Windows 10: Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.

Discus and support Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The title says it all. Constant freezing and slow to open programs - I'm talking about minutes not seconds. I have anti-virus and malware software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vee39, May 29, 2017.

1. Vee39 Win User

Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.

The title says it all. Constant freezing and slow to open programs - I'm talking about minutes not seconds. I have anti-virus and malware software working. Recently, downloaded latest Windows 10 update. Now it seems worse. But it was bad before that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

:)

Vee39, May 29, 2017

2. Constant freezing and programs not responding

The computer is in an inoperable state.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If there are files on the drive you want to recover, see - How to: Perform a Custom install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, May 29, 2017
  3. domharris Win User
    Constant freezing and programs not responding

Hi,

I had to reset my pc because of a problem installing my new CPU and motherboard cause (unable to reactivate windows). now this problem is fixed my computer keeps freezing and i cant interact with any programs, this happens once every 5-15 mins and it doesn't
    matter what programs i am using, could be Overwatch to just moving files around in the windows explorer it happens constantly.

here is a list of things i have tried:

virus scan - doesn't apply because i reset my pc

hardware overheating - none of my hardware goes above the normal range for there temperature

booting in safemode - there is no difference to when i normally boot

one drive syncing - i have turned off syncing and it still freezes

Can anyone help me with this and suggest anything else i can do?

domharris, May 29, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Open administrative command prompt and run these commands:
    1) winver (in the pop up view the windows version and build and post into the forum)
    2) sfc /scannow (this typically takes less than 10 minutes and will display that it was unable to complete, that it found integrity violations and was unable to repair them, that it found integrity violations and was able to repair them, or that it found no integrity violations)
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (this typically takes less than 10 minutes and will typically display that it completed successfully, or that it was unable to complete due to missing source files, etc.)
    4) chkdsk /scan (this typically takes less than 10 minutes and displays information about files on your HD.

When the above commands are completed right click on the top bar of the administrative command prompt box and left click on edit then select all. Then right again on the same bar then left click edit and left click copy. Then paste into the forum.

5) msconfig (this will open the system configuration pop up immediately. Click the services tab. Then on the bottom left check hide all Microsoft services. Then on the right side click on disable all. Then click OK. Then exit without restart.
    6) On the keyboard click control + alt + delete simultaneously: Then click on task manager. (In task manager click on the startup tab. The click on status and have all the enabled rise to the top. For each enabled change to disabled. This completes the clean boot. See the two links below for additional information):

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows

If the clean boot improves the performance then we can work on narrowing down the application or applications that may be misbehaving.
    If the clean boot fails to improve performance then open safe mode with command prompt or safe mode with networking. Then check performance.

zbook, May 29, 2017
  5. Vee39 Win User
    Wow! That's pretty comprehensive. Thanks. At the moment, it's running perfectly. I am trying to get on with stuff I need to finish while it''s working. It has wasted so much of my time. I will try the clean boot next time it plays up and get back to you. Thanks a lot. V

Vee39, May 29, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Hi Vee39,

How old is your laptop?

7. Vee39 Win User
    Hi axeo, It's six months old. I should take it back, I know, but I am flat out and need it every day. Got a deadline for Monday. Just have to keep plodding on. If it's not fixed by then I'll return it. BTW, it doesn't need a defrag.

Vee39, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files. - Similar Threads - Constant freezing slow

2. Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.: Apps and programs take forever to open and my screen freezes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-and-programs-are-very-slow-to-open-and-screen/a34eb302-98e1-4cd9-9e52-c3f2a1667898
  3. Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps and programs are very slow to open and screen freezes.: Apps and programs take forever to open and my screen freezes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-and-programs-are-very-slow-to-open-and-screen/a34eb302-98e1-4cd9-9e52-c3f2a1667898
  4. Monitor is slow and blacks out constantly and freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor is slow and blacks out constantly and freezes: I have an HP Pavillion All-in-one computer/monitor thing and recently it's started to become slower and now it's constantly blacking out as in showing black screens a lot. This has been reoccuring a lot and now it freezes after a while. Is there anyway I can fix it withour...
  5. Programs slow to open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs slow to open: Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options. Normal right click works fine (unless selecting say an iso or other file, then it takes ages), but opening things even notepad can...
  6. Programs slow to open

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs slow to open: Hey guys for about a month or so every time I go to use right click (on say C: to do a cleanup) it can take upto a minute to give me any options. Normal right click works fine (unless selecting say an iso or other file, then it takes ages), but opening things even notepad can...
  7. System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open

in Windows 10 Customization
    System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open: System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/f7c13e5f-fe9c-4a8f-98cc-3d25990168c3
  8. "open with" and opening of files slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    "open with" and opening of files slow: I have a problem were files associated for example with Word or Acrobat reader are slow to open. It seems Windows is confused which app to choose and takes long. If I reopen the same file it will open instantly or open another file with the app already open Also the "Open...
  9. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer: When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The delay is approx. 5 - 20 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time. I have searched the web and I used the command line SFC...
  10. Constant freezing and slow to respond

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Constant freezing and slow to respond: Since I've installed win 10 I've ran into countless problems. I had the black screen with white cursor which turned out to be the integrated graphics displaying it on my second monitor which was off at the time. So fixed that. Now the annoying part. Once it boots to desktop...