Windows 10: Considering win10, need to know a few things

Discus and support Considering win10, need to know a few things in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all - I've been on win7 since the beta days, have been building and customizing PCs since 4.77Mhz was the norm, have my interface customized to look... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by johnhoh, Feb 22, 2017.

1. johnhoh Win User

Considering win10, need to know a few things

Hi all - I've been on win7 since the beta days, have been building and customizing PCs since 4.77Mhz was the norm, have my interface customized to look like win98 (icons, start menu, no animations, minimal services, etc), and am happy with its instantaneous responsiveness and retro look. Don't judge me - we all like what we like! The main thing I hate about windows "progress" over the years is how it progressively prevents users out from taking control over their machine.

If I were to upgrade to win10 I have a few requirements and need to know if they are all possible...

- can all permissions and policy settings be set such that windows NEVER says "sorry you don't have permission" or "are you sure you really want to do that?"

- can all auto-anything be turned off? Auto updates, call home, everything.

I'm assuming the interface can be made like I want since ClassicShell has a win10 version.

Basically I want to know if there is ANYTHING that win10 disallows that a person coming from an extremely hacked win7 environment might be limited by. Thanks

:)

johnhoh, Feb 22, 2017

2. Considering a Windows Phone, need to know if it does....

Thanks for the info, Julie. I'll digest this and look over the links you mentioned, and see if I have any other questions. //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, Feb 22, 2017
  3. Considering a Windows Phone, need to know if it does....

Windows Phones do not sync directly to Outlook via USB connection; instead it syncs directly to an online Microsoft account (outlook.com). But you've got a couple of syncing options:

• If you stick with Outlook 2010, you can use the Outlook Hotmail Connector, which syncs Contacts and Appointments between Outlook and your online Microsoft account - tasks are NOT synced at all via the Outlook Hotmail Connector. If you want to sync tasks,
      you'll have to upgrade to Outlook 2013. Outlook 2013, syncs Contacts, Appointments and Tasks between the desktop software and a Microsoft account
    • If you prefer to sync the phone directly to Outlook 2010, you've got some third party options:
      Akruto Sync or
      Companion Link
      . Both of these applications sync between the desktop version of Outlook and a Windows Phone.
    The phone syncs OneNote Notebooks and Office documents that are stored on your SkyDrive account. SkyDrive is the online storage that is a part of every Microsoft account.

Sync cable is not used to sync any of this data to a phone. If you use the native [free] syncing options for Outlook-related data, documents, and onenote notebooks, the phone needs an internet connection - either a data connection or wifi connection works.
    Setting up the Outlook Connector or configuring Outlook 2013 may require a little bit of setup, but I've written some blog articles that help to simplify the process, which you can find here:

If you use one of the third party syncing apps to sync directly to Outlook, you'll do so via Wifi connection and there may be some kind of client software you install on the computer (I don't use either of these apps, but I hear they work pretty well).

Julie fka profjulie, Feb 22, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

No, it is just the same. I'm sure you'll like it.

5. bobkn Win User
    Normally you can't prevent security updates for Home and Pro. For Pro, you can prevent driver updates through Windows Update. The intent is to keep Windows in a patched state, regardless of the choices of the user.

I believe that some "telemetry" is sent back to MS with privacy settings at their maximum.

The "signed driver" thing and the authorization pop-up to run some software continue.

If you're paranoid about Microsoft's intentions, you may not want to go to 10.

bobkn, Feb 22, 2017
  6. johnhoh Win User
    I have no problem with microsoft's intentions at all, just prefer to control my machine myself. Automatic security updates sounds preferable - so no problem there. Disabling automatic driver updates is critical, so Pro would work there. Looks like telemetry can be disabled. So far so good but I bet there's more...

johnhoh, Feb 22, 2017
  7. I have used Windows since 3.1 then 95 etc and to me 10 is the best by far whatever I have wanted to it has allowed me and believe me I have 8 systems running windows 10 and all doing different jobs and not once have I been let down

hTconeM9user, Feb 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I agree completely with @hTconeM9user and a dozen computers in my household. But, as with everything in our society, more and more control is being taken away from the individual and transferred to "big brother", so if you don't want to give up that control, then might want to stick with Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2017
  9. johnhoh Win User
    I just want to know exactly where the user is giving up control versus windows 7. Security updates is the only thing that has come up so far, which is no problem at all, a benefit really. This is a very specific technical question aimed at those who do registry editing, group policy changing, windows service changing, folder and file ownership changing. On the sevenforum site a lot of guys tried win10 but went back to win7 because of what they felt were win10 annoyances, and I'm hoping someone out there did not give up so easily, and got to where win10 was as under their control as was win7.

johnhoh, Feb 23, 2017
  10. clam1952 Win User
    Pretty much under control here, have both Win10 Home and Pro.
    Don't like tablet stuff looks like something AOL threw together so that all went, don't like the Win10 start menu replaced it with Classic Start Menu.
    Turned off all the phone home stuff not as I'm paranoid but on a data limit, or was when I set it all up should I say.
    No intention of using the Annoying Paperclip reincarnation otherwise known as Cortana, so disabled it.
    Got rid of One drive, got my own alternatives which I'm quite happy with.
    You can block driver updates easily enough on both Pro and Home.
    UAC turned down, only me here and I know what I'm doing.
    No issues with registry editing, group policy, windows services, folder and file ownership.
    Lots of things can be dealt with I found out after having done it all myself, with Winaero Tweaker or Ultimate Windows Tweaker, if you don't fancy doing it the hard way.
    I was extremely Anti Win8 8.1 an 10 until it was forced on me, I just bit the bullet and got on with taming it.
    Just to add, my installs look pretty much like Win7.

clam1952, Feb 23, 2017
  11. johnhoh Win User
    perfect clam1952 that's exactly what I was looking for. If I get win10 home it looks like I need to download gpedit, so is there any reason to get pro?

johnhoh, Feb 23, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    The only real problem I ran into for this is if you disable UAC, you can't use the App Store.
    Now, since I don't use apps anyway, it's no longer a problem for me and I have UAC completely disabled.

Ztruker, Feb 23, 2017
  13. Considering win10, need to know a few things

I actually use my computer for work and play, so I can honestly say that Windows 10 doesn't prevent me from doing anything that I've done in 7, 8, or 8.1. This over-hyped misinformation is getting out of control.

There's no need to hack anything with 10....not for performance, security, etc. Some of you are far overthinking the process. If you want 10 (and it is still free if you have an existing license), just install it, update it and it's drivers, then load your applications and games that you plan to use. That's it. No worries, no tinfoil hats, etc.

DeaconFrost, Feb 23, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Feb 23, 2017
  15. johnhoh Win User
    Some people like to control their interface. Just saying.

This is totally not about the uninformed suspicion and distrust that drives non-engineers, but about an engineer's distaste for bolts put out of his reach. Thanks to clam1952's post, it appears the bolts can be reached.

johnhoh, Feb 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Considering win10, need to know a few things - Similar Threads - Considering win10 need

2. Consider These 5 Things With A Per Diem Contract

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Consider These 5 Things With A Per Diem Contract: Per diem nurses are hired to cover the gap of regular staff nurses on different floors and specialties. Facilities can offer nursing assignments to support shortages by the hour, day, or week. Many nurses enjoy specific benefits of a per diem contract, which includes higher...
  3. Consider These 5 Things With A Per Diem Contract

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Consider These 5 Things With A Per Diem Contract: Per diem nurses are hired to cover the gap of regular staff nurses on different floors and specialties. Facilities can offer nursing assignments to support shortages by the hour, day, or week. Many nurses enjoy specific benefits of a per diem contract, which includes higher...
  4. Consider These 5 Things With A Per Diem Contract

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Few things will work on PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Few things will work on PC: Hi, I’m not really sure how long this issue has been going on for because it started in some apps before others, Basically for awhile my minecraft launcher will not respond to uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing, etc. First case of me noticingBecause of a native launcher...
  6. Few things will work on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Few things will work on PC: Hi, I’m not really sure how long this issue has been going on for because it started in some apps before others, Basically for awhile my minecraft launcher will not respond to uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing, etc. First case of me noticingBecause of a native launcher...
  7. Few things will work on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. few things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    few things: How can i disable com surrogate? another thing: i disabled runtimebroker.exe via registry, and set the value data to 4 over here: 3 when i try settings a program priority to HIGH, it says access denied only happening for a certain program...
  9. Wondering what things to consider

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wondering what things to consider: Hello, Used kari's tutorial when setting up Windows 10 a few years back. Now, am having issues with Windows update and might need to either use - Media creation tool to update to latest Win-1909 OR - install using...
  10. Few things not working in w10

in Windows 10 Support
    Few things not working in w10: when i when i click on left mouse key in This Pc from desktop and then try to open manage or something its not working and nothing happen, and also pressing Win+X then try to select something like control panel or power option, nothing happen *Sad what to do ? 97y2FOU774A...