Windows 10: Confused about backup

Discus and support Confused about backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Fred22, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Fred22 Win User

Confused about backup

Confused about backup [​IMG]

I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders and copied and pasted files. The screenshot you see is what is on my flash drive when I plug it into the USB port. However, when I did the copy, paste routine nothing came up indicating that I was copying (a bar w/how much time each folder, would take to be copied). My question is this: Is what I have on my flash drive a true backup? I can plug in the flash drive, download new files and put them (seemingly) on the drive. This morning when I opened "Backup", there were no options for backup...no files, etc. What should I do at this point. Thanks for your assistance.

:)

Fred22, Oct 9, 2016
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Windows Backup Confusion

Thank you for posting back. We're currently checking for an article or thread that has the same concern that we can use as a workaround. It seems there might be something in the folder that is not allowing the system to backup. We recommend that you perform
    a
    System File checker
    to scan and repair a possible missing or corrupted system files.

If you are asking for a third-party backup, we suggest that you check directly in any blogs or discussion online for best third-party backup utility.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Oct 9, 2016
  3. Confused about expiration?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please be informed that Windows 10 is free for the customers who has activated Windows 7 with Service pack installed on it and for activated Windows 8.1 customer. Since you have a genuine Windows 7 which was activated, You will be able to upgrade
    Technical preview to Windows 10

I suggest you to download media creation tool and install Windows 10 using the tool.

Windows 10 herunterladen

I suggest you to click on Upgrade this PC now option when installing Windows.

How to Download Official Windows 10 ISO files Using Media Creation Tool or Directly Using your Web Browser

I suggest you to refer to the article provided below and check whether your system meets the requirements to install Windows 10.

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 9, 2016
  4. strollin Win User

Confused about backup

The backup in Win 10 doesn't work the way you're thinking it does. It's actually called "File History" and backs up your files automatically, once per hour (you don't have control over which files or when they get backed up, only which drive to use). Having it back up to a removable drive really doesn't make sense.

I would recommend a 3rd party backup program such as the free Macrium Reflect. It is a full fledged backup program that gives you lots of control over what gets backed up and when.

However, for what you were trying to do, move files to an external disk, a simple copy/paste operation would probably be sufficient. I'm curious though, why not connect the external disk to your computer and backup or copy the files directly there?

strollin, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Fred22 Win User
    Sorry, but I'm struggling with Win 10 same as you. Wish I could help.

Fred22, Oct 9, 2016
  6. Fred22 Win User
    I'm using a flash drive because I'm using a laptop while sitting in a recliner. My external HD has a very short cord. Have I now disabled the automatic backup operation. when I got to Backup, there are no longer any options. Actually all I need to do is backup files and pics, so I guess a simple copy/paste would do. Will look in to Macrium Reflect. Thanks.

Fred22, Oct 9, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Actually you do have some control. Under File History's 'more options' you can manually 'Back up now', set the automatic interval anywhere between '10 minutes' and 'Daily', and choose which folders get backed up (or, more accurately, include or exclude specific folders). File History's one advantage is that it works away in the background without you noticing. Then, should you need it, previous versions are a right-click away on the file Properties.

No, it doesn't. I set it to use a drive on my network. If your router has a USB socket then a cheap and cheerful way to make a network accessible drive is to plug a USB hard drive into it.

There's no reason you can't do both - I do. File History plus my own backup programme. You can never have enough backups.

Bree, Oct 9, 2016
  8. Fred22 Win User

Confused about backup

Confused about backup [​IMG]
    I just posted a new thread re this problem. Sorry but forgot about this one. The other thread is "can't turn file history on". I've included the screenshot here that I also posted there, but I've gotten pretty frustrated dealing with this problem...even tried a system restore, but file history still off. Can't seem to turn it on through the control panel or file history.

Fred22, Oct 10, 2016
  9. Fred22 Win User
    File History is fixed and working fine. Do I still need to install the Dell Quickset utility?

Fred22, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Confused about backup

1. Confused about backup - Similar Threads - Confused backup

2. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  3. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  4. Confused with how to add second SSD as backup, AHCI Win 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused with how to add second SSD as backup, AHCI Win 10?: I want to add in a backup SSD in raid 1 or mirroring as backup for my SSD (has win 10 OS on it) with reinstall. I realised I was in IDE and switched to AHCI, but do I need to be in RAID? If I do go into RAID by editing registry and going into safe mode and restart. How do I...
  5. Confused about Backup Strategies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  6. Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing: If you are wondering why there are so many frustrated OneDrive users, it's because of the word "backup" and what people expect that to mean. Traditionally, backup meant that the local copy was the primary version, and the backup copy was stored elsewhere. So if you say...
  7. Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup: I need to backup my computer. It was quite a while ago, but I've used Goodsync in the past and remember it being really good. I just purchased/installed the most recent version. But I am very confused about the difference between "Backup" and "Synchronize", and between "File...
  8. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.: I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file....
  9. Backup confusions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup confusions: I have CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE on my external hard disk do I need to opt for SET UP BACKUP option? Also is it important to create SYSTEM REPAIR DISK, what does it do and can't i create it in same external hard disk? And how to check if system image has been created properly?...
  10. I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I am slightly confused about my backup plan and retention rules: Hello, I am new to this website as Macrium directed me here as being a 'free Macrium support forum' so hello to all once again! *Smile I have Macrium Free version. I create images of my Seagate 2TB internal harddrive onto my Seagate 2TB external harddrive. Hopefully the...