Windows 10: Connecting to my VPN

Discus and support Connecting to my VPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to connect to a VPN that I just created. I followed these instructions: Support - SparkLabs. In the VPN configuration on my Desktop, I set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by droidus, Nov 17, 2017.

1. droidus Win User

Connecting to my VPN

I am trying to connect to a VPN that I just created. I followed these instructions: Support - SparkLabs. In the VPN configuration on my Desktop, I set the VPN Type to Automatic, and Type of sign-in info to Certificate. I left username/password empty. When I attempt to connect to the vpn, I am getting this error: "a certificate could not be found that can be used with this eap". I've imported both client1.crt and ca.crt into Windows. How do I get this to work?

:)

droidus, Nov 17, 2017

2. Can you assign a button to start a VPN connection

I currently have to tap

Start

settings

connections

connections

manage existing connections

VPN

Tap and hold "My VPN"

connect

to start my VPN connection. Can I assign a button to do all of that?

ChrisDurbin, Nov 17, 2017
  3. slblack Win User
    Using PC as a WiFi hotspot with VPN

I am trying to use my Windows 10 PC as a WiFi hotspot with a VPN.

I turn on my VPN, and I set my PC a WiFi hotspot. The WiFi works and other devices can connect to it with no problems.

However, when my PC becomes the WiFi hotspot, devices connected to it are showing the original IP address instead of the VPN address.

How can I make the WiFi connection go through the VPN so all devices connected to it will be on the VPN IP.

Basically my problem is, my PC web browsing will be on USA IP because I am using VPN. But all other devices connected to my PC hotspot display the non VPN IP. Is it possible for the WiFi hotspot to have the VPN IP instead of the original IP?

Thank you.

slblack, Nov 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Connecting to my VPN

You need a server to be on your LAN, along with the firewall on your Gateway set to allow those ports to be connected to. Then you need the client that is set up to look for that VPN Server, which you are also dealing with a non-static public IP at times. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve between home and on the road.

bro67, Nov 18, 2017
  5. droidus Win User
    The server is my router. There is not anything in front of it. I just used the iptable rules as mentioned in the article.

droidus, Nov 18, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Unless your router gives you the ability to connect to a NAS or run a program, all that it is doing is being a dumb device that does not offer much in safety against the Internet. Do not know of what article you are talking about, nor what the router mfg and model number is.

bro67, Nov 18, 2017
  7. droidus Win User
    droidus, Nov 18, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Connecting to my VPN

bro67, Nov 18, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I agree with @bro67. You need to get a new router that supports both VPN from the router itself and also set up a DDNS service which will give you a URL to use. My router is a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. I believe all the Nighthawk series of routers at least from R7000 and above support VPN and DDNS. On you client computer and android devices you will need to run OpenVPN to connect. All the instructions for setting that up will be on the router setup page for VPN.

Connecting to my VPN [​IMG]

Connecting to my VPN [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2017
  10. droidus Win User
    Interesting.
    It doesn't matter that I have v4, does it, of the router?
    Is there a way I can obtain a list of routers that would support what I am looking for?
    I am not running the stock software. I am running dd-wrt. Does it make a difference? I installed the version specifically for this model.
    If this does not support VPN, why would the software have OpenVPN Server/Daemon available on it?

droidus, Nov 18, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you running OpenVPN on the client side? Also, are you attempting to connect to the VPN from a remote location outside your network? When I test my VPN at home, I tether my client computer to my phone's data connection so I am actually coming back in from the WAN side of the router. You can't test the VPN connection while connected to the LAN side of your own network.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2017
  12. droidus Win User
    I am not. Can I use the built-in windows VPN connector? Something like this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...connect-to-vpn
    I am trying to connect from inside the LAN. Why doesn't this work? I would think it would go outside to wan since it's a external IP, then come back in.

droidus, Nov 18, 2017
  13. droidus Win User

Connecting to my VPN

I tried connecting from my phone, and get the same error message.

droidus, Nov 18, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have gotten neither of them to work with a router supplied VPN. I've always had to use OpenVPN to connect, and I've always had to be outside the LAN side of my network to connect.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    and what were you using on your phone to connect with? Built-in Android VPN or OpenVPN client?

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2017
Thema:

Connecting to my VPN

1. Connecting to my VPN - Similar Threads - Connecting VPN

2. System tray Wi-Fi icon does not change to wired network icon when after connected to VPN.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System tray Wi-Fi icon does not change to wired network icon when after connected to VPN.: Hi,I am using Kaspersky VPN before I had issue with VPN, so I had done network reset before resetting in windows system tray icon Wi-Fi symbol changes to wired network symbol when connected to VPN but after resetting it won't change at all I had restarted and reinstalled...
  3. System tray Wi-Fi icon does not change to wired network icon when after connected to VPN.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System tray Wi-Fi icon does not change to wired network icon when after connected to VPN.: Hi,I am using Kaspersky VPN before I had issue with VPN, so I had done network reset before resetting in windows system tray icon Wi-Fi symbol changes to wired network symbol when connected to VPN but after resetting it won't change at all I had restarted and reinstalled...
  4. Automatic Screenshot not taking screenshots while connected to windows VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Screenshot not taking screenshots while connected to windows VPN: Automatic Screenshot not taking screenshots while connected to windows VPN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-screenshot-not-taking-screenshots-while/d9b98a61-a037-4c8f-88a8-06a60c8ccc75
  5. Automatic Screenshot not taking screenshots while connected to windows VPN

Automatic Screenshot not taking screenshots while connected to windows VPN: Automatic Screenshot not taking screenshots while connected to windows VPN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-screenshot-not-taking-screenshots-while/d9b98a61-a037-4c8f-88a8-06a60c8ccc75
  6. Remote desktop connection via VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  7. Remote desktop connection via VPN

Remote desktop connection via VPN: I have remote desktop on both a laptop and a mini PC. Both have windows 11 pro. I am able to connect while on the same network. I'd like to understand how to connect remotely while on different networks via the VPN method....
  8. Extremely Slow Internet Connection via L2TP VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extremely Slow Internet Connection via L2TP VPN: Hello all,I got a new Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 11 Pro. Whenever I connect to VPN from Windows my speed is 0.01 mbps.I searched for solutions and I tried:Running wireshark at background didn't do anything for meTrying to remove updates I don't have them installed i think...
  9. Extremely Slow Internet Connection via L2TP VPN

Extremely Slow Internet Connection via L2TP VPN: Hello all,I got a new Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 11 Pro. Whenever I connect to VPN from Windows my speed is 0.01 mbps.I searched for solutions and I tried:Running wireshark at background didn't do anything for meTrying to remove updates I don't have them installed i think...
  10. Unable to connect to internet over VPN.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to internet over VPN.: So, my issue is a bit tricky. I have my work VPN which is required for working on any company project. I was able to connect via it just before the weekend but now it has stopped working. When connected via the said VPN, I am unable to browse through any web browser or open...