Windows 10: Confused - Want to set up storage space - All look like 1 drive

Discus and support Confused - Want to set up storage space - All look like 1 drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; An answer to this question may clear up my confusion: Can the C: drive be part of a pool, having all drives (including the c: drive) look like 1 drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 56Kruiser, Jan 14, 2016.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Confused - Want to set up storage space - All look like 1 drive

An answer to this question may clear up my confusion: Can the C: drive be part of a pool, having all drives (including the c: drive) look like 1 drive? If so, how do I do that? I created a storage space, but it made me set it up as drive D:, and I see no way to combine it with C:.

Next: I want to have the C:/boot drive be part of the redundancy equation. I plan to use Parity. I can see where it would be if all drives looked like 1, but I don't see how it would be if not part of the pool.

Any fog removal is appreciated.

:)

56Kruiser, Jan 14, 2016
  2. ntsarb Win User

Storage Spaces in Windows 10 - weird config

Hi,

I'm trying to set up RAID 10 with 4 HDDs, 3 of which are 3TB, and a 4TB one. I used Storage Spaces to create a mirrored storage space. I was asked to select the drives. Once the storage space was set up, it appeared in the list of Disks in Disk Management
    and the two drives that were used for that were automatically removed. That's as expected. Then, I created a second mirrored storage space. Windows did not ask for selection of drives this time and, while I would expect it to use the other two empty drives,
    Disk Management reports that the second storage space has been created, while the two drives that were supposed to be used have not been removed, they still appear as Unallocated. I proceeded to create a Stripped Volume in Disk Management, using the Disks
    that were created by Storage Spaces. No errors. The total size of the new volume is correct. Then, I created another Stripped volume with the two remaining Unallocated Drives. Looks like it's working too, but I think something is very wrong.

It doesn't make sense to me. Please look at attached screenshot below. The four drives I've used to set up RAID10 as described above have model numbers starting with "WD" and ending with "N0". The Samsung SSD is assigned to Drive C: and the "WDC" ending with
    "A0" is assigned drive letter D: (Label: "SOFTWARE"). The list of "Physical drives" in the Storage Pool indicates that Storage Spaces doesn't use the four drives.

Looks like a bug to me but please do let me know if I've done something wrong.

Thanks and regards

ntsarb, Jan 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Storage Space DISAPPEARED??

I had a D: drive storage space set up using 3 drives and after the latest update and reboot... the storage space DISAPPEARED. All three drives are still there and fine... how do I get the storage space back??

Help?

...T.

T0dd 3dwards, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Confused - Want to set up storage space - All look like 1 drive

It sounds like you want to use RAID1. Does your motherboard support RAID options?

DeaconFrost, Jan 14, 2016
  5. 56Kruiser Win User
    I'm honestly not sure.

I was trying to set up via storage spaces. I hadn't read about mother board requirements to do that. I'll have to do some research.

56Kruiser, Jan 14, 2016
  6. I'm not sure if it is a requirement for Storage Spaces or not. RAID1 is also known as mirroring. That's where you have two 500 GB drives, as an example. Once you configure the RAID1 array in your BIOS, Windows will only see a single 500 GB drive, but that drive is being copied and synced on the fly with the second one. So, if one drive fails, you can still boot up as if nothing happened. If you delete a document, for example, it is gone from both drives, but the golden rule to remember is RAID is not a backup. It is designed to eliminate the loss of data due to a hard drive failure.

DeaconFrost, Jan 14, 2016
  7. 56Kruiser Win User
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. Actually, now that I have time to think about it, what I'm trying to do is Raid 5...parity. But...I want to include the boot disk in that setup.

As I noted, I am able to create a separate drive pool with the 4 other drives in teh system as a D: drive, but the C: boot drive remains outside of that, which leaves a single disk point of failure.

So the question is how can I set up a Raid 5 system with all 5 drives in the system contained withing the Raid 5 system.

56Kruiser, Jan 14, 2016
  8. 56Kruiser Win User

I have determined that my MB does support raid.

But browsing around a bit, it seems that maybe I need to change the drives to dynamic disks.

56Kruiser, Jan 15, 2016
  9. I believe that is correct, but I don't think you can add a drive to an array that has data on it you want to keep. If you want the boot drive included, you'll be doing a clean install.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Confused - Want to set up storage space - All look like 1 drive - Similar Threads - Confused set storage

2. Drives set up with storage spaces not recognized after rebuilding SSD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drives set up with storage spaces not recognized after rebuilding SSD.: Hi My power supply failed breaking my 1TB boot SSD connected up new PSupply and found SSD would no longer boot. Long set of efforts to recover later assisted by posts answered by people like Greg Carmack...
  3. Storage Spaces Confusion

Storage Spaces Confusion: I have this storage spaces pool consisting of three identical 8TB Seagate hdds. [ATTACH] Here is the pool in file manager circled in blue. Beside it is another hdd that's not part of the pool and it's circled in red. [ATTACH] I want to keep the 24TB pool but I need...
  4. Storage Spaces Confusion

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage Spaces Confusion: I have this storage spaces pool consisting of three identical 8TB Seagate hdds. [ATTACH] Here is the pool in file manager circled in blue. Beside it is another hdd that's not part of the pool and it's circled in red. [ATTACH] I want to keep the 24TB pool but I need...
  5. Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using "Storage spaces", added new drive and it's like it vanished?: Today I got a new 2TB hard drive. I'm using it with the intention of backing up my storage (video games) drive (D:). I install the drive into my computer. I boot up to add this new drive to my already existing storage pool. Click on "Add drives", choose the new drive that was...
  6. Storage Settings Displaying Inflated C Drive Space...

Storage Settings Displaying Inflated C Drive Space...: Hi, I recently performed a clean install on my computer, and promptly after finishing an offline from Internet connection that is setup of driver installations, the space for my C drive is horribly inflated. To this day, roughly a month later without updates, my C drive...
  7. Windows Storage Spaces not showing all available drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Storage Spaces not showing all available drives: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/xc4ugtux3yy41.png?width=690&format=png&auto=webp&s=a6f01746401bdf05f5c7b70b10b1996b15ba4f7e https://preview.redd.it/v57b6xux3yy41.png?width=2227&format=png&auto=webp&s=33d1155491b2c9078e4203c5483018018b516c99 I just did a fresh Windows...
  8. Storage confusion

Storage confusion: So my Windows C: drive says that 177 gb of the 212 gb is used up for Apps and Features yet when I open that section to see what is taking up all that space, all the apps combined do not equal 177 gb. Any advice?...
  9. Drives set up with storage spaces not recognized after restart.

Drives set up with storage spaces not recognized after restart.: After a restart the computer hung for several minutes during startup, so I held the power button and then it loaded fine. After signing in I noticed that my D drive was missing, then I looked at the disk management utility where it asked me to initialize the disk then it...
  10. Are nested storage spaces possible? (Like RAID 0+1)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are nested storage spaces possible? (Like RAID 0+1): I recently had a 3TB hard drive fail on me, and I am trying to come up with a much better solution for storing my data so that I don't have to recover everything from CrashPlan again. My plan is to have two 3TB Hard drives connected in RAID 0 (Simple Space) so that I have 6TB...