Windows 10: Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders

Discus and support Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; The Windows Explorer lists two user folders. However, User Accounts in control panels only shows one account-mine. Why not two? Also, the folder name... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JAG01, Apr 1, 2018.

1. JAG01 Win User

Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders

The Windows Explorer lists two user folders. However, User Accounts in control panels only shows one account-mine. Why not two? Also, the folder name in Explorer is different than the one in User Accounts*cry. Why?

I'm throughly confused. What are the user folders in Window Explorer? Are they supposed to be accounts? Why don't they appear in User Accounts?*cry

I can find lots of info about User Accounts on line, but nothing about the folders in Windows Explorer.

:)

JAG01, Apr 1, 2018

2. Mail App won't print, everything else can

Hi,

Thank you for updating us. To transfer the files you have to file explorer, open C:\ drive and open the Users folder. Now you can transfer the files from once user account to another user account by copy/pasting all your data’s/files in between this
    two user account.

Note: You could get confused while transferring the file\data’s, as you said you have created user account in the same. I recommend try changing the user name and transfer the file.

If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 1, 2018
  3. KenMcC Win User
    Windows 10 "Documents and Settings" Shortcut

Confusing to me. The Documents folder in my user account contained My Music, My Video, etc, and Quicken, Custom office templates, AZZcardfiles, and others. I removed most of them. Confusion is that File explorer showed them at the top of the nav stack
    as well as in my account 'documents',

So which is the preferred current location "C:\Users" Thanks in advance

MY RANT is next.

Thus it would seem logical that the Documents folder in User account or at the top of nav stack is deliberately confusing stuff caused by silly program manager at Microsoft. Why have so many things being in different and thus confusing to old men. Yes,
    I loved junctions in Unix but, that was because normal users could only see the desired location. that's my 2 cents

KenMcC, Apr 1, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

What is the name of the others folder that may tell us what it is?

Samuria, Apr 1, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Each user account has a folder under Users in their own name. If you create a new local account the user's folder is the same name as the account. If you create a new Microsoft Account user their folder is named from the first (five?) characters of their email address.

Bree, Apr 1, 2018
  6. Correct, the first 5 letters. It did that on my 2nd PC. Cut the blasted 2nd s off Access lol.

Access Denied, Apr 1, 2018
  7. JAG01 Win User
    The two folders are: John, JAG

JAG01, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders - Similar Threads - Confusion between User

2. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  3. user accounts confusion and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user accounts confusion and permissions: hi. though i am quite a seasoned windows pc user, i have thus far not had experience with additional user accounts. i have recently migrated to a new pc with the help of pc mover software. what i did not realize is that i had created an extra user account and that perhaps the...
  4. User Account Confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Confusion: After I tried to create a new Local User Account, Windows 10 or Microsoft used it to replace my Microsoft Account. On Windows 10 Control Panel it appears as a Local Account. On Windows 10 Settings/Accounts/Your Info it appears as a Microsoft Account. I have changed its new...
  5. User Account confusions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account confusions: Device nameHPLAPTOPProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM8.00 GBDevice ID01C2869A-EACD-48CF-ACA6-4CFED37BDFF3Product ID00325-96176-65479-AAOEMSystem type64-bit operating system, x64-based processorPen and touchTouch support with 2 touch points...
  6. windows/office completely confused between different users

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows/office completely confused between different users: Hi I have a PC, I do a bit of work for other folk and sign into their adobe accounts to complete. Consequently I have three accounts set up on my PC. Three users. 2 are microsoft accounts, 1 is a local account. My main account is for work, that has onedrive signed into my...
  7. User accounts confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User accounts confusion: No idea where else to post this... Several years ago I bought my current system from eBay, and it arrived with a user account set up call it "BLUE1" that I was unaware of, as I went through my own personalization, creating a user account, etc. Soon I realized there were...
  8. Confused by user accounts

Confused by user accounts: I am having trouble with user accounts in Windows 10. I have three different logins, “dan”, “william” and “william lockie”. They come up randomly when I start or restart the computer. The PW for all of them is ********, the same. There are two users folders: 1. C:\users\...
  9. Confused by user/windows accounts!

Confused by user/windows accounts!: I am the only user on this Windows 10 laptop. No one else here wilI use it, my wife would be frightened to use it and she has her own anyway. I want to be able to login (or rather not to have to login) when Windows starts up. I did have this working until an update not sure...
  10. Consistency between users and Users folders

Consistency between users and Users folders: I am running W10 Pro x64 1511. The laptop came with a default account for USER, so the underlying subfolders of Users are in users\USER\. For various reasons I wanted to have them under my name i.e., users\FP\. So I added another admin user FP with which I login. However,...