Windows 10: connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi

Discus and support connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have three Dell XPS PCs connected via a Verizon Actiontec router to each other and to the internet, all running Windows 10 (two preinstalled,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by doneil, Apr 3, 2017.

1. doneil Win User

connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi

Hello. I have three Dell XPS PCs connected via a Verizon Actiontec router to each other and to the internet, all running Windows 10 (two preinstalled, one upgraded from Windows 7). All connect fine to the internet via Ethernet and wifi, but they can only see/connect to each other via wifi. They cannot see each other via Ethernet; instead I have to turn wifi on for each of them to see/access each other. Not exactly sure when this started, but it wasn’t always like this (some windows update maybe?) I haven’t found my particular problem in searching forums, and there are so many options on what to try to fix other network issues, I’m not sure where to start.

If it’s a hardware issue, I would think it would be with the router, as it’s unlikely the hardware would fail on all three PCs. But since I can connect to the internet via both Ethernet and wifi, I think it’s unlikely a router problem. I have Norton 360 running on all the PCs, but I’ve tried disabling the firewalls, adding Network Trust and Device Trust, and the problem still exists, and again, all works fine over wifi. Could be a network driver problem, but I’ve tried uninstalling and letting windows reinstall the driver, and that hasn’t helped.

So some other setting that got messed up on all three computers at some point? Renaming the workgroup and/or PCs? An ipv6 issue? Any ideas on where to start??

Thanks for your help.

:)

doneil, Apr 3, 2017

2. How to use laptop Ethernet port and WiFi for different networks at the same time?

Hi,

I need to use both the Ethernet port and WiFi to connect different networks at the same time with details below:

- Ethernet port - connects to private network (intranet via switch)

- WiFi - connects to public network (internet via router/modem)

What I am seeing with Windows 10 is that Ethernet port will always has higher priority than the WiFi - when the Ethernet port is connected (even with unidentified network) the Wifi will automatically disconnect itself.

So, what are the setting I need to make get them connect to the different networks i need?

Please help. Thanks.

Regards,

Peter

PeterLiew83, Apr 3, 2017
  3. Mobile HotSpot over VPN to Ethernet connection not possible ?

Is it possible to select a VPN connection as a target for Mobile HotSpot setting in Windows 10 (1703) ?

Currently it only offers Network (my default ethernet cable)

Why such a mess?

PC is connected via Ethernet to a network, to get Internet access we have to establish a VPN network.

So any outgoing traffic has to go through the VPN channel.

WiFi gadget -> WiFi HotSpot -> VPN -> Ethernet Network

Currently it does something like this

WiFi gadget -> WiFi HotSpot -> Ethernet Network <- VPN

Which results in a completely not working network.

Mikhail (M), Apr 3, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Can you ping the PCs via name and IP from another one are they all on the same workgroup

Samuria, Apr 3, 2017
  5. doneil Win User
    Thank you, and sorry for the delayed response. I needed to wait until everyone was off their PCs to confirm. On Ethernet only, I can not ping by ip address or computer name, on wifi I can ping by both. They are all on the same workgroup, using the default name, WORKGROUP . Something else that may or may not be relevant, when I look at my router control panel, it shows the ip addresses of the problem computers connected via ethernet, but the computer names are not the actual computer names, instead they're listed as 'new-host-2' and 'new-host-3'. Relevant? Again thanks for your help.

doneil, Apr 4, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Are all the PC's running NetBIOS if there not you won't see names

Samuria, Apr 4, 2017
  7. doneil Win User
    Under the WINS tab of Advanced TCP/IP settings both computers were set to 'Default: Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server.' I changed that to the second button 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'. Not sure if that needed to be done, but then ran nbtstat -a to confirm, and yes, they are all running netbios. Still couldn't ping the other computers with wifi turned off, but could only try once before the employees needed to use their PCs, and I had to turn wifi back on again. Should it have been instant? or should I have waited a bit, or rebooted? Thanks again for your help.

doneil, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi - Similar Threads - connect internet via

2. NO wifi connection, only ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NO wifi connection, only ethernet: Background - I recently got a PC and a screen monitor Separately. I have a Huawei Mate GT monitor and some custom built beginner gaming PC i got from FB marketplace Intel CPU, MSI GTX680 - the seller said i could just connect to the wifi and Bluetooth if i go on settings...
  3. NO wifi connection, only ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO wifi connection, only ethernet: Background - I recently got a PC and a screen monitor Separately. I have a Huawei Mate GT monitor and some custom built beginner gaming PC i got from FB marketplace Intel CPU, MSI GTX680 - the seller said i could just connect to the wifi and Bluetooth if i go on settings...
  4. NO wifi connection, only ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No internet via Ethernet or Wifi after hibernate

No internet via Ethernet or Wifi after hibernate: So after performing a hibernate, sometimes my internet just doesnt connect at all. This is like a 50/50 chance and I'm connected via ethernet. I have other devices connected via ethernet and theyre working. I tried everything from changing the DNS servers, to uninstalling...
  6. Wifi connects but no network internet

Wifi connects but no network internet: Currently my internet is being a little troubled. I can connect to the wifi, but only one of the networks on my computer we have a 2.4 ghz and a 5ghz network, I can only connect to the 2.4ghz network. So, I can connect to that network, and the internet does in fact work....
  7. Wifi and Ethernet not connecting to Internet

Wifi and Ethernet not connecting to Internet: Sony Vaio FW Series laptop running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit I am not able to connect to Wifi network or using Ethernet cable. Error Message while connecting to wifi network - Can't connect to this network. I have tried reinstalling Windows 10, resetting wifi adapter...
  8. will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet

will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet: Hello, my windows 10 computer was fine and running well, now suddenly after I moved it will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet. I've replaced my WiFi card and the old one (only about a year old) works perfectly in another computer. When I run the diagnostic it tells me...
  9. No internet connection via wifi or ethernet

No internet connection via wifi or ethernet: Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise - I'm not super techy. but I...
  10. Connected via WiFi but only ethernet network icon shows in Tray

Connected via WiFi but only ethernet network icon shows in Tray: Here's a strange one. I am connected via Wifi, everything works fine, fast, stable. But I just noticed the icon showing in my Tray area is the wired ethernet icon. (No RJ45 cable connected, no docking station). [img] Is this a bug or a feature? 74525