Windows 10: Confused - am I booting in UEFI properly - msinfo32 shows I am but..?

Discus and support Confused - am I booting in UEFI properly - msinfo32 shows I am but..? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have installed Windows 10 pro on my self built PC using an Asus Z170-A motherboard. I used a USB in UEFI mode made using the Windows media creation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Philip1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Philip1 Win User

Confused - am I booting in UEFI properly - msinfo32 shows I am but..?

I have installed Windows 10 pro on my self built PC using an Asus Z170-A motherboard. I used a USB in UEFI mode made using the Windows media creation tool. Motherboard BIOS updated.

I have these drives:

N1-Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256G has GPT partitions
    P5: WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0
    P6: ASUS BW-161HT

Sometimes they show up in the boot order in the UEFI bios other times not depending whether I have CSM or Secure Boot set. Whatever shows it boots OK as long as Windows Boot Manager is there.

Sometimes just "Windows Boot Manager" shows. Once I saw Windows Boot Manager (N1-Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256G)

I never have seen the drives as:
    UEFI: N1-Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256G (has GPT partitions OK)
    UEFI: P5: WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0
    UEFI: P6: ASUS BW-161HT
    Should I see these? What should I see?

What settings should I have for CSM and Secure Boot?

Any help much appreciated.

Philip

:)

Philip1, Feb 2, 2016

2. Impact of checking only one partnership computer for syncing in WMDC

I've never used a forum before so not sure if this is proper way to add my issue but facing the same question. Can I sync with ActiveSync on my XP
    and with WMDC on my Vista based system? So far my newer Vista system won't accept my calendar so I am having to log in to older computer to make sure my phone is backed up somewhere. I'm trying ideas posted on other threads
    to solve the calendar sync issue but haven't had any success.

Thanks

I am confused, Feb 2, 2016
  3. I-am-I Win User
    Trouble with loginname in Windows Mail App

I'm sorry, but this can't be the sense of the app.

I can't change my login name to my email address, because it's set by another company I am working for. So in this case the app is totally senseless and useless, is this right?

Are there plans to change it back so that I can type in another login name?

I-am-I, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Confused - am I booting in UEFI properly - msinfo32 shows I am but..?

The only time I see UEFI in front of a boot option is when I'm trying to boot from my install media. My boot entry for Windows 10 just shows Windows Boot Manager (Crucial_Ct.......

alphanumeric, Feb 2, 2016
  5. Philip1 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. So Ok I shouldn't worry about no UEFI prefix.
    How do you have the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) and Secure Boot set in UEFI Bios?

Philip

Philip1, Feb 3, 2016
  6. CSM is off and Secure Boot is on. They were the defaults when I got my laptop. As far as I know CSM only needs to be enabled if you have added a device that has firmware that does not support UEFI. I've turned it on, and didn't notice any difference at all. Then turned it back off and left it that way.

alphanumeric, Feb 3, 2016
  7. If you installed in UEFI mode, you should see an EFI partition in disk management. My laptop has it and my desktop PC doesn't. My desktop PC only has legacy BIOS.

8. Philip1 Win User

Thanks Alphanumeric,

Just tried CSM off and Secure Boot on. The ONLY "Drive" I can then see to select, anywhere, in the UEFI Bios is "Windows Boot Manager"
    Right clicking in Disk Managment in W10 confirms the C drive Samsung SM950 Pro is GPT formatted not MBR so again confirms boot is in UEFI.

It is just the absence of drives in Bios that concerns me. Everyone else seems to have them no problem. Am I missing a trick?

Philip1, Feb 3, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, yesterday dealt with a similar thing, wanting to give boot priority to my DVD-RW drive in UEFI as I had in BIOS in prevous laptops. (UEFI and BIOS are two different things- UEFI is UEFI and BIOS is BIOS).

But no DVD drive in sight. (It worked in Windows).

It turned out in my UEFI - Aptio American Megatrends if I recall- that I had to hit F7 on restart to select a different drive to boot from - and that was a transient change. I.e. I couldn't change the default SSD boot permanently. Further, the text shown was very unclear- the DVD-RW drive was represented by a string including DVDRAM. Even the tech guy was confused.

So you may wish to explore how your particular incarnation of UEFI works.. I don't know if there's a standard for this.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2016
  10. All my current PC's have a quick boot BIOS option. On my ASUS desktop motherboards it's F8, on my ASUS laptop its the Esc key. Pressing that key on boot up gets me a onetime boot device option. It will then list all the bootable devices it can find. If I have a bootable thumb drive plugged in it will be in the list. If it's UEFI capable it will have a UEFI in front of its description. I can then select it and boot to it that one time. On the next reboot it will default back to what ever was set in the BIOS originally. If I enter the full BIOS setup menu the options are different. Even the boot devices menu is different. In that menu there is no UEFI in front of a device entry. Any changes here are permanent until you go back in and change them again.

11. Philip1 Win User
    What I can't understand is that with CSM off and Secure Boot on there are "NO" device entries in UEFI boot list other than "Windows Boot Manager"! They are in the Sata Information list but not in the Boot list area. See attachments:

Confused - am I booting in UEFI properly - msinfo32 shows I am but..? [​IMG]

Philip1, Feb 3, 2016
  12. That's normal, as far as I know. That's all I see on my laptop, Windows Boot manager. With no other bootable devices plugged in. My second SSD isn't bootable and won't show up in that list. If I plug my bootable thumb drive in its listed though. It shows up as boot option 2.

13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

That's to be expected. Imagine the following situation : two HDs each containing a Window 10 install for example and their respective SATA ports enabled.
    These two should show in the bootable device list in bios with csm off and secure boot enabled.

CSM is a computability mode that allows you to boot from older non UEFI compliant hardware, MBR disks and so forth.
    Note also that in order to run CSM, secure boot needs to be disabled. Most BOIS/UEFI require you to turn off Secure Boot first in order to access CSM mode.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 4, 2016
  14. Philip1 Win User
    Ok, so only Bootable drives will be allowed in the Boot list. I suppose my N1-Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256G drive, with W10 on it, isn't on it's own bootable but is through Windows Boot Manager. The SSD doesn't show in the Sata list either as it uses the M2 slot in the motherboard. I tried my W10 install USB again and indeed it can come up as UEFI: bootable. Where do you get to learn this stuff other than here?
    Thanks guys for your comments.

Philip1, Feb 4, 2016
  15. Steve C Win User
    I have CSM off, UEFI boot always and secure boot set on both of my PCs. I only ever see the Windows Boot Manager unless I select boot override and insert a UEFI bootable USB flash drive or DVD. I then see the UEFI prefix for these devices and can boot from them.

Steve C, Feb 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Confused - am I booting in UEFI properly - msinfo32 shows I am but..? - Similar Threads - Confused booting UEFI

2. I am confused... help me decide

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am confused... help me decide: I have 2 laptops. One is a very new laptop which belongs to my family members but I can use it too, and the other is a 7 year old low end laptop which belongs to me, For my new laptop, everything is going fine. But for my old laptop, I am currently just switching through a...
  3. I am confused... help me decide

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am confused... help me decide: I have 2 laptops. One is a very new laptop which belongs to my family members but I can use it too, and the other is a 7 year old low end laptop which belongs to me, For my new laptop, everything is going fine. But for my old laptop, I am currently just switching through a...
  4. I am not understanding the uefi order

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am not understanding the uefi order: I have plugged in new SSD and removed old hdd and made a bootable pendrive usb Now I want my usb drive at first preference and I don't know whether my laptop is identifying the SSD or not. I want to install the windows in SSD what should I do...
  5. I am confused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am confused: Hello, my name is joseph Im 18 I am calling on the community for some help. So this may seen weird that im 18 and i play roblox and use discord and stuff. So my dad blocks roblox and discord off of my computer. I have tried to go through regedit and cmd prompt and files also...
  6. I am really confused

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I am really confused: So my pc started doing weird things the last 3-4 days. The monitor started going black and turning back on again and it started flickering and I needed to restart my pc in order for it to fix. I turned off and on my monitor to see if that's the problem but it wouldn't change...
  7. I am confused and Scared for my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am confused and Scared for my PC: I was downloading a game on Steam “VR Chat.” I then heard and an audio about a coma? I then got scared and shutdown my PC. Then I turned It back on I tried logging In, and went Into a temporary profile. I signed out put In my Pin, then It just says Welcome. PLEASE TELL ME...
  8. I am planing to reset my laptop and I am confused on this option:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am planing to reset my laptop and I am confused on this option:: - Just remove my files - Fully clean the drive My question is: If I select fully clean the drive option will I lose the drivers. Here is an image:[ATTACH] More info: Laptop: HP 255 G7 OS: Windows 10 Pro, Activated Processor: AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5; 5 COMPUTE CORES...
  9. I am so confused!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am so confused!: Okay so I just recently got the Dell Inspiron 13 5000 for Christmas. It is using Windows 10 and everything is up to date. I only got it 5 days ago. I really like it but whenever I am using a web browser I think it only happens when I'm on youtube the video will start to...
  10. I am Confused

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am Confused: I just bought Java edition and I thought it would be like what what I see on YouTube but it's not, it's just like Pocket edition! I thought it would be different. Specifically mobs, like the fox is not in PE but I've seen that on Pc it's there! Please explain....