Windows 10: Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

Discus and support Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running Windows10Pro 1607 version. I have two hard disks on my Desktop PC. In the second HardDrive on Partition J - the total space is 199 GB and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ashok Kumar Bag, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

I am running Windows10Pro 1607 version. I have two hard disks on my Desktop PC. In the second HardDrive on Partition J - the total space is 199 GB and unutilised space as 189 GB. But when I open this partition, there are no contents visible there. There are two hidden folders namely - 1 Recycle Bin and 2 System Volume Information. Recycle Bin's size is 100 MB and System Vol.Information size is 0. But the space occupied by this Drive(J) is 10GB, out of which only 100MB is occupied by Recycle Bin.
    I want to know what are the other contents that I cannot see there. How to view any other files if it really exists there. Before I format this drive, I want to make it sure that I am not deleting or formatting contents which are important to me. Please help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ashok K Bagaria

:)

Ashok Kumar Bag, Sep 27, 2016
  2. meeko427 Win User

C: drive full after windows 10 upgrade from windows 7

after upgrading to windows 10 i performed a system restore to have a clean system. after the reboot my C: drive is almost full. i went to settings, system, storage, to see what was occupying space. i found that my "other" storage category is occupying
    399 GB but the contents of the folder only hold less than 1. can someone help me free this space from my C drive.

meeko427, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Cannot See Content on Windows Phone 8

I think the windows phone desktop app is broken Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied :(

For me it shows the space that is occupied on the phone like so much and so is for music, video and such. However, it does not show the actual contents. The Windows 8 (metro) app shows the contents. It's odd!

Jay_answers, Sep 27, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

Can you post a picture of your disk management ?
    Folders $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information are automatically created when disk/Partition are formatted by windows ever since W7 and maybe Vista.
    $RECYCLE.BIN can be eliminated or size allocated for it changed in bin properties:

Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied [​IMG]

CountMike, Sep 27, 2016
Thema:

Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

1. Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied - Similar Threads - Contents visible Drive

2. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  3. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  4. Invisible folders/files occupying space on C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invisible folders/files occupying space on C Drive: On my Desktop Win 8.1, the Properties dialog for all folder shows they occupy 133 GB space. The chkdsk command shows that 143 GB space is occupied. I can't find out who has occupied this 10 GB space. I need to recover this to make space on my hard drive.What can I do to get...
  5. Invisible folders/files occupying space on C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invisible folders/files occupying space on C Drive: On my Desktop Win 8.1, the Properties dialog for all folder shows they occupy 133 GB space. The chkdsk command shows that 143 GB space is occupied. I can't find out who has occupied this 10 GB space. I need to recover this to make space on my hard drive.What can I do to get...
  6. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive: basically my c drive has 217gb storage ssd of which 103 gb is shown as used space . when I select all the files in c drive and check on properties only 40 gb is shown as size on disk .then i should have have additional 77 gb storage kindly help me windows 10 os...
  7. Unknown files occupying space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown files occupying space: My laptop has space issues. The SSD has 237 space capacity, using around 110gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleted windows.old folder, deleted all system restore files, limited space usage by system restore,...
  8. 3gb space occupied in empty drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    3gb space occupied in empty drives: 3gb space occupied in empty drives if I format it then it is only 107 MB but after some time again it becomes 3 - 4 gb occupied i have enabled show hidden files and folders also but there are no hidden files or folders. I have taken a screenshot of the same Both drive D and...
  9. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.: This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive. There are no hidden files that might be acquiring the space. This usually happens the drive which is talked about above is E when I make a...
  10. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.: [ATTACH] This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive. There are no hidden files that might be acquiring the space. This usually happens ( the drive which is talked about above is E )...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disk space occupied but not visible