Windows 10: Confusion about turning on Windows Defender to do a scan

Discus and support Confusion about turning on Windows Defender to do a scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm presently using (running) Avast Pro and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit-Free, with weekly running of CCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and AdwCleaner.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by flycaster, Jan 14, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Confusion about turning on Windows Defender to do a scan

I'm presently using (running) Avast Pro and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit-Free, with weekly running of CCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and AdwCleaner. I do a lot of browsing and haven't had any problems with this approach. However, I got the hankering to also keep Windows Defender up-to-date and to occasionally run its scan just to see see if anything comes up. So, I go to WD with the expectation that it is turned off and find that it may not be. I would go to update&security>windows defender and find, to my surprise, that real-time protection and cloud based protection are turned on, but grayed out. Furthermore, when scrolling to the bottom of the screen and clicking Open Windows Defender, I get the message that "WD is turned off and not monitoring the computer." I then went to Brink's WD tutorial (Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums), but I am confused as to how to proceed as I don't know which option to use, or even if this is the right approach???

:)

flycaster, Jan 14, 2016
  2. Smorboll Win User

How do I stop Windows Defender running unwanted scan?

The process "Antimalware Service Executable" is a part of Windows Defender. Windows Defender is set up to protect you, but if your computer is running too slowly causing it to be annoying, you can go into your Settings and click on Security. Then, choose
    when to let Defender do a scan, or if it even does a scan at all. (You can turn off automatic scans.) You could also turn off Windows Defender altogether. If you turn off Defender, it will tell you that your computer is not protected, but you shouldn't have
    to worry about the high amount of CPU usage. Just turn it back on when you aren't using your computer to let it do a scan, and/or manually start a scan.

Smorboll, Jan 14, 2016
  3. Windows Defender - Windows 10

You do not need to run a scan on startup. Real-Time Protection (RTM) continuously monitors your computer and scans everything you download or run on your PC.

Actually, you do not even have to think about Windows Defender at all. It will only pop up to inform you when it finds malware or when some action is required from you.

In addition, you do not need to worry about updating Windows Defender. Updates will be automatically arrived and installed without requiring system reboot.

However, you can use Windows Defender anytime to scan for malware if your computer is not working properly or if you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message.

If you still insist to start a scan when you turn on your computer, follow the following simple steps to setup a Windows Scheduled for this purpose.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender

The following article link describes the same process (How to Schedule Scans in Windows Defender) in more details and with screen shots in Windows 8 and it is similar in Windows 10.

How to schedule a Scan in Windows Defender in Windows 10

Semian M. S. Kanimarani, Jan 14, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

...........but I am confused as to how to proceed as I don't know which option to use, or even if this is the right approach??? .............

If you have Windows 10 Pro, use Option One.
    For Windows 10 Home, use Option Two.

davidhk, Jan 14, 2016
  5. flycaster Win User
    OK, as I have Windows 10 Home, it will be Option 2 for me. But before I proceed, some more clarification questions. Using this procedure will turn on WD and allow me to run a update and scan and then allow me to turn WD off -- Yes/No? And, when I do run WD, should I turn off my other anti-virus apps? Thanks for your help.

flycaster, Jan 14, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    RE :Using this procedure will turn on WD and allow me to run a update and scan and then allow me to turn WD off -- Yes/No?

Yes. Use the tutorial to turn WD On or Off.

RE : And, when I do run WD, should I turn off my other anti-virus apps?
    No. Just run the WD scan and then turn it off afterwards.
    P.S. Avast is supposed to turn off WD anyway.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Confusion about turning on Windows Defender to do a scan - Similar Threads - Confusion turning Defender

2. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  3. Confused about Explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused about Explorer.exe: When I open Task manger and switch to system Process I saw explorer.exe. What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confused-about-explorerexe/ca36a691-3b45-4935-9033-bc50482b3ccf
  4. Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.: Hello, I use Bitdefender AV, and since a couple of weeks, the system sometimes shows the Windows Defender Scan notification on startup. I disable it, but it keeps turining on.I said since a couple of weeks, because I suspect some Windows Update changed/screwed something. I...
  5. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  6. confusion about network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confusion about network: Looking into Network and Sharing Centre I see two networks: - Network 2, Access type Internet, Connections Ethernet -Unidentified network, Access type Internet, Connections Ethernet There is one network adapter (Realtek) which contains both names (Network 2, Unidentified...
  7. A confusing situation... what to do about the windows actiavation?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A confusing situation... what to do about the windows actiavation?: Ok, so i have a laptop with windows 10 pre installed on it, then down then line, i upgraded from build 10240 through 10586 to 14342(latest). That means that my windows 10 is legit and activated. the below situation is the first time that's happened after an update...
  8. Confused about backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about backup: [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders...
  9. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...