Windows 10: Connecting to a Mac

Discus and support Connecting to a Mac in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone here networks with a PC! I have upgraded my early 2011 17" MacBook Pro to Elcapitan and my custom PC to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Steverido, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Steverido Win User

Connecting to a Mac

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone here networks with a PC!

I have upgraded my early 2011 17" MacBook Pro to Elcapitan and my custom PC to Windows 10. Prior to this the OSX was Yosemite and Windows 8.1. I could connect to the Mac from Windows no problem. Since upgrading both I can't connect to the Mac. I have tried to connect to El Capitan from another Windows 8.1 since to no avail. I have also reverted the OSX to Yosemite and still can't connect to the Mac from Windows PC.

I have followed the Network and sharing setup for the Mac to the letter from Apples website. I have checked forums and had Apple support check the setup remotely and it is fine.

Has anyone else had this issue and can help because I have run out of ideas now?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Steverido, Dec 2, 2015
  2. petrib Win User

Problems connecting 6230 to a MAC

I'm no Mac expert of any kind, but I suppose the first thing to do is to install whatever is the latest version of iSync for the Mac (assuming you're running a version of MacOS that iSync supports; in the worst case you have to upgrade both the Mac, or
    at least MacOS).

petrib, Dec 2, 2015
  3. Problems connecting 6230 to a MAC

hey, i am having difficulties connecting a nokia 6230 (vodafone) to an i-book. i want to use the phone as a modem to receive mail from a local exchange server, and display on Mac.

I would be grateful for any advice/ step by step instructions on how to do this.

Thanks, by the way i'm a newbie on a mac :S

Buckethead

buckethead---01, Dec 2, 2015
  4. Chuck38 Win User

Connecting to a Mac

Chuck38, Dec 2, 2015
  5. Steverido Win User
    I have done all of those things and had it verified by Apple online support. I think that Windows might be the problem connecting to it given that I can connect to Windows from the Mac.

Steverido, Dec 2, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    In that picture you are trying to connect to your mac right? Is it really in a domain called STEVEMORRIS (the domain in the picture).

I think you might have to put MACBOOKPRO-1842\JoeBloggs (i.e. specify the name of your Mac, followed by \ followed by user name).

You may also need the "Windows File Sharing" box ticked for your user in OSX as shown (unticked) in the Advanced Options section of the link above and also make sure the directory you want to access is shared.

My MacBook broke last week so I can't check what exactly I had set but it was working between Windows 10 Pro and El Capitan both ways.

lx07, Dec 2, 2015
  7. Steverido Win User
    I tried that and it did not work. Before I upgraded to El Capitan it connected with my logon details for the user account. I have tried various combos to no avail.

Got all the Mac end set correctly and had it verified by Apple support. The problem is they only support Apple so it is difficult to get it resolved.

I don't understand what the Domain part is that pops up. My research of it doesn't seem to show anything. What do you think?

I have the Network set to WORKGROUP on PC & Mac.

Steverido, Dec 2, 2015
  8. Chuck38 Win User

Connecting to a Mac

Hmm..

Okay, I just tried it with my iMac. Make sure you have File Sharing turned on. Then in the File Sharing page, click on 'Options' and make sure that 'Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)' is checked.

Then, on Windows 10, go to File Explorer --> Network. Make sure your Mac is turned on and then try to connect to it. You will probably be prompted to log in. Log in and connect.

It worked for me. My iMac is still stuck on OS X Lion, but it should work on El Capitan.

Chuck38, Dec 2, 2015
  9. Steverido Win User
    Yeah I have done all of that Chuck. This is what is so frustrating about it.

Not sure what the Domain dialogue that comes up though.

Steverido, Dec 2, 2015
  10. Chuck38 Win User
    That is frustrating.

I know you've probably tried this already, but what if you change your Network Credentials and try again. If you can make it to the Network Credentials promt, then it's connecting to the Mac.

Chuck38, Dec 2, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    Is it the name of your Windows PC? If it is then that is why you need the name of your mac before the user name (I think).

12. and? any solution? i assume when Network Credentials prompt comes up you need to enter you Mac username and password the shared directories had permission to right? i still cannot make it work

marcosdipaolo, May 9, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

Connecting to a Mac

This a rather old thread - you might have better luck opening a new one. What is your question? Does it work? Yes.

To connect from PC to mac you put (in Windows) THENAMEOFYOURMAC\YOURUSERONTHEMAC and then YOURMACPASSWORD as the password.

In OSX you also need to tick the box that allows Windows sharing.

Works fine for me.

If you have an issue then please explain what you have done and perhaps we can help as there are lots of people here who use both.

14. you put (in windows) where?
    in the address bar in the window below?

Connecting to a Mac [​IMG]

And by "the name of your mac" what you mean?
    MACBOOKPRO-F2AF as you see in the windows above
    MacBook Marcos as in the winodw below or
    MacBookPro-Marcos.local as the small letters in the window below?

On the top of it if you go to System Preferences>Users> and right click you administrator account and go to advance options (or something like that) you get the window below with more options to name your mac for this matter, Account Name or Full Name.

As you see I have Windows sharing enabled

And any attemp to connect to my mac's shared directories with all names possible until now and my mac's password leads me straight to the window below with a "wrong password" alert

I 'm on Win10 Home x64 and a MacBookPro 13'' mid2010 on OSX "El Capitan"

marcosdipaolo, May 14, 2016
  15. Berton Win User
    I did it a different way. I use a 15" MacBook Pro [from mid-2010 now with El Capitan], Win7, Win10, Win10 Insider Preview and Linux Mint 17, have a 2TB NAS drive attached to my Router and all computers, Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi, can access the NAS for storage and retrieval of files, don't need direct access to any of my computers. I just have to Map the drive in whichever computer needs access.

Berton, May 14, 2016
Thema:

Connecting to a Mac

1. Connecting to a Mac - Similar Threads - Connecting Mac

2. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  3. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network: Unable to connect my PC and Mac.I can see the PC from the Mac Finder, yet when connecting I'm asked for a username and password, which doesn't seem to be my login details. From what I've read it seems I need a network name and password? Yet this isn't the modem details is...
  4. Network connect PC & Mac over wifi home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why is my Wi-Fi signal strong with fast connection on my Mac Laptop, but very poor on my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my Wi-Fi signal strong with fast connection on my Mac Laptop, but very poor on my...: So I am very simple-minded when it comes to computers, so please explain in laymen's terms if need be. Clarification:The internet that I have is being used by many people so it was my first speculation that this was the issue, but having all devices that used my Wi-Fi other...
  6. Why is my Wi-Fi signal strong with fast connection on my Mac Laptop, but very poor on my...

Why is my Wi-Fi signal strong with fast connection on my Mac Laptop, but very poor on my...: So I am very simple-minded when it comes to computers, so please explain in laymen's terms if need be. Clarification:The internet that I have is being used by many people so it was my first speculation that this was the issue, but having all devices that used my Wi-Fi other...
  7. Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?: After some struggling to try to connect a Mac to a Win10 machine, and that same Win 10 machine to the same Mac, I finally resolved to connect from the Win10 machine to the Mac - on which I can navigate any attached drive and content. However, trying to connect from the Mac to...
  8. Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?: After some struggling to try to connect a Mac to a Win10 machine, and that same Win 10 machine to the same Mac, I finally resolved to connect from the Win10 machine to the Mac - on which I can navigate any attached drive and content. However, trying to connect from the Mac to...
  9. Network why Windows won't let my Mac connect while it can connect to the same Mac?

10. Microsoft Remote Desktop - first time I log in from my MAC to windows PC, it will not connect

Microsoft Remote Desktop - first time I log in from my MAC to windows PC, it will not connect: The first time I log in from my MAC to windows PC, it will not connect. I have to manually turn off the PC and then turn it back on to get the MAC to communicate to the PC via MRD. It happens every time. Does anybody know why?Please see photo of what happens on the first...