Windows 10: Confused on how to schedule Windows updates

Discus and support Confused on how to schedule Windows updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Windows Update set to "Notify to schedule restart" but where am I really expecting those notifications? Will they pop-up from the right side of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kevindd992002, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Confused on how to schedule Windows updates

I have Windows Update set to "Notify to schedule restart" but where am I really expecting those notifications? Will they pop-up from the right side of the screen as what other prompts do?

Also, when my machine needs a restart I have mine set to the "We''ll schedule a restart during a time you usually don't use your device". Effectively, that's exactly the same as the "Automatic" setting under the Advanced Options, right?

:)

kevindd992002, Aug 12, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Bobapingu Win User
    Why are there two backup schedules on Windows 10?

Windows 10 appears to have two areas where backup schedules can be established allowing one to have two schedules - confusing! One is found under UPDATE & SECURITY>Backup where the default is to backup every hour and to keep then forever. The other is
    found in the Windows 7 section where one can establish a completely different schedule. What gives? I'm sure the answer is simple so why not clarify it instead of having us bumbling around?

Bobapingu, Aug 12, 2015
  4. dimsais8 Win User

Confused on how to schedule Windows updates

From my experience, the "notification" only appears in that app. My laptop has switched itself on at 2:30am several times because a download has occurred without my being advised of the fact. Unless I check that app before I switch off at night, I have no way of postponing a restart. Absolutely infuriating.

dimsais8, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Yeah, that definitely sucks! In my case, I'm using my Windows 10 machine as a host for test VM's and you can imagine that it's always not good for the system to just automatically reboot itself when idle!

kevindd992002, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Confused on how to schedule Windows updates

1. Confused on how to schedule Windows updates - Similar Threads - Confused schedule updates

2. Confusing approach to windows updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Confusing approach to windows updates?: This is both a complaint about, and request for how to fix/recognise, an issue involving confusing update messaging by Microsoft. I'm using windows 10-2004 on a desktop. Migrated from windows 7 4 months ago. Recently there were media advisories about an out-of-band...
  3. Scheduling Windows updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduling Windows updates: Hi Everyone, New here so feel free to help me get to the right place if I'm in the wrong place now. I need to schedule downloads to the hours between 2AM EST to 7AM EST as my internet provider is Hughesnet and as such am limited as to bandwidth during working hours. Can...
  4. Windows Update confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update confusion: In Windows Update, a scan reports that "It looks like all available updates are installed and your PC is up to date" including 2019-07 Cumulative Update KB4505903. Yet Windows Update also indicates that KB4505903 is available and has links to "download and install now". How...
  5. How to schedule Windows Update download times

How to schedule Windows Update download times: Hi guys, Due to where I live I have a broadband satellite internet connection which still have a peak and off-peak download quota. My issue is MS Windows Update downloads keep blowing out my peak download quota as the peak time is 7am to 2am. I would like to know if I can...
  6. How to schedule windows update download time?

How to schedule windows update download time?: Windows updates are chewing my data, i want to schedule them to download at night during off-peak period Windows 7 could do this why did it get removed in Windows 10?...
  7. Windows password update confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows password update confusion: I am running Windows 10 on an HP laptop. I admit I am old and slow, but I have been deeply involved with PC's since 1983 so I am not a neophyte. However, the insistent requirement to change Windows passwords has me confused. It seems as though there are multiple Windows...
  8. Windows 10 update confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update confusion: I'm not tech savvy at all, so I don't know why the Windows updates won't work on my computer. Each time I try to install the updates, a message comes up on the screen saying that doing the update may cause some of my audio and video files to not work correctly. Is it...
  9. Update confusion

Update confusion: I have update KB4034674 (Build 15063.540) successfully install on 8/8/2017. Then on 8/13/2017 KB4032188 (Build 15063.502) failed to install 6 times. Since KB4032188 is an earlier build I assume that's why it failed. However, why would it even try to install at all since it's...
  10. Updates confusion

Updates confusion: In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings, Windows Update, which shows .. Updates are available • 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based...