Windows 10: Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help...

Discus and support Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is probably teaching people to suck eggs, but may help clear things up for some readers... I was unable to connect to an older (backup) AP in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by geoffers, Oct 28, 2015.

1. geoffers Win User

Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help...

This is probably teaching people to suck eggs, but may help clear things up for some readers...

I was unable to connect to an older (backup) AP in Win10, but Win7 and my phone, tablet etc could connect no problem - these were connecting using WPA-TKIP, but MS now only allows WPA2-AES

So MS have removed the less secure WPA-TKIP protocol from W10 (this apparently started in W8), but they have left the even less secure WEP protocol in place!!!

I have now connected using WEP - on my router you can use a passphrase to create the hex pairs for the key, but you need to enter the actual hex characters as the key (eg 13 hex digit pairs = 26 characters to enter)

Looking at the wlan profile from the command line interface shows what the settings are...
    netsh wlan>show profile plusnet2
    Profile PlusNet2 on interface Wireless Network Connection 4:
    ====================================
    Applied: All User Profile
    Profile information
    -------------------
    Version : 1
    Type : Wireless LAN
    Name : PlusNet2
    Control options :
    Connection mode : Connect automatically
    Network broadcast : Connect only if this network is broadcasting
    AutoSwitch : Do not switch to other networks
    MAC Randomization : Disabled
    Connectivity settings
    ---------------------
    Number of SSIDs : 1
    SSID name : "PlusNet2"
    Network type : Infrastructure
    Radio type : [ Any Radio Type ]
    Vendor extension : Not present
    Security settings
    -----------------
    Authentication : Open
    Cipher : WEP
    Security key : Present
    Key Index : 1

Looks like MS haven't completely removed WPA-TKIP: when the setting was set to WPA-TKIP the AP connected fine (the log on the Router shows that it has accepted the login passphrase credentials), but the state of the connection showed as State: Associating so it looks like W10 connects but does not complete the process

C:>netsh wlan show all
    There is 1 interface on the system:
    Name : Wireless Network Connection 4
    Description : Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter
    GUID : ee999a43-d489-495c-98ee-a673e36473e4
    Physical address : 9c:b7:0d:1a:52:6e
    State : associating
    Radio status : Hardware On
    Software On

:)

geoffers, Oct 28, 2015

2. e72 connection problem

hello everyone,

my problem is when I connect to my ap it connects but after 15-20 secons my wireless network is loose itself and no page open than. but when I try to connecty to same ap with my PC it connects and also it works well. ı tryed almost everything to solve this
    but I coudunt please help me in this.

yusufkockara, Oct 28, 2015
  3. RLTusch Win User
    HTC HD7 Remote desktop

Welcome Squizbiz!

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have a laptop or PC with wireless capabiltiy, you can download Microsoft's Network Monitor, and install it on that computer.

This technique won't work with every wireless AP/router, but it works with a large number of them.

After you install and run the "sniffer" software, it will want you to select your network interface. Look through the list and find your wireless adapter.

If it says that it supports "promiscuous" mode, you can use the network monitor to capture all "visible" network traffic that gets transmitted or retransmitted via your wireless access point or wireless router. Select that adapter. (If it does not support
    promiscuous mode, then it will not reveal to you what you need to see.)

Begin capturing data with the Network Monitor and then turn you phone's WIFI on and attempt to connect to your wireless network.

After a minute or so, stop the capture and view the resulting data. You will likely see a whole bunch of data that may or may not make any sense to you, but you are looking for the two address columns (source and destination).

You can compare the MAC addresses from the source and destination columns to the addresses you have entered into your wireless AP/router. Try systematically entering each MAC address that are not in your router/AP one at a time until your phone is able
    to connect. (Hopefully, your phone's MAC address was one of the ones shown in the captured data.)

---

Now, a very important lesson that you should learn from this technique is that it is relatively easy to find the MAC addresses of the devices that are connecting to a wide variety of wireless networks... potentially including yours.

When a person driving up and down your street uses this technique, they can determine the MAC addresses that are successfully "associating" with your wireless AP/router. With that information, they can set their wireless network adapter to use one of those
    MAC addresses. (Not many phones allow you to do that, but most laptop adapters do.)

That is one way to accomplish a technique called "spoofing".

If you are not using encryption in addition to MAC filtering on your AP/router, then it is relatively easy for people to use spoofing to connect to your wireless network.

You should always use encryption on your wireless network. WPA or WPA2 is preferred, but you can use WEP if you have older wireless devices that can't use anything else.

And... If you have WPA or WPA2 encryption enabled, you can turn off MAC filtering if you want to.

I wish you well with your attempts to use your new phone!

Enjoy!

PS - The bit slapping has historically gone with the territory. It would be nice if people could comment without the insults, but there will always be one or more in a crowd, so to speak. Believe it or not, you do eventually get used to it. ;-)

RLTusch, Oct 28, 2015
  4. dashbois Win User

OK, this is exactly the problem I have. I just don't understand how to fix it?

My new work PC connects fine to the work wireless, but at home, it cannot connect to the wireless AP that every other device in the home can use without an issue.

dashbois, Dec 6, 2015
  5. geoffers Win User
    Hi dashbois - frustrating innit *Sad....
    From my research I reckon the issue is probably (possibly) only present with older APs which only support WPA-TKIP, which I understand was removed from Win8 and is not present in Win10.
    • What are you using as your home AP?
    • Is your AP currently set up using WPA as the connection protocol?
    • Does it have the option to use WPA2-AES? If so change the connection type on the AP: your Win10 PC should then be able to connect to it, but you'll have to re-connect your other devices as they'll have to re-negotiate their connection/passcodes.
    • If your AP doesn't have the option to select WPA2-AES, you can try using the less secure WEP protocol which Win10 still supports. This uses a string of hexadecimal characters as the passcode - so a 128-bit wep key would use a 13 character hex string (26 characters), something like "61446741743258293f77616b69". Again you'd have to set up your other devices to use the same string as their passcode.
    Hope this helps.....

geoffers, Dec 6, 2015
  6. dashbois Win User
    Yep, I switch the AP over the WPA based on my interpretation of the earlier post and it worked a dream. but you're right, everyone else had to reconnect. It wasn't a big deal, although a few tried to make it so. So all good - was just very frustrating that Windows didn't tell me that the reason I couldn't connect was because of WEP.

Oh well. I know now.

Thanks for your help.

dashbois, Dec 7, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I wonder if this is the cause of many of the "can't connect to wireless" problems people are seeing when upgrading from Win 7?

Ztruker, Dec 7, 2015
  8. Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help...

nigelmercier, Dec 7, 2015
  9. geoffers Win User
    I'm dead certain it is for Win7 upgrades, since those upgrading from Win8.x wouldn't have the issue (or would have had it some time ago when they initially got Win8.x)

It only became a problem for me where I was using an old AP as a wireless extender upstairs: my primary AP downstairs had no connection problems as it had the up-to-date prototcols.

MS very lame excuse for removing WPA-TKIP was that WPA was insecure, so they replaced it in Win8.x with WPA2 ... so if it was so insecure why on earth did they leave the even less secure WEP connection present.

Reading between the lines I reckon they realised that their implementation of WPA had their own security issues (as well as the protocol itself being insecure), so removed it rather than fixing it

geoffers, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Connecting to older wireless APs - this may help... - Similar Threads - Connecting older wireless

2. Connect Wireless existing help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect Wireless existing help: I need help with this. is ready for you to connect wirelessly. Version: 10.0.22621.1 Protected content can't be viewed on this device. Press Ctrl + S to open Settings. I can’t login or exit the screen. I have tried multiple times turning off and on. Please help me get out of...
  3. Connect Wireless existing help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connect Wireless existing help: I need help with this. is ready for you to connect wirelessly. Version: 10.0.22621.1 Protected content can't be viewed on this device. Press Ctrl + S to open Settings. I can’t login or exit the screen. I have tried multiple times turning off and on. Please help me get out of...
  4. Wireless internet connection problems may be a wireless network adapter problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless internet connection problems may be a wireless network adapter problem: For several weeks I have been having problems with my wireless internet connection dropping out every few days. I always use Troubleshoot Problems and the result is usually a Network Adapter Problem. First if I disconnected and reconnected a few times it would sort the...
  5. Help Connecting To Wireless Internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Connecting To Wireless Internet: Whenever I hit the lil network bar, it doesnt show networks. It doesnt show any when i ask it to search for networks. When i run a diagnostic its about a ethernet cable and not wireless, every other device connected to my internet works fine. My computer was working fine and...
  6. Need HELP Wireless connection

Need HELP Wireless connection: I have the wireless driver and I don't know how to get the driver into the device manager or how to download it. I have windows 10 and a windows 8.1 wireless driver but I will run it in compatibility mode. I need this for school. Someone PLEASE HELP. [ATTACH]...
  7. Speedtest Ap connection failure

Speedtest Ap connection failure: After downloading the Speedtest App from Microsoft today, it fails to connect to the Internet each time I try to run it. What am I missing? (Microsoft Edge running under Windows 10.) Carter...
  8. older aps

older aps: how do I get older aps that I had on my old computer it was 8.1 ,I have 10 now *** Email address is removed for privacy *** thanks!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-aps/99f1add6-e2fe-483d-b183-c9dfc38395b4
  9. Realtek Wireless lan utility AP mode

Realtek Wireless lan utility AP mode: In windows 8.1 I could setup an access point trough realtek lan utility and set a network authentication but since I installed windows 10 the only option I have is open system: [img] 11089
  10. 10061 change wireless AP

10061 change wireless AP: Doesn't seem to want to let you see available SSIDs to enable you to choose. (dbl click wifi symbol in notifications). Fine in 10049 but my 10061 has regressed. Anyone else see this? 5583