Windows 10: connecting to home wifi but set as public??

Discus and support connecting to home wifi but set as public?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So i've connect to my home wifi and for whatever reason windows 10 didnt ask me like 7 if its home, work or public its just automatically put my home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by darkschneider94, Aug 1, 2015.

1. connecting to home wifi but set as public??

So i've connect to my home wifi and for whatever reason windows 10 didnt ask me like 7 if its home, work or public its just automatically put my home wifi as public any way to change this or a setting that i am missing.

:)

darkschneider94, Aug 1, 2015
  2. bezzey Win User

N97 Wifi/Operator Problem.

Once I've left home and my home Wifi connection is out of reach, my N97 keep searching for Wifi points and displays a list of Wifi points it has found. I have set my Operator Internet connection as priority 1 and my home Wifi as priority 2 in Settings>Connectvity>Destinations>Internet.
    What do I change so that my N97 will automatically connect to the operator internet when I am out of my home Wifi connection area and when I enter my home Wifi area from being connected to the operator Internet connection, it automatically connects to my home
    Wifi?.

bezzey, Aug 1, 2015
  3. jleekjnr Win User
    WiFi and WAP connectivity problem for N97 Mini

My N97 Mini works fine with the WiFi in my home, but when I leave home and try to connect to the internet the phone tries to open it using my 'Home' WiFi.

When it finds that it can't detect my Home WiFi the message "WLAN unable to connect. WLAN network not found"

Then that's it, it just gives up trying to connect.

Can someone let me know how I set up my phone so that if it cannot connect to the WLAN network it was last connected to, it will automatically connect via 3G?

At the moment my ("settings-connectivity-destinations-internet") priorities are set as (1) Home WiFi, (2) Work WiFi, and then (3) Contract Internet.

I've tried setting Contract Internet to Priority 1, but it makes no difference.

I'd be grateful for any help.

jleekjnr, Aug 1, 2015
  4. connecting to home wifi but set as public??

Turn on network discovery and you'll be asked to convert from public to private.

theveterans, Aug 1, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    • press the Windows Key (on your keyboard) or Start button
    • type HomeGroup, and “HomeGroup” will be on top and selected, press Enter
    • select the blue link "Change network location"
    • tap/click on "Yes" when prompted with
      “Do you want to find PCs, devices, and content on this network, and automatically connect to devices like printers and TVs? We recommend that you do this on your home and work networks.”
    • optionally, you can confirm by right-clicking on the network tray icon, then left-clicking "Open Network and Sharing Center" notice it now shows "Private network"

jds63, Aug 1, 2015
  6. network discovery and when i went to homegroupsi did not see the option to change network location bizarre. when i had 7 i was always on home network location i ran some automated trouble shooter and it switched it to private. wonder if this is going to be a issue when i re connect this laptop to my 2 other friends wifi.

darkschneider94, Aug 1, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Strange to me too, use to be way theveterans said in Windows 8.1, seemed not work that way even for me.Either Public or Private on Windows 8.1 then

jds63, Aug 1, 2015
  8. connecting to home wifi but set as public??

yeah there doesn't seem to be any real way to change this none of those option that were mention are there. what I have had to do is goto home group and run the trouble shooter and then it lets me change it to private. pain in the balls I hope some alternative comes up for this eventually.

darkschneider94, Aug 2, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Way i showed you was the way i found it for Windows 10, was not that hard to do, yes should of asked during the completion of the upgrade i thought about allowing sharing which sets it to Private.

jds63, Aug 2, 2015
  10. Adding insult to injury, the anniversary update changes the home network back to public, so no network devices can be found. W10 more and more looks like a sorry mess...

No sorry, not the AU, after that one network sharing still worked fine. The KB3199209 update just now broke it for me.

OppfinnarJocke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

connecting to home wifi but set as public??

1. connecting to home wifi but set as public?? - Similar Threads - connecting home wifi

2. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  3. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  4. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.: My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated...
  5. Public wifi connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  6. Public wifi connection

Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  7. Public wifi connection

8. Unable to connect to public wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to public wifi: I'm stuck in some sort of login loop. I am trying to connect to the hospital public wifi. I log in as it requires but it just either loads this page or another login page which in turn loads this. I've tried chrome and edge. I've got two tablets currently connected to it and...
  9. Unable to connect to public wifi

Unable to connect to public wifi: I'm stuck in some sort of login loop. I am trying to connect to the hospital public wifi. I log in as it requires but it just either loads this page or another login page which in turn loads this. I've tried chrome and edge. I've got two tablets currently connected to it and...
  10. Connecting to Public WiFi

Connecting to Public WiFi: Since the latest update was pushed last week, I cannot connect to public WiFi networks that require verification on a browser after making the connection (Google Starbucks). Any suggestions?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wifi set to public