Windows 10: Connecting second monitor causes lockup.

Discus and support Connecting second monitor causes lockup. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Howdy folks, Scenario: I have an old TV right next to my monitor (which is a new smart TV) so I can be entertained while I work at home. Recently, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Raybo58, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Raybo58 Win User

Connecting second monitor causes lockup.

Howdy folks,

Scenario: I have an old TV right next to my monitor (which is a new smart TV) so I can be entertained while I work at home. Recently, I decided to cut the cord and ditch cable. In its place, I wanted to connect the old TV to my computer and use it to watch media of my choosing as I work.

So, I bought an iMeshbean HDMI to 3RCA AV CVBS Composite & S-Video R-L Audio Converter Adapter Upscaler. I unboxed it and plugged it in and it worked from the get-go with no hassles. No drivers supplied or required. The1080 only has one HDMI out, so I used a DVI to HDMI adapter to make the connection to the converter.

A few weeks later, I had some issues with my USB controllers acting up and, after following many suggested fixes, I had changed a lot of registry settings, Windows settings, device settings, BIOS settings, etc, etc, etc.

At some point, my system began failing to boot. It would just hang after POST, black screen forever as the HD light flickered occasionally. After much gnashing of teeth, I eventually tried disconnecting the second monitor and everything booted up fine. So I began testing.

When there's no source plugged into the converter, it displays color bars with a "No Signal" message on the old TV. If the old TV has no source, it just displays a black screen.

I'll boot up with the main monitor connected. After Windows has fully finished loading, I try plugging in the second monitor by way of the converter. My main monitor always goes to a blank screen with a "No Signal" message. The second monitor doesn't change, still displaying the color bars.

The HD light blinks furiously for several minutes but then slows down to about a slow heartbeat fairly shortly. Neither video signal ever comes back. If I wait another 5 minutes or so, the second monitor goes gray, not black, so it's getting a signal.

If I wait another 5 minutes, the lights on my mouse and keyboard go out. Another 5 minutes and they come back on. Another 5 minutes and the color bars return. And that's the end of the show. No other feedback after that series of events. Before the problems, the second monitor would always snap into shape within a second of being plugged in.

During limbo, I've tried typing various things to provoke a response. Ctrl-ALt-Del, Alt-F4, Alt-Tab, etc. Nothing seems to have an effect. I have my power button configured to trigger a soft shutdown. On rare occasions, if I press it early, the system will shut itself down. Most of the time, it doesn't.

So, I tried booting up with nothing but the second monitor plugged in. Works fine. When I go to add my main monitor, the same sequence occurs. Each monitor works fine on its own, but when both are connected, the system chokes.

I figured some dev config file or reg entry got corrupted, so I went to the Device Manager, enabled Hidden Device view, and uninstalled the grayed-out PnP Monitor entries and the HDMI to AV-0 audio device entries in the hopes that Windows would attempt to reacquire clean device info. Didn't work.

Things I've tried so far...

Power cycle the PC and the converter.
    Switched out HDMI cables with newer, higher rated ones (NAXA HDMI 1.4 compliant cable).
    Uninstalled unused, but still listed, monitor drivers.
    Cleared CMOS.
    Reviewed BIOS settings.
    Ran Windows Update and updated Video Card drivers.
    Checked that I had the latest BIOS update.

Any thoughts?

:)

Raybo58, Oct 9, 2017
  2. Xierion Win User

My Windows Mixed Reality Just Shows A Black Screen

In my case the problem appeared to be caused by a second monitor connected to the DVI port on my video card. Disconnecting the monitor made the headset spring to life.

Xierion, Oct 9, 2017
  3. connecting second monitor

Sometimes you have to make it try again. Try pressing Win+Ctrl+Shift+B (more than once if necessary and sometimes it seems long pauses between attempts may help). Otherwise, you can always try using the Project dialog to make a change in your Display configuration.
    E.g. press Win+P, Home, Enter to switch to PC Screen Only and then Win+P, End, Enter to switch to Second Screen Only. However, then you will need to respond sufficiently quickly to a Keep this? prompt. Pressing Tab, Enter works for that. Sometimes that
    is enough to have my PC Screen turned off but my Second Screen still showing HDMI-2 No Signal. But then I can still sign in with the help of Narrator (Win+Ctrl+Enter but use your headset in case the default audio port is associated with the dysfunctional
    HDMI video) and use Win-K Tab Enter to get an MWDA working. That drops the HDMI-2 but that's OK because it wasn't showing me anything anyway. Regardless, I am now working on my second monitor. YMMV.

Windows 10. Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 9, 2017
  4. Connecting second monitor causes lockup.

Hi Raybo58.

If I read your posting correctly, originally this all worked fine, then you had the USB issues and from that point on plugging a second monitor in causes issues.

Before trying diagnostic procedures I always recommend create a backup of your data off machine, create an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect and have bootable media that matches your current Windows environment.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

With backups and media in hand I would first trying restoring your machine to a time before the USB controller issue using System Restore. If this is not possible I would perform the inplace repair / upgrade procedure.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Before doing this I would reset BIOS to defaults and only make changes you originally had.

If the inplace repair / upgrade, which will upgrade you to V1703, and bios reset does not work....

Not understanding all the specific changes you made to windows settings, registry, device settings, etc, etc I would be inclined to perform a clean install. It likely will be faster and less effort than finding that one item out of alignment.

Other members maybe have a different approach.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 10, 2017
  5. Raybo58 Win User
    Thank you for your reply.

I have Macrium doing differential backups daily, so I'm good to go on that front.

Before I resort to the repair install, I was hoping I could learn more about the sequence of events that happen when you plug in a new monitor. More specifically, where does Windows 10 look for information about how to treat the new device?

Raybo58, Oct 10, 2017
  6. Raybo58 Win User
    Well Caledon, your advice worked. I did a repair install and after it finished the second monitor popped right up. Thanks for nudging me in that direction. The repair took about 9 hours to complete. First, the repair wouldn't begin the download, just kept looping through "Making sure your system is ready". Then it would hang at 92%, forcing me to keep restarting it from zero. Eventually, the Windows Update repair tool solved the problem.

Raybo58, Oct 11, 2017
  7. Great. Glad the forum could help.

I know it's more work but I would be planning an evening to do a clean install. Nine hours and some hangs is just not right. The Fall Creator Release will be out shortly. It might be your targeted source.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Connecting second monitor causes lockup.

1. Connecting second monitor causes lockup. - Similar Threads - Connecting second monitor

2. Second monitor no longer connects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor no longer connects: So my second monitor just will not connect thru vga after I did the latest windows update. It was working perfectly fine even while downloading the update but after installing the update and the pc resetting it no longer will connect nor will the pc detect it. I thought that...
  3. Second monitor no longer connects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor no longer connects: So my second monitor just will not connect thru vga after I did the latest windows update. It was working perfectly fine even while downloading the update but after installing the update and the pc resetting it no longer will connect nor will the pc detect it. I thought that...
  4. Help connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help connecting second monitor: Hello, I need help connecting a second monitor to my work laptop running Windows 10. The new monitor is a Dell E2220H and has only a Display Port and VGA output. I've purchased a Display Port to HDMI cable, as my laptop does not have a Display Port outlet. I connected the...
  5. Help connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help connecting second monitor: Hello, I need help connecting a second monitor to my work laptop running Windows 10. The new monitor is a Dell E2220H and has only a Display Port and VGA output. I've purchased a Display Port to HDMI cable, as my laptop does not have a Display Port outlet. I connected the...
  6. Cant connect second monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant connect second monitor: I currently have all my drivers up to date and my system if up to date. I just cant connect this Compaq Q2022a to my pc. my graphics card can handle it. I connect the second screen using a VGA, when both ends of the VGA are connected the screen wakes up but can not detect a...
  7. How to connect a second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to connect a second monitor: I'm trying to connect a second monitor to my computer via hdmi and it aint working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-connect-a-second-monitor/d9cdd8a4-358e-491d-a1ff-34d65c18fa76
  8. Connect second monitor

Connect second monitor: Dear Admin, I can't connect my second monitor on windows 10. could you please help me? thank you Best Regards, Giovanni https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/connect-second-monitor/0991fb4a-7a2c-496b-ac11-7b06a587f170
  9. Connecting second monitor that is not wireless

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connecting second monitor that is not wireless: My detect button only shows wireless. Is my computer only designed to have a second monitor that is wireless only? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/connecting-second-monitor-that-is-not-wireless/1b8e6702-e44d-402a-b3eb-9e3a932e84ea
  10. cant connect second monitor

cant connect second monitor: I just replaced my motherboard and graphics card in my pc and my onboard vga isn't detecting a screen being connected to it I have all the necessary drivers and the latest windows updates so I am very confused on how to get my on board VGA to work. any and all help is greatly...