Windows 10: Constant Network Activity with No Processes Using Network

Discus and support Constant Network Activity with No Processes Using Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! Just noticed this problem about a week and a half ago, but assumed it was probably just Windows force-downloading the update that dropped today.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fizz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. fizz Win User

Constant Network Activity with No Processes Using Network

Hi! Just noticed this problem about a week and a half ago, but assumed it was probably just Windows force-downloading the update that dropped today. But I've installed the update now and I'm still constantly receiving 88-100 Kbps down. Resource monitor shows no processes using the network and there are no active TCP connections. I've tried using Glasswire and Wireshark to determine what is constantly being downloaded but have since been unable to determine what it is.

I've run full system scans with Avira Free, Malwarebytes 3, Hitman Pro, ESET online scanner, and RogueKiller. I've also run multiple adware cleaners but still the problem persists. netstat (-b/a/n) offered no useful information and showed no active connections even while I was sitting and looking at the Task Manager showing 88kbps being received.

I've updated drivers and Windows to the current available stable versions and still the problem persists.

Running Windows 10 (1703 - 15063.483) with AMD FX-6300 cpu and Radeon R270.

Any ideas on what could be causing this or methods for determining what is causing it would be greatly appreciated!

:)

2. Taurean75 Win User

SearchUI.exe (Cortana) is Constantly Accessing the Internet

As I've said, there are constant network activities ONLY when web search is enabled, and when it's disabled, the search window misbehaves; i.e., the Cortana process tries to initiate itself, causing the search window to close after a few
    seconds of opening -- according to Task Manager.

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security.

Thanks.

Taurean75, Jul 11, 2017
  3. bkarp(2) Win User
    Constant network activity by svchost.exe (netsvcs)

The link no longer works. It just takes you to the error section.

bkarp(2), Jul 11, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

A lot of that traffic is just keep alive pings from the machine to your gateway and gateway to your machine. The rest can be NTP, etc. while it is just sitting idle to communicate. If the system is clean, no need to worry. If you want to see what is going on on the Gateway side, just look at the logs. As for Windows, you can use the Sysinterrnals TCPView, which you can read about and download at TCPView for Windows

bro67, Jul 11, 2017
  5. fizz Win User
    Thanks for the reply! While I do believe that Wireshark showed me something similar to what you said, I don't understand why I just started seeing this less than two weeks ago. I check regularly to see what's happening on the network and that just started occurring then, not coinciding with a windows update of any sort that I'm aware of. As far as NTP is concerned, why would it need a continuous stream that large to keep the system clock synced? Wouldn't like one ping an hour at the most be enough for that?

Also not very experienced with networking, what are these Gateway logs you're referring to?

6. bro67 Win User
    Wireshark is for sniffing packet traffic to see what it contains. TCPView will show you what ports with what IP's are being used. You will see various ports pinging as normal traffic, with heartbeats taking up the majority of those streams. The Gateway logs are on the gateway that allows you to connect to the Internet.

bro67, Jul 12, 2017
  7. fizz Win User
    I gotcha. Would constant ARP broadcasts that I've been getting recently have any effect on my situation?

8. bro67 Win User

You would need to use TCPView for the answer of your question.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Constant Network Activity with No Processes Using Network - Similar Threads - Constant Network Activity

2. Network not active at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network not active at startup: I have windows 10, and on each start up there is no network connection. I have learned that if I disable my ethernet connection and then enable it, the network connection becomes active. This happens so consistently that I've even written a .bat file to disable and enable the...
  3. Network not active at startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network not active at startup: I have windows 10, and on each start up there is no network connection. I have learned that if I disable my ethernet connection and then enable it, the network connection becomes active. This happens so consistently that I've even written a .bat file to disable and enable the...
  4. Is there a way to tell different processes which network adapter to use?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to tell different processes which network adapter to use?: Tl;dr: I'd like to access both a local network over my Ethernet and the internet over my WiFi connection. Is there a way to tell Chrome/Firefox/terminal/explorer/... processes which interface they should be using when I want to access a resource? I frequently need to connect...
  5. WiFi Networks constantly disappearing

WiFi Networks constantly disappearing: I recently moved to college and brought my Windows 10 PC that I have been using for years with no wifi problems, but now I run into this one constantly. My PC will randomly disconnect from the wifi, and when I click on the wireless icon at the bottom-right, none of the nearby...
  6. Process with network activity

Process with network activity: can any one assists going mad our internet in the office is not working We have a dedicated line for internet was advised by our provider when he access our router and monitors the movement on the network, two computers are sending massive GB data that is clogging the...
  7. Network wont activate

in Windows 10 Support
    Network wont activate: Hi Ive tried everything. Nothing seams to work. Resetting Windows,, repairing startup. Tried ALL possibilities with shiftreastart. Wonder IF someone knops whats wrong and what to do before downloading clean Windows and reinstall? NOTE: Have the correct password. But the...
  8. Process called "osrdl.exe" using most of my network

Process called "osrdl.exe" using most of my network: I can't find anything online about this, I can't access the file location because if I try it just says C:\OSRSS is not accesible. Access is denied....
  9. Network Processes drop instantly!

Network Processes drop instantly!: so apparently my PC has started to do a thing were it will just randomly drop all network processes (connections) and it either recovers slowly or not at all and a restart of the programs or the PC is needed.. here is a Screen grab of the issue in some way.. btw just...
  10. Active Network

Active Network: Hi all, I had a problem with Windows 10 Pro (version 1511 build 10586.36) while i connect Network by Wifi and Ethernet OK ( ping, use web brower...) but i cannot Update Windows, Access Windows Store... [img] i check Network Properties [img] How can i fix that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. osrdl.exe

2. constant network activity

3. whats osrdl