to the nearest tenth
    or hundredth of a second over a lap.

Hope this helps!

Matt

larkim, Oct 5, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Welcome to TenForums, rjalex.

I'm by no means an expert but two possibilities come to mind:

1) If you have sufficient disk space, set up a dual boot system - one with the general purpose environment and the other with a stripped down OS environment, perhaps even Linux if it supports the software needed for music production, or

2) A batch file to reconfigure the operating system (as in msconfig) and reboot the system into the configuration needed.

I haven't done a lot of batch files for a few years but I'm guessing either a batch file or script executed from either a command prompt environment or within Windows PowerShell may work for item 2).

I'm not the expert to advise you on all of the specifics but saw no response to you for 4 days and thought at least my response might generate more response for you from other forum members that have more specific knowledge to share with you.

Other than that, you may get more specifics from another internet community that specializes in your situation of dual use with limited resources for music production.

Word Man, Oct 10, 2015
  5. rjalex Win User
    Thanks a lot for trying to help.
    I'm kind of stuck into a void since on the music production sites (kvr, gearslutz etc.) a lot of people are still holding to their 8.1 and even 7 because of the sensitive dependencies they have with their software and drivers so not a lot of experience with Win10 there.

Your dual boot idea might be a simpler option which I'll look into.

Thanks

rjalex, Oct 10, 2015
  6. AveYo Win User
    By design, it's impossible for Windows 10 to get as close to that, as can Windows 7/8.
    Even then, you might find a Linux distribution working better for the task, but sadly lacking in the audio software department.

Things will change once true dx12 hardware hits the market (couple years away).

Edit: there is a "popular" guide / scripts for audio setup under Windows 7/8/8.1 to check out:
    Computer Audio Design Computer setup
    Read the guide, try the shell killer or audio optimization scripts.
    Won't make a great difference, since the problem is at the driver level, but will surely help, as I've got some friends using these for a pub setup.

AveYo, Oct 10, 2015
  7. dskiller Win User
    Hi.

I been reading the responses and decided to add my bit that I learn from other people that do music(DAW) systems.

make sure power options in windows is set to high performance.(this will make sure the system has access to all the cores of the cpu and performance, along with other devices.)

disable advance power-savings setting in bios.
    Enhanced Intel Speed Step (EIST) for intel and AMD cool'n'Quiet for Amd.

disable C-states

those options is make the cpu idle clocks stay at its highest speed and not drop to lower clock speed.
    energy usage difference is minimal.

more info on
    Article Detailshttps://www.steinberg.net/

here is example from my bios, if computer is OEM(dell,HP,ect) it might not have these options.

sorry crappy phone pic.

Configuring for (near) real time processing (and back) [​IMG]

I have disabled on my is
    CPU Enhance Halt
    C3/C6 State Support
    CPU EIST Function

if computer is AMD. then options could be different.

even though it says to disable turbo, you dont have too if your disable all the energery setting in the bios, because the cpu will run at that speed at all time.

again energy usage difference is minimal, because the cpu actually isnt processing until your actually doing something on the system.

dskiller, Oct 11, 2015
  8. rjalex Win User

Great advice. Thank you.

rjalex, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Configuring for (near) real time processing (and back) - Similar Threads - Configuring near real

2. Defender Real Time is off and won't go back on.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Real Time is off and won't go back on.: This widow popped up today that real time protection is off. I did not turn off defender; I wouldn't know how. When I try to turn it on using this button it tells me it can't, The support information is "error number 0x800705b4." I don't know how it got turned off but how do...
  3. Defender Real Time is off and won't go back on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender Real Time is off and won't go back on.: This widow popped up today that real time protection is off. I did not turn off defender; I wouldn't know how. When I try to turn it on using this button it tells me it can't, The support information is "error number 0x800705b4." I don't know how it got turned off but how do...
  4. Defender Real Time is off and won't go back on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Real Time Protection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Real Time Protection: How do I turn it off? it is making it so I cant play one of my games(terraria) as it is blocking the mod I use called TmodLoader, I have exempted terraria.exe from the windows defender and it still wont work I tried using a command in powershell run on administrator yet...
  6. Real time protection

Real time protection: real time protection is disabled although it is on in setting when I put it of and turn it on again, it says it is blocked by group policy. please help[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. How to Switch Real Time Protection Back On?!

How to Switch Real Time Protection Back On?!: Greetings Everybody I Mistakingly Switched of My Real-Time Protection off on my PC, now im Struggling to switch it back on, ive tried to manually switch it back on but its not working. Can Someone help.....
  8. Check for processes set to real time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Check for processes set to real time.: A few days ago my screen randomly went black, so I restarted the PC. Second time it happened the screen went black and then a load of very faint white lines appeared vertically on the screen. Upon restarting the PC after this, I just got a black screen. Thinking this may be...
  9. real time protection

real time protection: could not run the real time protection, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/real-time-protection/bedcb5fd-b40b-4557-92a3-5b9d423d260e
  10. Windows 9: Telemetry data will be near real-time

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9: Telemetry data will be near real-time: Tomorrow, Microsoft will finally crack open the door, officially, to let outsiders in on some of the details about the next version of Windows. Of course, if you have been reading Neowin, you will know that we have already spelled out many of the new features for the...