Windows 10: Confusing partitions on HDD

Discus and support Confusing partitions on HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cytherian, Jul 19, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Confusing partitions on HDD

I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer B). Despite all the problems I faced with A (many failed updates, issues getting off , I did get it to the point where it was running fine and Well, as part of doing a series of backups to preserve data, I noticed that there are striking partition differences between these two machines, both running version 1803.

Computer A has 3 partitions -- WINRE (OEM), (*) (EFI System Partition), C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).
    Computer B has 6 partitions -- WINRE, (*), EFI, (*), C:, I: (?), J*Sad?), D*Sadrestore)

On A:, the restore partition was removed because it originally contained Windows 8.1. Still, I don't understand why there are 2 additional partitions and what they could possibly be used for.

I'm going to install a new SSD for Computer B. Can I just take the first 3 partitions and discard the rest?

:)

cytherian, Jul 19, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 19, 2018
  3. WojtasRed Win User
    Partition application

Could you suggest me a nice software to manage partitions on my HDD?

I`m using Win7 64bit.

WojtasRed, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Confusing partitions on HDD - Similar Threads - Confusing partitions HDD

2. Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows: I have a laptop with SSD and HDD in it. My drivers look like this[ATTACH] how Can i know weather windows is installed in SSD or HDD ? I am also using Intel Optane Memory which looks like this [ATTACH] As you can see i have one SSD and one HDD how can know where is...
  3. Lost Partitions on HDD with HDD regenerator

Lost Partitions on HDD with HDD regenerator: I am using a 2TB seagate Internal HDD DriveI used (HDD regenerator 2011) in boot media mode, and when i started the 'scan and repair' function , It worked fine for 6-7 hours, and repaired 13,301 bad sectors then out of sudden it stopped at "Device not ready", now my HDD was...
  4. HDD & Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD & Partition: Hello, I have two internal HDD on my PC. So can I combine two HDD to one partition ? Can I know Pros and Cons of combining like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-partition/10ea9c37-41dd-47cd-ac5e-2541c2ebb4ed
  5. HDD partition mess

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD partition mess: Hi, my son has tried to clone his hdd hdd after installing an additional hdd. Now its ill a mess and needs help to clean it up. [IMG] The pc also asks which volume of windows to use on start up. Please be delicate with me as im a complete novice. Any advice will be...
  6. Windows 10 Partition Confusion

Windows 10 Partition Confusion: Hi all. Recently I installed a new SSD, onto which I cloned my Windows 10 OS and files as it was on the original HDD that came with my laptop. As far as I can observe, the cloning process worked properly, as I write this from the Windows booted off the new SSD. However when...
  7. Windows 10 Partition Confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Partition Confusion: Hi all. Recently I installed a new SSD, onto which I cloned my Windows 10 OS and files as it was on the original HDD that came with my laptop. As far as I can observe, the cloning process worked properly, as I write this from the Windows booted off the new SSD. However when...
  8. Confusing partitions on HDD

Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  9. Confused with booting operations (HDD+SSD)

Confused with booting operations (HDD+SSD): So tech people.I am confused.You see first of all in most settings in my UEFI my SSD is recognized except one in Storeage Configuration if I remember correctly.Anywho ive done some settings here and there and when i boot it asks me if i want it to be from HDD or SSD. I Boot...
  10. Confused about clean install partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confused about clean install partitions: Hi all, The Clean install tutorial for USB UEFI booting mentions that 4 partitions are installed. Quoted below: The 4 partitions are these below. It is critical that these 4 partitions remain in the exact order as they are •Paritition 1 - Recovery •Partition 2 -...