Windows 10: Constantly Crashing because of my graphics card.

Discus and support Constantly Crashing because of my graphics card. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just started using my custom built pc started on December 26th 2015 (built in 2015 summer) because I finally got my monitor. After downloading my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wooseoklee, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Constantly Crashing because of my graphics card.

I just started using my custom built pc started on December 26th 2015 (built in 2015 summer) because I finally got my monitor. After downloading my drivers for my video card (gigabyte amd r9 280x), everything worked fine. After downloading some games from steam, I played games from steam for like 2 days until my computer started to crash constantly when I turn on my computer (it does not crash when the computer starts but it crashes few minute later after I get into my computer). It crashes at random times, when I open files, device manager, browsers, games and even when I don't do anything on it. When I get really lucky, I could actually play games for a while but it always ends up with a crash.

Sometimes it's a BSOD but 80% of the times its vertical stripes, sometimes blue, black and white, and other different colours. Today it crashed over 10 times... and I gave up with my computer until I found out about this website.

I used whocrashed program to find out why it was crashing.

On Mon 1/4/2016 5:08:21 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010416-21125-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x42003)
    Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFE0005A351840, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
    product: ATI Radeon Family
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Analysis above is one of my crashed event.

Please help! My exams are coming soon and I really need this computer to work!

Sorry about my English skills, it is my second language! Thank you for reading and Happy new years!

-Lee

:)

wooseoklee, Jan 3, 2016
  2. cpmerten Win User

New computer problems

This is the second computer I have purchased the in the last month. The first was a Lenovo with a 6th gen i7, 8 gb of ram and 2gb graphics card. Computer was extremely glichy and slow, once a minute or so the cursor would freeze or lag and the graphics
    card was constantly crashing. Use Autocad as a profession and that program ran worse on my new computer than it did on a 6 year old pc running windows 7. Returned that computer and upgraded to a Dell with an i7-6700HQ, 16gb of ram, 4 gb Nvidia grapics card
    and a SSD. One of the fastest laptops I've used, at the beginning. Have found myself restarting my laptop 4 or 5 times a day because the longer I use it the slower and slower it becomes until the cursor is constantly lagging. Then the graphics card starts
    "crashing but has been restored" and I'm constantly having to disconnect and reconnect to the internet as Edge and Chrome will just stop loading. No one else in my office has any issues with the internet so it has nothing to do with the router or the internet.
    I only have Google Chrome and Autocad downloaded on it, nothing else. I have "updated" drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, tried different versions of Autocad and rebooted the operating system but to no avail. I understand the compatibility issues
    with "downgrading" to another operating system but if there is anyway to go back to 7 or 8 on a new laptop that would be great. Two brand new computers with some of the best hardware available running terrible out of the box is no coincidence.

Also my desk at work has a glass top and I have monitored the temps of my graphics cards and they are never to high. Just wanted to eliminate the theory of the graphics card overheating as the reason for the crashing.

cpmerten, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Security update gtx1060 crashing over & over

Since updating my computer's windows security update (december 2017) the graphics card (invidia 1060 gtx 3gb) crashes repeditly and flickers constantly. It is most certian the update. Have gone as far as fresh(from disk) windows wipe and reinstall. Have
    fixed 3 times, security update does it everytime.

JaredValnes, Jan 3, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Constantly Crashing because of my graphics card.

Please uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from AMD. Be sure to ONLY install the display drivers using custom/advanced options.
    Attachment 57046

Because Avast often causes instability, please uninstall Avast while troubleshooting and use Windows Defender as alternative.
    I have nothing from the logs that indicate Avast being a cause or involved, but it is as a test *Smile
    Avast - Uninstall Completely - Windows 7 Help Forums

axe0, Jan 3, 2016
  5. I actually have done a lot of things and running ddu while i had no computer protection such as avast. I reinstalled my drivers in a lot of different ways too but all of the results ends up with crashes

*edit* I will still try it again though! thanks for the reply!

wooseoklee, Jan 3, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    When no other protection is installed Windows Defender is usually automatically enabled.

If you'd let me know what you already have done, I can edit my suggestion *Smile

axe0, Jan 3, 2016
  7. Other stuff that i have done is using EXPAND.exe command in cmd with atikmdag.sys and sy_ file, and same thing with atikmpag files. I saw a tutorial online and for some people, it worked but not for me. (I undid all of the steps because it did not work)

I installed drivers from the AMD website, the latest version for windows 10 and when I was installing it, there was an option for me to choose what to download and I chose all (such as display drivers, audio drivers too) except for amd gaming program. (Im saying this so maybe it can be helped)

I forgot to say this, 70% of the time when it crashes, before it crash, it makes a fuzzy cut on my screen. After the fuzzy cut on my screen, few percentage of it not to crash but it notes my computer that the display driver has stopped working and recovered.

And again, thanks for the reply!

wooseoklee, Jan 3, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Please only install the display drivers, I noticed I need to edit my post.

axe0, Jan 3, 2016
  9. I have deleted avast fully and cleared amd with ddu. I am at where I choose what to download in amd installer.
    Option is down below

Amd display driver
    Hdmi audio driver
    Amd smbus driver
    Amd radeon settings
    Amd setting branding (not optional, have to download this)
    Amd install manager (same as above, i cant say no)
    Amd usb filter driver
    Amd gaming app
    Microsoft visual C++ redistributable (x86) (cant say no with this one too)

Which one do i choose and which one do i dont?

Thank you!

wooseoklee, Jan 3, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Only install the display driver as mentioned earlier.

11. Hve you solve this? I have the same problem :S

poikonen90, Dec 6, 2016
  12. I did solve this problem. I tried a lot of things for several months but My friends and I concluded that the graphic card was the problem because I tried putting on my graphics card into several different pc, and same thing happens to those other pc.I can say that my graphic card was like that from the start so if you can return your graphics card, return it as soon as possible. I couldn't return mine cause I was too late *Sad I switched to different graphic card and it is working great. Hopefully your computer gets fixed soon *Smile

wooseoklee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Constantly Crashing because of my graphics card. - Similar Threads - Constantly Crashing graphics

2. Pc Crashes/Bsod something because of graphics card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc Crashes/Bsod something because of graphics card: My pc has been crashing very much lately and maybe a tiny little bsods that rarely happen i tried updating everything formatting and downloading an older version of my graphics card i would have used microsoft support but the time dont match up with my actual schedule so my...
  3. Pc Crashes/Bsod something because of graphics card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc Crashes/Bsod something because of graphics card: My pc has been crashing very much lately and maybe a tiny little bsods that rarely happen i tried updating everything formatting and downloading an older version of my graphics card i would have used microsoft support but the time dont match up with my actual schedule so my...
  4. Graphics card crashing?

Graphics card crashing?: Hello, So I've come here today to try and figure out what's going with my computer, I have installed several games onto my computer and some of them decide they want to crash and not appear. Whenever I run these games most of the times I am using steam, when I launch the game...
  5. Graphics card crashing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphics card crashing?: Hello, So I've come here today to try and figure out what's going with my computer, I have installed several games onto my computer and some of them decide they want to crash and not appear. Whenever I run these games most of the times I am using steam, when I launch the game...
  6. Graphics card crashing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Graphics Card Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Card Crash: It made this dump -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhO5tAn9wYtkh5NPu5CC9B4OrTfAzno9/view?usp=sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card-crash/9ccf873f-89a6-44f7-81e9-ee97a39408ce
  8. Graphics Card Crash

Graphics Card Crash: It made this dump -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhO5tAn9wYtkh5NPu5CC9B4OrTfAzno9/view?usp=sharing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphics-card-crash/9ccf873f-89a6-44f7-81e9-ee97a39408ce
  9. Graphics Card Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. graphics card crashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    graphics card crashing: Hello for awhile now I've noticed that my computer will sometimes go into a grey screen and then come back to my desktop but on some occasions it completely freezes up my computer to the point where I have to restart it physically. this is the error I get: "Display driver...