Windows 10: "Connect a smart card" dialog when opening excel file with macros

Discus and support "Connect a smart card" dialog when opening excel file with macros in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have Excel 2010 installed on Windows 7 and windows 10 (same computer). No problem with Windows 7. On windows 10 when I open an .xls or a .xlsm file... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Ev77, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Ev77 Win User

"Connect a smart card" dialog when opening excel file with macros

I have Excel 2010 installed on Windows 7 and windows 10 (same computer). No problem with Windows 7.
    On windows 10 when I open an .xls or a .xlsm file containing self-signed macros and macro security set to block unsigned macros, I get a "Windows Security" dialog asking me to "Connect a smart card". Like I said, does not happen under Win 7.

If I click "Cancel" the dialog goes away and I can use the file normally.

Thanks for any help getting rid of the dialog.

:)

2. Can't Open Excel file with ActiveX Controls on my Windows phone (W10)

But Excel is a Windows software!

And if no phone can open an Excel spreadsheet with ActiveX enabled, than what's the point in buying Windows phones?

DiegoCanciani, Jul 26, 2016
  3. AdinFakic Win User
    Can't Open Excel file with ActiveX Controls on my Windows phone (W10)

You are joking, right? I can open any Excel document containing ActiveX using WPS Office for Android. I can't open the same document using MS Excel.

AdinFakic, Jul 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to reset Excel Trust Center options. You did something by causing it wanting a Smart Card as a Security device to want you to use it to open the file.

Try this to fix: "All replies (9)Raju S Das
    Raju S Das replied on August 16, 2011See post history
    Microsoft Forum Moderator Support Engineer
    You may refer the link given below which discusses about the same issue:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-1f0e1d38572c
    4 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    NINiravPPatel replied on August 29, 2011See post history
    ReplyIn reply to Raju S Das's post on August 16, 2011
    The answer in this reply doesnt work and it still keeps on happening.
    2 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    Raju S Das
    Raju S Das replied on September 1, 2011See post history
    Microsoft Forum Moderator Support Engineer
    ReplyIn reply to NiravPPatel's post on August 29, 2011
    What happens if you try the steps mentioned in the above thread?
    Do you receive any error message?
    Provide us more information to help you better.
    1 person found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    HEHermanVeerkamp replied on September 2, 2011See post history
    It works!
    2 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    MWmwtpdx replied on September 27, 2011See post history
    The suggestion at the referenced link worked:
    "Navigate to Services.msc and check the settings for the smartcard service (try manual)."

Unfortunately, I had no idea how to get to services.msc - my tech guy had to do this, and of course too fast for me to follow. But it did work.
    9 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    The answered status icon Answer
    CYCyphon replied on April 2, 2012See post history
    Another possibility is 3rd party vendor software:
    If found an issue where folks that have IBM's Rational Doors 9.3 have this issue after they install IBM's software. What clued me in was this article: IBM Installing DOORS causes Microsoft Word to prompt during startup - United States. It should be titled, "These aren't the droids you're looking for." I found that the IBM's, door.dot, template gets placed inside c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\STARTUP; this causes the "inserrt smart card" prompt and triggers a macro warning.
    31 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    JOJoelParkinson replied on August 15, 2012See post history
    ReplyIn reply to Cyphon's post on April 2, 2012
    thank you! it was the doors template for me as well.
    Be the first person to mark this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    DHDhirenBuch replied on February 16, 2014See post history
    Dear Mr. Das,

This has not work.

Instead that, the suggestion of putting the following path in Trusted Path is better

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\STARTUP\

Regards
    6 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    SHSharonG88 replied on February 18, 2014See post history
    ReplyIn reply to NiravPPatel's post on August 29, 2011
    The answer in this reply doesnt work and it still keeps on happening.

I know it's a little late; however, none of the above worked for me. I got mine to resolve by removing the check box "Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher" under Word Options -> Trust Center Settings - > Add-ins.

If your box is greyed out and cannot be unchecked, it is probably set in a group policy. The setting is: "Require that application add-ins are signed by Trusted Publisher". This policy is located under User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Microsoft Word 2010 -> Word Options -> Security -> Trust Center. Note: I changed mine from Enabled to Not Configured and it took care of the issue.

Also, this setting is under each specific application; ie: Microsoft Word 2010, Microsoft Excel 2010, etc. in the group policy so if you are having that issue for each of the Office Applications, you probably need to turn it off for each."

I just did a search on smart card always asked when opening excel 2010. IBM Doors used to be the issue to cause this, along with Exchange as another culprit. But going in and changing the Trust Center options is where a lot of people make a mistake to cause the error to pop up.

bro67, Jul 27, 2016
  5. Ev77 Win User

6. bro67 Win User
    The trust center has nothing to do with Windows 10. It is only with Microsoft Office. The Smart Card in Services, I just disable it, since I do not use any type of extra Security like that.

Trust Center for Office can cause all kinds of headache if a file that you opened in any of the packages with Office could use a VBA script as a trojan to mess with those settings.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Connect a smart card" dialog when opening excel file with macros - Similar Threads - Connect smart card

2. Excel Macro File Saving Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel Macro File Saving Problem: Hello Friends, Here I am new so, please help me. I received a message/error "There isn't enough memory to complete this action" when I save my MACRO File. I try all things from YOUTUBE but not helpful....
  3. Excel Macro File Saving Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel Macro File Saving Problem: Hello Friends, Here I am new so, please help me. I received a message/error "There isn't enough memory to complete this action" when I save my MACRO File. I try all things from YOUTUBE but not helpful....
  4. Excel Macro File Saving Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Connect a smart card

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect a smart card: I am using the digital signature on the remote desktop user and it shows the error "Connect a smart card"how to resolve the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connect-a-smart-card/604042bc-0da2-4fbf-92a7-ee8e5150d5f7
  6. Excel macro, if Excel gets the focus.?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel macro, if Excel gets the focus.?: So I want the macro to start immediately when I switch to Excel from another application with <alt>+<tab>. Excel-Makro, wenn Excel den Focus bekommt.?
  7. Connect Smart Card error but it is connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connect Smart Card error but it is connected: I have a laptop that was upgraded from Windows 10 1703 to 1909. When using my smart card reader I get an error to connect a smart card. In Device Manager the reader shows up when connected. I have rolled back the drivers, reinstalled several times and updated to the newest...
  8. Problem with Excel macro to open Word files

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Problem with Excel macro to open Word files: I am having a problem with an Excel macro which opens Word files. The macro opens the files OK but sometimes the file is not visible; instead, it is hidden in the window behind the Excel Workbook and the Word icon on the taskbar flashes to show that the file is open. I want...
  9. Problem with Excel macro to open Word files

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Excel macro to open Word files: I am having a problem with an Excel macro which opens Word files. The macro opens the files OK but sometimes the file is not visible; instead, it is hidden in the window behind the Excel Workbook and the Word icon on the taskbar flashes to show that the file is open. I want...
  10. Connect a Smart Card

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connect a Smart Card: I can't make any changes on my ASUS Laptop, every time I tried "connect a smart card" appear. This is a personal computer and I didn't use any smart card. Please help to sort this out. Thanks in advance. 30636

Users found this page by searching for:

1. require smartcard to open excel document

2. smartcard excel vba