Windows 10: Connecting 2 PC's without Network

Discus and support Connecting 2 PC's without Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC running Win7 64Bit Ent. It's not actually in use, so nothing is connected. I also have a laptop running Win10 64Bit which I'm using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gplea, Mar 4, 2016.

1. gplea Win User

Connecting 2 PC's without Network

I have a desktop PC running Win7 64Bit Ent. It's not actually in use, so nothing is connected. I also have a laptop running Win10 64Bit which I'm using to type this post. I have some audio files on my desktop that I'd like to pull off of there, and put them on my laptop, and then maybe on a cloud. My 1st question: Is it possible to simply use a USB cable between 2 USB 3 ports if I simply power up the desktop with the USB cable connected? Does the USB protocol provide for me to see those HDD's on the desktop via the laptop? I'm quite limited for physical space, and I don't need the desktop to be running permanently, I just need to get these files off of it. If that's NOT a solution, what is the next easiest method?

Thanks,
    GPL

:)

gplea, Mar 4, 2016
  2. LoSibley Win User

Sync Settings Not Working for 1 PC on a 4 PC Network

Cheers for the response Israel.

I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter and it gave an error of network adapter problem.

I ran the Network adapter troubleshooter and it reset the adapter and then said that it could not fix the issue.

I ran it a second time, this time when it found an ethernet 4 port (I only have 1) that had an incorrect address. It deleted the port. The problem still existed.

I then ran the Homegroup troubleshooter again, this time the error came back as a problem with the access point. I hard booted my router (I have done this previously), tested the connection, problem still existed.

I ran the Network adapter troubleshooter again and it turned off my Wifi connection. Problem still existed.

As a test, I disabled my ethernet connection, re-enabled my Wifi and voila, I was able to connect to the PC. However, only after mapping it manually, it was still not visible on the network. Only on the W7 PC can I see this problematic W10 PC on the Network.

So, to clarify:

PC #1 is Windows 7, connected to router by ethernet & Wifi.

PC #2 is Windows 10, connected to router by ethernet & Wifi. (Ethernet now disabled)

PC #3 is Windows 10, connected to router by Wifi.

PC #4 is Windows 10 (laptop), connected to router by Wifi.

On PC #1, Network shows all other PC's on the network plus the USB drive I have installed on the router as a media streamer. I was able to map all the other PC's and external drives without issue.

On PC #2, Network shows PC #1, PC #3 and PC #4 - it does not show the USB media drive and strangely, it does not show itself (PC #2)

On PC #3, Network shows PC #1, PC #3 (itself) & PC #4 - it does not show the USB media drive.

On PC #4, Network shows PC #1, PC #3 & PC #4 (itself) - it does not show the USB media drive.

Because I have somehow managed to map the drives on the network manually, I am confused as to why the PC still isn't showing up in network.

To make things more confusing, all PC's are showing all network devices in Homegroup now that I have re-enabled the ethernet - BUT - the problematic PC #2 is showing as unavailable. There is a button to WAKE it, but this does not work. This page only offers
    to remove the device from the Homegroup, there is no troubleshooter listed. So I ran the troubleshooter from settings.

The result halfway through said that the problem was network related and it shut down my Wifi again. The mapped drives still connect but in Homegroup PC #2 I am unable to connect to any device even though I can do so on mapped drives...

LoSibley, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Tigerin Win User
    Not getting any prompt to enter the network security key and "Can not connect to this network" error message when trying to connect to network in Windows 10.

Original Title: Network security key Windows 10

The computer attempts to connect without prompting me to enter the Network Security. This goes both for my laptop and stationary PC. There is nowhere to put in the key. It just say "Can not connect to this network" without giving me anywhere to write
    in the security key.

Tigerin, Mar 4, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Easiest option is a flash drive.

cereberus, Mar 4, 2016
  5. Dadicator Win User
    Cereberus: is Correct USB would be the easiest solution -- The only problem with USB is Speed. . . Speed of connection - 2.0, 3.0 And the Speed of the USB drive itself - Cheep USB drive Upload at about 4-5Mbps -- If you have a fast USB Drive it might Upload at about 25-30Mbps *** All of the USB Drives seem to Download at about 30-35Mbps === Second Option is a USB Cable which has same limitations a USB Drive 2.0, 3.0 === Third Option is to use a Cross-Over Network Cable (RJ45) usually Orange but not always.
    Both of your machine are 64bit --- both machines should be compatible to each other. -- So any of these three solutions will work. . .

*** Just a Quick Additive -- If you have an external USB Controller (USB Controller Unit that you hook Up a Hard Drive Too.) You can Remove the hard drive from the Desktop and plug it into the controller, then into your Laptop and it will show up as a storage device --- then transfer your files as needed. OFFLINE --- A LITLLE MORE WORK

Dadicator, Mar 4, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Or if both computers have Ethernet/RJ45 ports could use a CAT-5, CAT-5e or CAT-6 Cross-over patch cable.

Berton, Mar 4, 2016
  8. Looey Win User

Pinout:

Connecting 2 PC's without Network [​IMG]

Looey, Mar 5, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Routers are so cheap these days, you can pick one up for $20.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Connecting 2 PC's without Network - Similar Threads - Connecting PC's without

2. Cisco Connection and 2 Networks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cisco Connection and 2 Networks: Hi. I have 2 Networks on my pc. both of them are VDSL. when i try to connect to "Any Connect Cisco" one the networks get blocked and only the first one works.what i want is to connect Cisco on network 1 while network 2 is still available to use. i can't use any other vpn...
  3. Cisco Connection and 2 Networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cisco Connection and 2 Networks: Hi. I have 2 Networks on my pc. both of them are VDSL. when i try to connect to "Any Connect Cisco" one the networks get blocked and only the first one works.what i want is to connect Cisco on network 1 while network 2 is still available to use. i can't use any other vpn...
  4. Cisco Connection and 2 Networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PC - PC Network Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC - PC Network Connection: I have 2 Laptops, both have my name, email & password. I tried to connect from one to the other using the 'Network' link in File Explorer but it tells me wrong Username or Password. I use the same PIN to enter on both....
  6. PC - PC Network Connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC - PC Network Connection: I have 2 Laptops, both have my name, email & password. I tried to connect from one to the other using the 'Network' link in File Explorer but it tells me wrong Username or Password. I use the same PIN to enter on both....
  7. PC - PC Network Connection

8. Network not showing Readyshare Connections under NETWORK or THIS PC Part 2

Network not showing Readyshare Connections under NETWORK or THIS PC Part 2: Hello. I was having trouble with my computer again and decided it was best to reinstall Windows 10. Unfortunately, I completely forgot how troublesome it was to enable the \\READYSHARE Drive on Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 after Greg Carmack, an independent advisor in the...
  9. Pc shows 2 network connections

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc shows 2 network connections: I was setting up a network switch and router (both separate from my network and internet) in which I had to set static ips on my pc. After setting it back to dhcp when connecting back to the network (ethernet) it shows an extra unidentified network that wasn't there before....
  10. Network connection shows 2 suffix

Network connection shows 2 suffix: I just noticed this the other day. My wifi connection now has a two after it. For example, if my wifi connection, SSID is Sams Place. Suddenly, when I scroll to the wifi indicator or to my network sharing centre, it has Sams Place 2 as the "internet access" name. I did a...