Windows 10: Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

Discus and support Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 **>>UPDATE: Windows 10 v1803<<** Since Windows 10 came out, it has the issue of PC icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Seahawks65, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

**>>UPDATE: Windows 10 v1803<<**

Since Windows 10 came out, it has the issue of PC icons missing in network folder. One minute they may appear after a restart or Windows update and the next minute they are missing. And one PC may show them and others not.
    V1803 may also have issues connecting to other PC's on Network. There is a fix for that here too.

Apparently there are some Services that need to be started to fix the issue in v1803 of PC's not being able to connect and share with each other, as only one person told me that someone fixed his connection issues by turning on some services, but he did not know which ones they were. And who knows if after he restarts his PC's, if it is really fixed or not.

I have played around with several Services combinations in v1803 having issues connecting and sharing with other PC's and no fix, But I will work on that some more when I get some extra time or maybe someone on the web has or will post the fix for it. Maybe there is no fix until Microsoft sends an update to fix it.

In the meantime, you can resolve this issue without changing your Network setup, messing with your modem settings or changing to Static IP Addressing and/or having to assign them manually for connected devices. This might be accepted to some Home User, but probably would not be accepted by many administrators or home users, especially on more complex Small business or Corporate Networks, Servers and Computers.

Here is a quick simple fix, as it was so obvious and easy, only if you happen to think of it.
    So if you want a quick fix to access content on your Network and/or create shortcuts on PC's, then check out this Discussion Article. Use this onetime quick easy step and then one quick easy step when using the default advanced sharing setup per Item,

For Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 Network Sharing
    For Windows 7, 8 and 10 HomeGroup Sharing: (Excluding W10 v1803)

Do this on all PC's/Laptops:
    Open Task Manager>>Services Tab>>>>
    More Services>>Open Services (On Bottom).
    or
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services

*>>Set both Function Discovery Services to Automatic and start them, This will help discover other Devices or PC's and especially if PC ICONS are Missing in the Network Folder. This does not always work though. "IF NOT", then follow below. Also how to set up sharing between PC's and Users below.

Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 [​IMG]

Also make sure these 2 below will already be running as they should be, even though they are set to manual, no need to bother with them if they are running. IF NOT, change them to Automatic and Start them.

SSDP Discovery
    UPnP Device Host

Now go to:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features>>Turn Windows Features On or Off
    Find SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support (Expand)
    ONLY select "Tick Box", SMB 1.0 CIFS client, OK

>>Restart PC

So I may have up to 6 PC's myself connected at one time and 6 Shared Drives plus default Public folders.

Other than connecting to other PC's for sharing through the NETWORK FOLDER, you may have problems doing so in Windows 10 v1803.

This is what you do on one computer and then access each PC and copy and paste each shortcut (NOT COPY & PASTE SHORTCUT) into each PC's Public default sharing folders.

NOTE:>>>> "v1803" After updating numerous PC's/Laptops on many Networks, Windows version 1803 (with HomeGroup now removed). There is an issue with the Host Name Resolution preventing PC's from connecting to each other. One minute they will and they next they will not, or they just will not at all.
    I have turned on about every windows service that was disabled or not running and turned on some windows features that none resolved the problem, including resetting network and adapter drivers and rebooting modems. As mentioned, There is a fix for that below.

There is a couple things that you must do after the v1803.

Go to each PC:
    All Settings>>Network & Internet>>Sharing Options
    or
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced Sharing Settings

For all Windows OS Versions and OS's that also support Homegroup: *MUST BE SET AS SHOWN BELOW*
    >>Private
    Turn ON Discovery
    Turn ONfile and printer sharing

>>All Networks (v1803) - Public Network (Previous)
    These 2 below will be reset to Discovery OFF and Password Sharing On in v1803. Change as follows:
    Turn ON Discovery
    Turn OFF password sharing (Unless you want to use it or know how to. Not needed on your Home Network)
    Restart All PC's after making these changes.

**If you choose to use Password Protected Sharing, leave it turned "ON". Select the PC in the Network Folder you want to access. When the Credentials Dialogue Box opens up, enter your user name and password and select the box to remember your credentials. Then you need to go to the other PC you are trying to connect to and confirm "Yes" to allow the other PC to connect to it. You only have to do this one time.
    If for some reason it will not accept your user name or password, go to:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager
    and delete the current User Name and password you may have previously used and try again entering your current credentials.

NOTE: For those who are still able to use HomeGroup prior to W10 v1803:
    You have to create a HomeGroup, save the password, and join the HomeGroup on other PC's and enter the provided password. Then select your personal sharing options.
    This is done In Network Settings / (Sharing Options)>>HomeGroup
    You also select which of your 4 or 5 Default Personal User Folders to share. You can add more to share later using the method below in the Example.
    Ignore Printers as they are shared through the Network anyways.

Still having connection issues, reboot your modem and restart all PC's on your Network.
    Still having connection issues, check it out below to get connected and start sharing.

1. >> How to create the shortcuts to access all PC's on your network: (No Connection Issues)
    Open Network Folder, Right click on a PC and create shortcut to desktop and make copies and place pretty much anywhere.
    Also (Pin to Quick Access or Start Menu in Windows 10) (Pin to Jump List in Windows 7 & 8)
    or
    A, Right click on your desktop and select New>>Shortcut

B. In the Wizard type in >> L: \\COMPUTER NAME >>click on next

C. Type in name of the PC (Probably already entered) and complete the shortcut

D. Now do this process again for each PC on your network until you have all the PC shortcuts on this first PC.

E Now click on each PC shortcut, open their public folder and copy and paste all the shortcuts into their public folders. (NOT COPY AND PASTE SHORTCUT)

F Now each PC has the PC icons on their PC's in their default sharing public folders. C:\Users\Public

G. Now on each PC, you can copy and paste the shortcuts (NOT COPY AND PASTE SHORTCUT) anywhere on each PC where you prefer. You can also Pin to Quick Access.

H. Now you should right click on taskbar
    Toolbars>>New toolbar
    Navigate to C:\Users\Public and select Public folder.

Now you have easy access from your taskbar to access all PC's on your network with the shortcuts you created and put into public folders on all PC's.

2. >> How to create the shortcuts to access all PC's on your network:
    **NOTE: Windows 10 v1803 (Issues with PC's Not Connecting).**
    There is some sort of Host Name Resolution issue with Windows being able to discover other PC's on the network by the default L: \\PC NAME, but not being able to connect to each other.

So to fix this issue, get all your PC's IP addresses located in your modem's device table or on each PC's Network Information Location. (Windows 10 is located in Network & Internet>>Status>> Change Connection Properties).
    To access most modems, type into browser 192.168.0.1
    or look in your modem manual or search the web for access address for your modems model number.

Now instead of using the PC's name while creating the shortcuts mentioned in step 1 above, you use their IP address like this:
    EXAMPLE: L: \\192.168.0.2
    The range on the last digit is from 1-254. (.2 is in the example above).

Now copy and paste them into each PC Public folders as mentioned in step 1 above.

3. >> Now you can open "THIS PC"/"MY COMPUTER" etc, and also create more shortcuts to access other PC's on network here. "For Each Situation"
    1. Select "Add Network Location on top" type in L: \\PC NAME or L: \\PC IP ADDRESS
    NOTE: but on the end of the name or IP address, you must add \Public
    EXAMPLE: L: \\SEAHAWKS\Public or L: \\192.168.0.2\Public
    Select next and name the PC shortcut and complete.
    Now you also have access to Network PC's from the "THIS PC"/"My Computer" Location.

**These shortcuts created using PC IP ADDRESSES are only for temporary use so you can connect to other PC's on your Network and Share until Microsoft fixes this issue in version 1803**

If you still have issue, you should reboot your modem and restart all PC's on your Network.

EXAMPLE: "(HOMEGROUP IS NOW GONE v1803)"

The Sharing Option for HomeGroup is >>"Give access to" for Windows 10 v1709 and prior. Also for Windows 7 & 8.
    You can use this method in v1803 (Without Connection Issues) for "Everyone", but can only give Read and Write Permissions.
    These Shares will be in the Network Folder Location L: \\PC NAMES.
    Here is where you also stop sharing using this method by selecting "Remove Access".

But Sharing by using the advanced sharing method is the best way to share with more options and control.

Then you would choose in the list or add people and set permissions for them. And I am sure you already know where your HomeGroup Shares are Located in v1709 and Prior. "In the Network Folder on W10 - v1803."

**Note: If you are updating all your PC's to v1803, then no need to mess with any HomeGroup settings prior to or after update to v1803 as there will not be any. But remember, all your shares between each other on HomeGroup may or may not now show in the New Shared Network Folder Location. So you might have to setup all your shares again. If you have some PC's on v1803 and some on v1709 and prior, then you can still share between those v1709 and prior PC's on HomeGroup.

**This is the Default Network Sharing Method since the inception of Windows Operating Systems. Network Folder, Default C:\Users\Public Sharing Folder and Additional Drives, Devices, Files or Folders that you select to share manually** "Best Option"

Procedure for a Manual Share of a File, Folder, Device or Drive.

Above, I am sharing a Folder "New Folder" to the network with "Everyone" (Default) with READ ONLY Permissions.

A. Sharing Drives, Files and Folders: (Without Connection Issues)
    Host PC - \\HOST PC NAME or \\HOST PC NAME\Public

Select the Item to share.
    Right click on the Item>>Properties>>Sharing Tab>>Advanced Sharing>>
    Select the "BOX" to share. APPLY.
    Select Permissions
    "Everyone" is default with read only permissions. APPLY/OK, APPLY, OK
    Be careful adding more permissions to prevent others from changing the item or deleting it.

You can always COPY & PASTE Items into any C:\Users\Public or L: \\PC NAME\Public Locations with out settings sharing permissions.
    ***If you put Shortcuts from Drives, Files or Folders into any C:\Users\Public or L: \\PC NAME\Public Locations, you MUST first Setup the item to Share.

B. Sharing Files and Folders: (v1803 With Connection Issues)
    HOST PC - \\HOST PC IP ADDRESS or \\HOST PC IP ADDRESS\Public

This First Step is a ONE TIME Process to make sharing easy with the v1803 connection Issues between PC's:
    This allows you to ADD 2 Users in the Security Settings for YOUR USER ACCOUNT.
    This setup gives you the ability to share your Files or Folders using the Default Advanced Sharing Settings from anywhere in your User Account like you can when there is no connection issues between PC's.

Go to >> C:\Users
    Right Click on Your User Account Folder.
    Properties>>Security Tab>>Advanced
    ADD>>Select a Principal>>Advanced>>Find Now
    Select>>"Everyone">>OK
    Select "Full Control" in Permissions>>OK
    Apply>>Keep Clicking on "Continue" as those System User Account Files are not applying "Everyone" Access or Permissions.

Now AGAIN,
    ADD>>Select a Principal>>Advanced>>Find Now
    Select>>"NETWORK">>OK.
    Select "Full Control" in Permissions>>OK
    Apply>>Keep Clicking on "Continue" as those System User Account Files are not applying "NETWORK" Access or Permissions.
    OK, OK, Close
    Restart PC'(s)
    **I would do this on all PC's and when you are done, restart them all**

It Should look like this:

Advanced Sharing:
    Now you are all set to Share as before with one little thing to do in your Advanced Sharing Setup.
    Now follow the steps above as you would for advanced sharing. But you add "NETWORK"
    Select Permissions>>ADD>>Advanced>>Find Now
    Select "NETWORK">>OK
    **Set both permissions for Everyone and Network the same or one will override the other.
    Now Choose the Permissions you are allowing for the Item.
    YOU MUST NOW SELECT>>APPLY, OK, APPLY, OK, Close.

It Should look like this:

Now from any PC, you "Can and Must" access all shared content by this method:
    "L: \\PC IP ADDRESS"

From there, each User on each PC can create shortcuts for themselves on Shared Items by simply selecting to create a shortcut which is put on your desktop. Or you can PIN to Start Menu or Quick Access. You can also put shortcut into your Public Folder.

NOTE: External or Additional Drives only need to be selected to Share to "Everyone" and the Permissions Set using Advanced Sharing. "For Each Situation"

Accessing Shared Items on Your Network:

6 Shared Drives Plus the DEFAULT Public Folders. With 3 PC's currently connected to network.
    Some folders in drives are only shared to specific PC's and/or users on my network. Some are giving full permissions. This is a more in depth process, especially with 2 circumstances. I might explain the process for Private Shares at a later when I have the time..

The Network Host PC is SEAHAWKS sharing the Drives and Default Public Folder.

"Network Folder"
    Access to SEAHAWKS, FVTRAPPERS, STANS-PC, All PC's Default Public Folders and any shared drives or items they are sharing or hosting from their PC's. (With no connection Issues)

Names cut out for privacy: All Shared content from Host PC SEAHAWKS External Storage Drives & Default Public Sharing Folder

Also, if there is a lot of folders or drives, you can create shortcuts, Pin to Quick Access or Start Menu, as mentioned above.

NETWORK\SEAHAWKS\PUBLIC Folder is the same as my C:\USERS\PUBLIC Folder. "For all PC's"

C:\USERS\PUBLIC

Then you notice and as shown in my Public Folder., I have created shortcuts to all PC's above as explained earlier. Superfast access to all PC's on my network from here and shortcuts in the other PC's Public Folders as well to all PC's. The best and fastest navigation through your whole network of available access and content.

This is FVTRAPPERS PC Public Folder below I am accessing from SEAHAWKS PC.
    This will show L: \\NETWORK\FVTRAPPERS\Public from a normal working connection.

But since I had to create shortcuts because of v1803 connection issues, I connect using the created shortcut L: \\192.168.0.24
    it will show L: \\Network\192.168.0.24\Public

This is the 23rd device connected to my home modem/router over the years. The Modem/Router Address is (192.168.0.1)
    The assigned IP Address in the modem for FVTRAPPERS\Public = L: \\192.168.0.24\Public.

Notice in left Navigation Pane, It shows the 3 PC's by name under Network as they are discovered but can not connect to each other. Then you see the connection I made with the shortcut I created with the IP Address and that is why it is also displayed in the Navigation Pane under Network.

Then if you right click on Taskbar>>Toolbars>>New Toolbar
    and navigate to C:\Users\Public and select Public for your toolbar, you have quick access to your whole network from here as shown below.

Remember: if you have connection issues between PC's, Do not use the Network Folder Location or try and access other PC's by the L: \\PC NAME. You Must use the \\PC IP ADDRESS.

I suggest to check out this link below:

Home Network Modem-Router & PC Security & Settings - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/home-network-modemrouter-pc-security-settings/fb026376-633b-48d6-9184-1572bc9eb9d0

More Helpful Topics and Tips:

Connecting PC’s and Users for Sharing - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf

Network & HomeGroup Setup and Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-homegroup-setup-and-sharing-xp-vista-7-8/6fe29dd6-6049-4953-b55c-72287e0e9f67?tm=1526264691930

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/home-network-modemrouter-pc-security-settings/fb026376-633b-48d6-9184-1572bc9eb9d0

Network Setup for Dynamic IP Addressing - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-setup-for-dynamic-ip-addressing/3ed02b5e-8c83-4706-9993-7cd28bf16a88?tm=1526935286071

Fix Homegroup Password, Joining and Unjoining Issues - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/fix-homegroup-password-joining-unjoining-and/2df306be-8a49-47c5-b7aa-33275cbebe91

How to FIX Missing Computer Icons in Network Folder - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-fix-missing-computer-icons-in-network/37140a9c-f47b-4d19-97e2-2710a7deab27

How to Install Devices & Software from Older Windows OS's on - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-install-devices-software-from-older-windows/c19bee9c-431f-46e2-85f1-6ab90304d278

Try to Fix System Problems During or After Windows Update-Upgrade - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/try-to-fix-system-problems-during-or-after-windows/f0550db9-66d1-4b95-b23e-36357ed5d523

Recover Windows Hung Up on Boot or Update Installations - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/recover-windows-hung-up-on-boot-or-update/f75a0178-4d81-4085-8b51-af12f8b57e63

Set Up Internet Options for XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-networking/set-up-internet-options-for-xp-vista-7-8-and-10/12c19ab0-0c7a-45a4-8c11-75c464c9cb17

Add Quick Launch Toolbar To Taskbar In Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/add-quick-launch-toolbar-to-taskbar-in-windows-10/7c365da5-1d58-4c0f-bffe-afa1d3af006d

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-add-a-pagefile-to-usb-thumb-drive/aa62e44e-811d-4428-bab4-c999ce0050bc

Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache Updated - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-how-to-stop-the-auto-deleting-thumbnail/5d09ef73-7777-4d59-8e47-965379fb91f0

Windows Media Player - Play ALL Video & Audio Formats Easily - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-pictures/wmp-play-all-video-audio-formats-easily/ae900cb4-2e8e-4cca-aadb-8da60b1c1464

:)

Seahawks65, Jun 7, 2018
  2. seahawks65, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Network & HomeGroup Setup and Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

Connecting PC’s and Users for Sharing

**>>UPDATE: Windows 10 v1803<<**

Since Windows 10 came out, it has the issue of PC icons missing in network folder. One minute they may appear after a restart or Windows update and the next minute they are missing. And one PC may show them and others not.

V1803 may also have issues connecting to other PC's on Network. There is a fix for that here too below in Step C.

For Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 Network Sharing

For Windows 7, 8 and 10 HomeGroup Sharing: (Excluding W10 v1803)

Do this on all PC's/Laptops:

Open Task Manager>>Services Tab>>>>

More Services>>Open Services (On Bottom).

or

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services

*>>Set both Function Discovery Services to Automatic and start them, This will help discover other Devices or PC's and especially if PC ICONS are Missing in the Network Folder. This does not always work though. "IF NOT", then follow below. Also how
    to set up sharing between PC's and Users below.

Also make sure these 2 below will already be running as they should be, even though they are set to manual, no need to bother with them if they are running. IF NOT, change them to Automatic and Start them.

SSDP Discovery

UPnP Device Host

Now go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features>>Turn Windows Features On or Off

Find SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support (Expand)

ONLY select "Tick Box", SMB 1.0 CIFS client, OK

>>Restart PC

So I may have up to 6 PC's myself connected at one time and 6 Shared Drives plus default Public folders.

Other than connecting to other PC's for sharing through the NETWORK FOLDER, you may have problems doing so in Windows 10 v1803.

This is what you do on one computer and then access each PC and copy and paste each shortcut (NOT COPY & PASTE SHORTCUT) into each PC's Public default sharing folders.

NOTE:>>>> "v1803" After updating over 60 pc's and on over 15 networks, Windows version 1803 (with HomeGroup now removed). There is an issue with the Host Name Resolution preventing PC's from connecting to each other. One minute they will and they
    next they will not, or they just will not at all.

I have turned on about every windows service that was disabled or not running and turned on some windows features that none resolved the problem, including resetting network and adapter drivers and rebooting modems.
    As mentioned, There is a fix for that too below in Step C.

There is a couple things that you must do after the v1803.

A. >> Go to each PC

All Settings>>Network & Internet>>Sharing Options

or

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced Sharing Settings

For all Windows OS Versions and OS's that also support Homegroup: *MUST BE SET AS SHOWN BELOW*

>>Private

Turn ON Discovery

Turn ON file and printer sharing

>>All Networks (v1803) - Public Network (Previous)

These 2 below will be reset to Discovery OFF and Password Sharing On in v1803. Change as follows:

Turn ON Discovery

Turn OFF password sharing (Unless you want to use it or know how to. Not needed on your Home Network)

Restart All PC's.

NOTE: For those who are still able to use HomeGroup prior to W10 v1803:

You have to create a HomeGroup, save the password, and join the HomeGroup on other PC's and enter the provided password. Then select your personal sharing options.

This is done In Network Settings / (Sharing Options)>>HomeGroup

You also select which of your 4 or 5 Default Personal User Folders to share. You can add more to share later using the method below in the Example.

Ignore Printers as they are shared through the network anyways.

Restart PC

B. >> This is how to create the shortcuts to access all PC's on your network:

**Open Network Folder, Right click on a PC and create shortcut to desktop and make copies and place pretty much anywhere.

or

(Pin to Quick Access or Start Menu in Windows 10) (Pin to Jump List in Windows 7 & Windows 8)**

or

1, Right click on your desktop and select New>>Shortcut

2. In the Wizard type in >> L:
    \\COMPUTER NAME >>click on next

3. Type in name of the PC (Probably already entered) and complete the shortcut

4. Now do this process again for each PC on your network until you have all the PC shortcuts on this first PC.

5. now click on each PC shortcut, open their public folder and copy and paste all the shortcuts into their public folders. (NOT COPY AND PASTE SHORTCUT)

6. Now each PC has the PC icons on their PC's in their default sharing public folders. C:\Users\Public

7. Now on each PC, you can copy and paste the shortcuts (NOT COPY AND PASTE SHORTCUT) anywhere on each PC where you prefer. You can also Pin to Quick Access.

8. Now you should right click on taskbar

Toolbars>>New toolbar

C:\Users\Public and select Public folder.

Now you have easy access from your taskbar to access all PC's on your network with the shortcuts you created and put into public folders on all PC's.

C. NOTE: - Windows 10 v1803: >> The v1803 issue with PC's now not connecting. (If you have this issue).

There is some sort of Host Name Resolution issue with Windows being able to discover other PC's on the network by the default
    L: \\PC NAME, but not being able to connect to each other.

1. So to fix this issue, get all your PC's IP addresses located in your modem's device table or on each PC's Network Information Location. (Windows 10 is located in Network & Internet>>Status>> Change Connection Properties).

To access most modems, type into browser 192.168.0.1

or look in your modem manual or search the web for access address for your modems model number.

2. Now instead of using the PC's name while creating the shortcuts mentioned in step B above, you use their
    IP address like this:

EXAMPLE: L:
    \\192.168.0.2

The range on the last digit is from 1-255. (.2 is in the example above).

Now copy and paste them into each PC Public folders as mentioned in step B above.

D. >> Now you can open "THIS PC"/"MY COMPUTER" etc, and also create more shortcuts to access other PC's on network here.

1. Select "Add Network Location on top" type in L:
    \\PC NAME or L: \\PC IP ADDRESS

NOTE: but on the end of the name or IP address, you must add \Public

EXAMPLE: L: \\BOBS-PC\Public or
    L: \\192.168.0.2\Public

select next and name the PC shortcut and complete.

Now you have access to Network PC's from the "THIS PC"/"My Computer" Location.

**These shortcuts created using PC IP ADDRESSES are only for temporary use so you can connect to other PC's on your Network until Microsoft fixes this issue in version 1803** You can keep using them after the fix, but I like
    using the Default PC Host Name instead.

Then I would reboot my modem and restart all PC's on my network.

Now if you want to also share individual files or folders, you can always put them into the C:\Users\Public folder locations.

If you put shortcuts to files and folder in Public folders, then you must right click on the original file or folder>>properties>>sharing>>advanced sharing>>

select box to share

select permissions

Everyone is default with read only permissions. OK, APPLY, OK

Be careful adding more permissions to prevent others from changing the item or deleting it.

If you want to share additional Drives, do the same advanced sharing for the whole drive or maybe just individual items in the drives you want to share.

Always restart PC's when adding items to share except for items placed into Public folder locations on PC's for sharing.

To see more about this, check out my other article below for
    Home Network Modem/Router & PC Security & Settings for your PC's.

Home Network Modem-Router & PC Security & Settings - Microsoft Community:

Home Network Modem/Router & PC Security & Settings

Restart all PC's after you set everything all up.

For Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10.

EXAMPLE:

The Sharing Option for HomeGroup is >>"Give access to" for Windows 10 v1709 and prior. Also for Windows 7 & 8.

Then you would choose in the list or add people and set permissions for them. And I am sure you already know where your HomeGroup shares are located.

But in V1803, you can not add people, you can not use the ones in the list either, as they will not share. "(HOMEGROUP IS NOW GONE)"

This is the Default Network Sharing Method since the inception of Windows Operating Systems. Network Folder, Default C:\Users\Public Sharing Folder and Additional Drives, Devices, Files or Folders that you select to share
    manually.

Procedure for a Manual Share of a File, Folder, Device or Drive.

Here I am sharing a Folder to the network for Everyone (Default) with READ ONLY permissions. "New Folder" Not Shown in Network Below as this is just an example to show above.

Below is all the drives shared and then sharing for each item (File or Folder) in each drive, which is either Everyone READ ONLY PERMISSIONS (DEFAULT), or a specific User Selected in the ADD a User above, then giving them MORE or FULL PERMISSIONS.

6 Shared Drives Plus the DEFAULT Public Folders. With 3 PC's currently connected to network.

Some folders in drives are only shared to specific PC's and/or users on my network. Some are giving full permissions as mentioned above.

The Network Host PC is SEAHAWKS sharing the Drives and Default Public Folder.

"Network Folder"

Access to SEAHAWKS, FVTRAPPERS, STANS-PC, All PC's Default Public Folders and any shared drives or items they are sharing or hosting from their PC's.

Names cut out for privacy: All Shared content from Host PC SEAHAWKS.

Also, if there is a lot of folders or drives, you can create shortcuts to your desktop for the specific content you want or use. You can also Pin to Quick Access or Start Menu. Then you can also put a shortcut to them into your public folders location.

NETWORK\SEAHAWKS\PUBLIC Folder is the same as my C:\USERS\PUBLIC Folder. "For all PC's"

C:\USERS\PUBLIC

Then you notice and as shown in my Public Folder., I have created shortcuts to all PC's above as explained earlier. Quick access to all PC's on my network from here and shortcuts in the other PC's Public Folders as well to all PC's. The best and fastest
    navigation through your whole network of available access and content.

This is FVTRAPPERS Public Folder I am accessing from SEAHAWKS PC.

This will show L:
    \\NETWORK\FVTRAPPERS\Public from a normal working connection. But since I had to use the IP Address and create shortcuts because of v1803 connection issues, when I connect, it will show
    L: \\192.168.0.24\Public

This is the 23rd device connected to my home modem/router over the years. This is the assigned IP Address in the modem for FVTRAPPERS PC. Notice in left Navigation Pane, It shows the 3 PC's by name under Network as they are discovered but can not connect
    to each other. Then you see the connection I made to it with the shortcut I created with the IP Address and that is why it is also displayed in Navigation Pane under Network.

Then if you right click on Taskbar>>Toolbars>>New Toolbar

and navigate to C:\Users\Public and select Public for your toolbar, you have quick access to your whole network from here as shown below.

I suggest to check out this link below:

Home Network Modem/Router & PC Security & Settings

More Helpful Topics and Tips:

Connecting PC’s and Users for Sharing - Microsoft Community

Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 "Revised"

OR (These 2 Links above and below are the same)

Network & HomeGroup Setup and Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 - Microsoft Community

Network & HomeGroup Setup and Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 "Revised"

Fix Homegroup Password, Joining and Unjoining Issues

Fix Homegroup Password, Joining and Unjoining Issues

How to FIX Missing Computer Icons in Network Folder - Microsoft Community

How To FIX Missing Computer Icons In Network Folder "UPDATED"

How to Install Devices & Software from Older Windows OS's on - Microsoft Community

How to Install Devices & Software from Older Windows OS's on Newer Windows OS's

Try to Fix System Problems During or After Windows Update-Upgrade - Microsoft Community

Try to Fix System Problems During or After Windows Update/Upgrade

Recover Windows Hung Up on Boot or Update Installations - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r-update/f75a0178-4d81-4085-8b51-af12f8b57e63

Set Up Internet Options for XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...8-and-10/12c19ab0-0c7a-45a4-8c11-75c464c9cb17

Add Quick Launch Toolbar To Taskbar In Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/7c365da5-1d58-4c0f-bffe-afa1d3af006d

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...mb-drive/aa62e44e-811d-4428-bab4-c999ce0050bc

Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache Updated - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...il-cache/af97b953-5838-420f-a5fe-f8e45017200f

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...humbnail/5d09ef73-7777-4d59-8e47-965379fb91f0

Windows Media Player - Play ALL Video & Audio Formats Easily – Microsoft

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-easily/ae900cb4-2e8e-4cca-aadb-8da60b1c1464

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-easily/312a43ce-d09f-493a-9124-cc385080d67b

seahawks65, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

1. Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 - Similar Threads - Connecting PC’s Users

2. Microsoft Helps Uploaded to YouTube Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Helps Uploaded to YouTube Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and...: Upload Video in YouTube Studio Videos Delete Button Gone Microsoft Helps Channel MYIP.COM IPV4 192.122.100.2 the Microsoft Helps Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Windows 10 Version 1507 Windows 10 Version 1607 for Tour Programs Click to Upgrade HP...
  3. Microsoft Helps Uploaded to YouTube Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Helps Uploaded to YouTube Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and...: Upload Video in YouTube Studio Videos Delete Button Gone Microsoft Helps Channel MYIP.COM IPV4 192.122.100.2 the Microsoft Helps Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8 Windows 8.1 Windows 10 Version 1507 Windows 10 Version 1607 for Tour Programs Click to Upgrade HP...
  4. Windows Vista / 7 Theme on 8, 10, 10x, and 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista / 7 Theme on 8, 10, 10x, and 11.: So, this stuff happens randomly.. No idea why it happens, but this user has Windows 10 and the vista theme / 7 theme is loaded in for 3 seconds.. Now, I have Windows 11 Home, and this is what I get for 5 seconds:From what I know, Microsoft needs to update they're stuff....
  5. Windows Vista / 7 Theme on 8, 10, 10x, and 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Vista / 7 Theme on 8, 10, 10x, and 11.: So, this stuff happens randomly.. No idea why it happens, but this user has Windows 10 and the vista theme / 7 theme is loaded in for 3 seconds.. Now, I have Windows 11 Home, and this is what I get for 5 seconds:From what I know, Microsoft needs to update they're stuff....
  6. Will there be a windows xp, vista, 7, and 8.1 theme for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Will there be a windows xp, vista, 7, and 8.1 theme for windows 10?: Those operating systems were legendary and maybe they can get a remake as a theme for Windows 10. For the xp theme, the icons, wallpaper, start menu and taskbar will be having the blue luna theme, For the vista theme, it is the same way you did for the windows xp theme. but...
  7. can you put a windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista/xp wallpaper on a chromebook?

in Windows 10 Support
    can you put a windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista/xp wallpaper on a chromebook?: You can do any windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista/xp on any kind of computer. For Chromebooks you will lookup a image then you two finger tap then press save image as and it will open the files app. Click save in the bottom right hand corner. Then open wallpaper app from settings or...
  8. Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10: Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 The Complete Guide for Home Networks and Sharing Learn it, Master it and Enjoy it. Fast, Secure and Easy 7 Easy to Understand Detailed Steps 1. Initial Network Settings. 2. HomeGroup Use. 3. "Part 1" Accessing...
  9. Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10: Connecting PC’s & Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 The Complete Guide for Home Networks and Sharing Learn it, Master it and Enjoy it. Fast, Secure and Easy "Revised 7-03-2018 Final" 7 Easy to Understand Detailed Steps 1. Initial Network Settings. 2. HomeGroup...
  10. Making Win 10 easy for Win XP/Vista/7 users...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Making Win 10 easy for Win XP/Vista/7 users...: Hi Guys, I was on XP for many, many years. Only switched over to Win 8.1 last April. I couldn't get used to the Windows 8.1 'Metro' UI on my desktop PC, so I installed Classic Shell. What a difference! Looked and worked pretty much as my old XP system did. Same deal...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 Forums > Windows 10 Network and Sharing > Windows 10 Windows 10: Windows 10 Discus and support Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 but now all my files are a mess and I have no imaa

2. connecting pcs & users for sharing