Windows 10: Confused about Imaging

Discus and support Confused about Imaging in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hazel123, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Hazel123 Win User

Confused about Imaging

Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to be named "WindowsImageBackup". Which might explain why I couldn't restore one a few months ago. On the other hand I know I have restored System images before successfully. I rename the folder. Does that mean the image doesn't get renamed and just the folder? And by renaming the folder does that mean a new image will go in a new folder (rather than overwrite). I now have images for 3 different machines at various stages of install/set up and with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 so some kind of workable system to know which is which and to make sure I've got naming right, would be gratefully received. Thanks.

:)

Hazel123, Jun 28, 2016

2. Confused about expiration?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please be informed that Windows 10 is free for the customers who has activated Windows 7 with Service pack installed on it and for activated Windows 8.1 customer. Since you have a genuine Windows 7 which was activated, You will be able to upgrade
    Technical preview to Windows 10

I suggest you to download media creation tool and install Windows 10 using the tool.

Windows 10 herunterladen

I suggest you to click on Upgrade this PC now option when installing Windows.

How to Download Official Windows 10 ISO files Using Media Creation Tool or Directly Using your Web Browser

I suggest you to refer to the article provided below and check whether your system meets the requirements to install Windows 10.

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 28, 2016
  3. confused about upgrade

Is Windows 10 really free and do I have to pay for it after the first year has passed?

Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users. This means, as long you upgrade within the first 12 months (July 29th 2015 to July 29th 2016), you will not have to pay for Windows 10 at all.

Confused about Imaging [​IMG]

Wow, thats cool, but does that mean, I will have to pay for Windows 10 after the first year?

No. Its a promotion to get as many users to upgrade their existing Windows 7 PCs and Windows 8.1 devices to Windows 10.
    Once you upgrade within the first year for free, its yours forever at no additional cost. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    at no additional charge.

Source:
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

I heard Microsoft representatives mention they are moving to a servicing model for Windows 10, does that mean Windows 10 is going to require a subscription?

No, Windows 10 remains a perpetual license, which means, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and use it forever without it expiring or going into any reduced functional mode.

Are you saying there will be no more versions of Windows after Windows 10?

Microsoft is moving Windows to a servicing model with Windows 10. The days of major revisions or what are called big bang releases are no more. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device
    – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service
    – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking "What version are you on?" will cease to make sense
    – which is great news for our Windows developers.

Source: The next generation of Windows: Windows 10 - Windows Experience Blog

Why is Windows 10 free, is there some catch?

No, its not a catch. We are computing in different times. Windows 10 is free so app developers can standardize on one platform and reduce the fragmented market of different versions and editions of Windows that have been an issue in the past. When everybody
    is on the same platform, it means better quality apps, a healthier ecosystem and more advances in hardware and software innovation.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 28, 2016
  4. Phone Man Win User

Confused about Imaging

I don't use the built in image system because of the naming limitations you mentioned.

For years I have used Macrium Reflex Free and it lets me name the image what I want and can put them anywhere on my disks.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

I have three systems and have a Backup folder and under that a folder for each system. Here is how images are named for my main system. I also copy the Backup folder to 2 external drives. I can rename these at any time and still restore them as long as the extension .mrimg is not changed.

Hope this helps.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jun 28, 2016
  5. Hazel123 Win User
    Thanks! I had heard that Macrium was popular. As I have some Windows images already, can I just rename the one I want to restore back to WindowsImageBackup? And if I have just renamed the folders and not the contents, does that matter?

Hazel123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Confused about Imaging

1. Confused about Imaging - Similar Threads - Confused Imaging

2. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused: Using my PC has become nearly impossible without first dealing with the issue of space required for OneDrive. This isn't a rant. I seriously need to learn how to continue to use the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system to manage my daily activities as I've done for many...
  3. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused: Using my PC has become nearly impossible without first dealing with the issue of space required for OneDrive. This isn't a rant. I seriously need to learn how to continue to use the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system to manage my daily activities as I've done for many...
  4. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MSERT scan results confusing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSERT scan results confusing: While running the MSERT software, which took a little over an hour to complete a full scan, it indicated that 2 files were "infected." However, when the scan completed, it stated that the scan was completed successfully, and that no viruses, spyware, or other unwanted...
  6. MSERT scan results confusing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSERT scan results confusing: While running the MSERT software, which took a little over an hour to complete a full scan, it indicated that 2 files were "infected." However, when the scan completed, it stated that the scan was completed successfully, and that no viruses, spyware, or other unwanted...
  7. hi i am so confuse about window image paging file size i have seen my videos i am soo...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hi i am so confuse about window image paging file size i have seen my videos i am soo...: hi i am so confuse about window image paging file size i have seen my videos i am soo confuse can please anyone suggest me is this correct value i have set???...
  8. hi i am so confuse about window image paging file size i have seen my videos i am soo...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hi i am so confuse about window image paging file size i have seen my videos i am soo...: hi i am so confuse about window image paging file size i have seen my videos i am soo confuse can please anyone suggest me is this correct value i have set???...
  9. Transferring images from Win 10 PC to external hard drive. Confused about actual file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring images from Win 10 PC to external hard drive. Confused about actual file...: I'm a photographer. I want to transfer my image files and video files from my IdeaPad to a new external 1TB hard drive. I understand, i think, how to copy the Pictures folder to the new ext drive. But what about images that I have in folders that are not nested under...
  10. Windows Image Acquistion Has Me Confused...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Image Acquistion Has Me Confused...: I've searched MS and here for information on WIA, and I (think or not) I understand what it's purpose is, but I'm perplexed as to what it is doing all the time. Task Manager shows it constantly using the C drive even when the system is idle. It's not consuming large amounts...