Windows 10: Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

Discus and support Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 computers that are connected to internet and are also connected to network printer. I have another computer that has financial data. In order... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dk1971, Aug 18, 2016.

1. dk1971 Win User

Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

I have 3 computers that are connected to internet and are also connected to network printer. I have another computer that has financial data. In order to prevent any copying, I want to turnoff internet and block all USB ports on this 4th computer but still want to allow user to print on the network printer.
    Printer has only one port for installing Ethernet connection and I do not require wireless printing for any of my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help

:)

dk1971, Aug 18, 2016

2. wireless printer

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 driver?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL345...

Step 1: Prepare for installation

Before setting up the printer on your wireless network, gather the network name and password, and turn on your router, printer, and computer.

Gather the following items:

Network name: The network name is the SSID.

Security passphrase (WEP key or WPA)

A computer that is connected to the wireless network

Internet access (recommended): HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL.

note:

Internet access is not required for you to install your printer with a wireless connection. However, you do need Internet access to use Web Services, get printer updates, and to download drivers from the HP website.

Your wireless-capable printer: Place it close to the computer during the installation procedure.

Make sure the printer, router, and computer are all turned on, and that the computer is connected to the same wireless network you want to connect the printer to.

Disconnect the USB cable if it is connected to the printer.

Optional: If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, remove the USB installation before you continue.

Search Windows for your printer model name, then click the printer name in the list of results.

The printer software opens.

Click Utilities, then click Printer Setup & Software Selection.

Click Convert a USB connected printer to wireless or Connect a new printer depending on your version of Windows.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection. Once the printer has been set up on the wireless network, there is no need to continue with the steps in this document.

Step 2: Connect your wireless printer to a wireless network

Connect your printer to your wireless network using the following steps.

Search Windows for your printer model name, then click the printer name in the list of results.

The printer software opens.

Click Utilities, then click Printer Setup & Software Selection.

If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to a wireless network connection, remove the USB installation before you continue

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection. Once the printer has been set up on the wireless network, there is no need to continue with the steps in this document.

Step 3: Download and install the printer software

Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2016
  3. Nhat Ngo Win User
    Windows 10 not connect to wifi automatically when an ethernet connection is present

So I have two network connection:

- one wired to fiber internet.

- The other one is a wifi connection to my back up internet and my network printer.

Naturally I want to connect to my fiber internet and network printer all the time. However, after restarting the computer my wifi connection would not automatically connect although I have set to automatically connect. So whenever I want to print something,
    I have to either:

- Manually connect to the wifi network

- Disable ethernet connection and then wifi would connect itself automatically.

This is so frustrating, how can I set up for windows to connect to my wifi network automatically?

Nhat Ngo, Aug 18, 2016
  4. Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

Options: Move the financial computer closer to the printer and connect the printer manually through a USB port / disconnect this computer from the network by removing the Ethernet cable and disable any wireless adapters.

Option: By a separate stand alone printer for the financial computer.

Option: Block all internet connectivity using the Windows firewall, but allow printing to the network printer.

Things to consider...hope it helps.

play2mefish, Aug 18, 2016
  5. dk1971 Win User
    Thanks, there is no USB port on the printer. Can I connect all computers by network cable and printer to a network switch, that is not connected to internet

dk1971, Aug 18, 2016
  6. Yes you can. BUT, if any of these computers are connected to the internet at the same time, then there is always the possibility that someone could connect to your financial computer through the network.

Truly the only safe way to prevent accidental access is to make it a stand alone computer with its on printer. Printers are cheap these days...just saying. Anyway, let us know what you decide to do.

play2mefish, Aug 19, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    I would think if the 3 computers are assigned a different workgroup name and Subnet number than the Financial Data Computer, that it is unlikely it can be accessed via one of the other computers from the Internet but buying another printer and using USB and having no Ethernet connection to the outside world ( also known as an AirGap ) is the safest way to go especially if you are not a Network Expert, and you have highly valuable Data to protect.

Kbird, Aug 21, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

If you plan on blocking all access to one computer, it would be easier to just not hook up the Ethernet cable to it. If there is no access to that workstation, there is no way that it will be able to print to a network printer.

Also if the USB slots and case are accesiable, information can still be retrieved from the drive.

bro67, Aug 22, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    any computer can still be accessed with portable tools or even using the proper commands. There is nothing safe if you are using a home network that is not a managed system using VLAN's.

bro67, Aug 22, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    Nothing is 100% safe , given time and expertise, someone could do it, which is why I suggested if the OP isn't an expert to go with a USB connected printer and no Ethernet if the Information is highly valuable. Physically restricting access is alot harder of course , though newer MB's allow for turning off of USB ports now.

Kbird, Aug 22, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Exactly. That is why in some types of setups, you have to go through a locked door, a smart key or RFID to log into the workstation, then another login id to get into the data that you need to look at, then print to a printer attached to the computer.

The biggest issue that you run into on these kind of setups is that there are no regular backups of the data and the OS is not regularly updated.

If it is in a home setting, it is just easier to keep the data on a pocket drive and lock it up into a fire safe, than going through all of this hassle.

If I really have data that I want no one to get to, there is always double encryption if I really got a bur. The disable of the USB ports has been around since the Intel Core 2 Duo boards came around.

bro67, Aug 22, 2016
  12. davefaz Win User
    There are many, many ways of doing this.

One way is using the pc's firewall. Go in to the firewall, advanced settings, in both inbound and outbound rules look for the software you want to block - for example Microsoft Edge. Select properties and change to "block the connection". If there aren't any rules for the application you want to block then create one in both incoming and outgoing using the New Rule selection. In this way you can disable access for Browsers, but leave Update and so on running. There really aren't that many things you need to block.

You could also use a toggle application to switch the internet off ( try Internet Off ) then you can readily switch it back on when you want to allow update. Just place the toggle app in a folder only you know about or can access.

davefaz, Aug 23, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

I know davefaz. These days there are so many ways to hide info and store it to try to keep from the average user who would not think that you are hiding data inside of data inside of data, like was done with pantings and Fresco's, along with as simple as shaving a slave's head then inking the code on their skin.

I have seen people go as far as using a group of license plates as the Cipher Key.

bro67, Aug 23, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    @dk1971
    • Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer [​IMG]
    • Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 23, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    Hi Topgun , no#3 shows you selected IPV6 , no#5 shows you are in the IPV4 TCPIP properties settings , did you mean you need to do this to both? can you clarify please. Thx.

Alot of people still don't have IPV6 from their ISP , I do , so just wondering.

Kbird, Aug 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer - Similar Threads - Connecting computer internet

2. Printer is not connecting to network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer is not connecting to network: After cumulative windows updates my printer is not connecting to network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-not-connecting-to-network/0e633272-dbf3-4b55-bebe-77263a710010
  3. Printer is not connecting to network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer is not connecting to network: After cumulative windows updates my printer is not connecting to network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-not-connecting-to-network/0e633272-dbf3-4b55-bebe-77263a710010
  4. Printer is not connecting to network

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. No internet functionality on computer connected to network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet functionality on computer connected to network: For the last week or so, I've been having issues with my Windows computer's internet connectivity. In network and internet settings, I am apparently "connected to the internet," but no app, including internet browsers and Microsoft apps can actually connect to the...
  6. No internet functionality on computer connected to network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet functionality on computer connected to network: For the last week or so, I've been having issues with my Windows computer's internet connectivity. In network and internet settings, I am apparently "connected to the internet," but no app, including internet browsers and Microsoft apps can actually connect to the...
  7. No internet functionality on computer connected to network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Internet/ network connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internet/ network connection: I have a problem with my network/internet dropping out when my laptop goes to sleep or when I shut it down. I have to uninstall the network card then have the system search for new hardware and reinstall....
  9. Connect a Network Printer

Connect a Network Printer: Hi, I have two computers and each one has its own printer. They are connected in the same network. How can I connect to the other computer's printer? I can't seem to figure this out.......
  10. no network connection but connected to internet

no network connection but connected to internet: Windows 10 Home Version 1803 I recently changed my ISP. Now I'm connected to the internet, but Microsoft apps/app store/updates and such say I'm not connected. I've searched the forums and tried every fix I can find. I've reset the network adapter and tried updating the...