Windows 10: Confusion over Bitlocker

Discus and support Confusion over Bitlocker in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My Surface Pro 4 (Win10 X64 Vrs 1703) is confused about Bitlocker Disk Management indicates that the C: drive is "236.38 GB NTFS (BitLocker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Oldozfogie, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Confusion over Bitlocker

My Surface Pro 4 (Win10 X64 Vrs 1703) is confused about Bitlocker
    Disk Management indicates that the C: drive is "236.38 GB NTFS (BitLocker Encrypted)"
    But Control Panel>System and Security>Bitlocker Drive encryption says
    "Local Disk (C*Smile Bitlocker waiting for activation" With an Icon to Turn Bitlocker ON.
    Confusion over Bitlocker [​IMG]

Confusion over Bitlocker [​IMG]

Unfortunately most low level disk manipulation programs take the Encrypted option. So I can't make a clone of the disk using Acronis or similar software.

Any ideas about what may be happening? All comments gratefully received.

:)

Oldozfogie, Sep 1, 2017

2. Getting a "E: is not accessible, access denied" for a Seagate Expansion Portable drive under Win 10 Pro

I am not sure I want to start BitLocker on this laptop. It does not leave my house. It would seem BitLocker would on;ly confuse the issue.

Donald_007, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Need bitlocker key

Thank you for your response. It's weird that after the update the password doesn't work anymore. The best possible way to get over and resolve this one is by contacting your device manufacturer. The only advance support that we have for BitLocker is the
    more detailed support article from our advance support site on this link.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Sep 1, 2017
  4. Confusion over Bitlocker

It took some heavy duty searching - but it seems that this is currently a Surface Pro Win 10 thing.

I recently replaced my SP 4 under warranty and the refurbished system came from the factory that way, Something to do with enhanced security and TPM etc.

The situation was that the disk had been encrypted in the factory settings but still needed Activation.

I went ahead and 'Activated' it - then I was able to remove the encryption and I was then able to clone the Drive with Acronis.

Oldozfogie, Sep 2, 2017
  5. Saltgrass Win User
    My Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 also came with the C drive encrypted. I had to log into a Microsoft account to be able to decrypt it.

What surprised me was when I did a clean install, it was also encrypted.

My system has a vPro processor and uses Modern Standby, like the Surface.

Saltgrass, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Confusion over Bitlocker

1. Confusion over Bitlocker - Similar Threads - Confusion Bitlocker

2. Edge vs Copilot vs Windows "Read aloud" / "Text to speech" settings are confusing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge vs Copilot vs Windows "Read aloud" / "Text to speech" settings are confusing: The Copilot that sits on my Windows 10 taskbar has a very natural sounding female English voice with a Xhosa or perhaps Zulu South African English accent. I do not like it. I have tried changing Edge browser's voice, as well as Windows' text to voice settings.This is clearly...
  3. Edge vs Copilot vs Windows "Read aloud" / "Text to speech" settings are confusing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge vs Copilot vs Windows "Read aloud" / "Text to speech" settings are confusing: The Copilot that sits on my Windows 10 taskbar has a very natural sounding female English voice with a Xhosa or perhaps Zulu South African English accent. I do not like it. I have tried changing Edge browser's voice, as well as Windows' text to voice settings.This is clearly...
  4. Edge vs Copilot vs Windows "Read aloud" / "Text to speech" settings are confusing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused: Using my PC has become nearly impossible without first dealing with the issue of space required for OneDrive. This isn't a rant. I seriously need to learn how to continue to use the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system to manage my daily activities as I've done for many...
  6. How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to comply with Microsoft requirement for additional OneDrive space--I'm confused: Using my PC has become nearly impossible without first dealing with the issue of space required for OneDrive. This isn't a rant. I seriously need to learn how to continue to use the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system to manage my daily activities as I've done for many...
  7. Confused about bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confused about bitlocker recovery key: I'm going to explain what happened to my windows 10 Dell Precision 5540 yesterday. Bear with me, as it will reveal alot of confusion and I looking if someone can explain what I witnessed. I going to be careful to explan the order that things happened and I witnessed....
  8. Confused about a few things regarding BitLocker

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about a few things regarding BitLocker: I have an external HDD that I want to encrypt but I have a few questions: BitLocker is an encryption feature built into computers running Windows 10 Pro*—if you’re running* Windows 10 Home you will not be able to use BitLocker. I have a Windows 10 Pro PC, but say after...
  9. How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?: Hi, I have a bit-locker protected USB drive. It's set to always be unlocked when attached to my main desktop PC. After I waking from sleep the drive shows as locked in My PC: [img] If I double-click it I get this message: [img] However if I right-click the drive...
  10. How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I prevent bitlocker confusion after wake from sleep?: Hi, I have a bit-locker protected USB drive. It's set to always be unlocked when attached to my main desktop PC. After I waking from sleep the drive shows as locked in My PC: [img] If I double-click it I get this message: [img] However if I right-click the drive...
Tags: