Windows 10: Context Menu Problem

Discus and support Context Menu Problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I right-click on an executable, the context menu shows "%1 %* instead of Run. [img] The executable runs when I click "%1 %* I searched the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BrianDunkin, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Context Menu Problem

When I right-click on an executable, the context menu shows "%1 %* instead of Run.

Context Menu Problem [​IMG]

The executable runs when I click "%1 %*
    I searched the registry but could not find a "%1 %* value.
    I have no idea how this happened.
    How can I change it back to Run.

Thanks for your help.

:)

BrianDunkin, Jan 1, 2017
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Context Menu Problem

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could occur due to incompatible or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods

below which can help us resolving this issue.

Method 1: Perform System Maintenance troubleshooter.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all on the left side panel.
    • Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2: Check in safe mode and clean boot mode of the computer

Step 1: Check in Safe mode

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.
    • Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.
    • Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
    • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.
    • If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click advanced options.
    • Tap or click Startup Settings.
    • Tap or click Restart.
    • On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode.
    • Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

You can restart the computer to put it back in
    normal mode.

If the issue doesn’t occur in safe mode, follow step 2.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a “clean boot” in Windows

Refer to Windows 8.1 steps, as they are applicable to Windows 10.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If this lets you log in, follow the steps below.

Method 3: Update display adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the graphics/display drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your display device.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    Restart the computer and check.

You can get back to us if you have any difficulties in doing the same. We are always here to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Jan 1, 2017
  3. Quick Access Crashes Explorer

I was having the same problem for few days. Later I discovered that it was happening due to context menu integration of Format Factory. I removed "add to system context menu" from FF and that solved the problem. I think some (but Not ALL) third party applications
    that adds option to the context menu are causing this problem.

Note: To remove from context menu I had to run FF with administration privilege .

Khuerustom, Jan 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Context Menu Problem

Hello Brian, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It looks like one of those context menu items had messed with the registry entry for "open". If you like, you could download and merge the .reg file for the exe in the table of OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the default association and registry entries for .exe files.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jan 1, 2017
  5. Thanks. I tried that but it did not solve the problem.

BrianDunkin, Jan 1, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 1, 2017
  7. aha...

Brilliant!
    You found the "%1 %* value.
    I'm surprised I couldn't find it searching with regedit.

Now...how do I fix it?

Thank you.

Brian

BrianDunkin, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Context Menu Problem

I see the problem. Something modified your default entries for open. Downloading, merging, and approving the .reg file below should sort this for you.

exefile.reg

Brink, Jan 1, 2017
  9. That fixed it.
    Thanks very much. I appreciate your help.

Brian

BrianDunkin, Jan 1, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Brian. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Context Menu Problem

1. Context Menu Problem - Similar Threads - Context Menu Problem

2. context menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    context menu: i just reinstalled windows but when we right click on desktop which shows refresh option it i s always showing to my left . the menu opens to the left of my mouse.should not it be opening to the right of my mouse...
  3. W10 Open with context menu problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 Open with context menu problem: Hi, I recently did a system "fresh start" on my laptop (to keep existing user folders/files and drivers etc), as it had slowed up a bit. This took about 20 minutes, it removed all the 3rd party apps, and the pc is functioning fine, however, I soon found out that there is a...
  4. W10 Open with context menu problem

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Open with context menu problem: Hi, I recently did a system "fresh start" on my laptop (to keep existing user folders/files and drivers etc), as it had slowed up a bit. This took about 20 minutes, it removed all the 3rd party apps, and the pc is functioning fine, however, I soon found out that there is a...
  5. context menu problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    context menu problem: Hovering with the mouse on a context menu it usually highlighted the options, now it doesn't, but only for the menus opened upon the desktop or a regular folder, the menus opened on a browser page like this one works as usual. How can i get back the highlight on all menus...
  6. Context menu problem

Context menu problem: The very first right click on the desktop take ages to respond on my windows 10 os laptop . But after the first click responds everything is running smooth and good. But only the first right click is very delayed ....please help with this...
  7. Windows Desktop Context Menu Problem

Windows Desktop Context Menu Problem: Hello, I recently reset my Laptop, but I notice as soon as I click right click on the Desktop, the blue progressbar appears for more than 5 mins after that the context menu occurs. not only that during that time the icons on the Desktop as well as the Desktop itself freezes....
  8. Context menu problem

Context menu problem: Hello, Everyone! Ever since 1903 came out I have noticed then I right-click on [ATTACH] file explorer the context menu open but some of the time it doesn't. Also when in "Setting/Update & Security" when clicking on it it seems to freeze up. Does anyone else have these...
  9. context menue

in Windows 10 Customization
    context menue: my context menu does not show the ability to set windows in a pattern ,side by side etc. how can this be add? all tutorial for moving windows into various groupings start with right clicking to get the context menu which has these patterns....
  10. Problem with context menu

Problem with context menu: When I right click on the desktop and choose the item, it gets stuck on the screen. Then I right click again and it works. It is the context menu broken, I think, because it is greyed out until the cursor points at it....